PDA

View Full Version : Which A5 buffer?

RD62
11-05-11, 21:55
I am considering converting my 10.5" LMT SBR and 16" BCM Middy over to the Vltor A5 system and giving that a shot.

I will be buying the tubes, buffers, and springs to make the conversion and wanted to know what those of you with experience using the A5 system recommended, as far as buffers were concerned, to maximize the benefits of this system with these uppers?

Also as I understand it the A5 utilizes a standard rifle recoil spring correct? Again is there one you recommend over another or should I just grab a couple of Colt springs?

Thanks for any tips you can share based on your experience.

If I have missed a previous thread on this topic please point me in the right direction.

Magic_Salad0892
11-05-11, 22:08
I like the Sprinco GREEN springs.

Colt M16A2 springs work as well.

I'd use the standard A5 buffer, and make sure it works before just buying an extra one.

jonconsiglio
11-05-11, 22:54
Stick with the standard rifle spring and the standard A5 buffer. I run this on all but my 14.5" middy and it's extremely reliable. It allows all types of ammo in my LMT mk18, suppressed or not.

There's no need to mess around with other springs unless there's some specific reason it's required.

Belmont31R
11-05-11, 23:00
I run the standard A5 buffer and spring that came with the kit. Ive shot it on both an SR15 (on there now) and LT Stealth 16". Both shot fine with it, and my SR15 will still shoot soft shooting steel case.

RD62
11-06-11, 18:01
So standard A5 buffer with both the middy and the SBR?

OK.

jonconsiglio
11-06-11, 18:04
So standard A5 buffer with both the middy and the SBR?

OK.

Definitely, unless there's something that requires a heavier buffer, which I doubt.

krichbaum
11-06-11, 18:52
I've been using the standard A5 buffer and spring, mainly with my 12.5" upper. With ammo ranging from weak hand loads to 5.56 factory loads, and both suppressed and un-suppressed, I've had absolutely no issues. I've also used the A5 setup with a DD 16" midlength, un-suppressed, and no issues on that one either.