PDA

View Full Version : Dressing Game knife

rickp
11-06-11, 09:31
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good knife used for dressing. Something that can be supper sharp and small. I don't think it needs to be a big knife for this purpose.

Thanks
R

Dave L.
11-06-11, 10:31
Buy an $18-$40 Mora Knife; easy to sharpen, lightweight, and cheap. The stainless is obviously more maintenance free when dealing with blood, but their carbon/Triflex blades will probably hold an edge longer.
Here is a good selection:
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Mora-Knives/products/731/

I have a Bushmaster Triflex, Orange Stainless Clipper (now the Companion), and the Army Stainless. I carry the super bright orange Clipper/Companion (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Mora-Clipper-Fluorescent-Companion/productinfo/118%2D0024/)out with me hunting...impossible to lose.

*I drill a hole in the bottom of all the handles and run a 550-cord lanyard through them.

rickp
11-06-11, 11:22
thanks, that's what I was looking for.

R>

Dave L.
11-06-11, 11:29
thanks, that's what I was looking for.

R>

Rick,
Check out this thread about Mora's:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74588

Chromium4500
11-06-11, 14:07
I use the 3" blade on my Leatherman. The small blade is just the right size to field-dress a deer and the stainless tool steal blade holds an edge like a knife that cost 10x as much.

rickp
11-06-11, 17:06
Thats good to know since i have one. Thanks

DTHN2LGS
11-07-11, 15:13
I have been using my Leatherman Wave for dressing deer for several years and it works great.

DemonRat
11-08-11, 01:07
I use a Wyoming knife I have the smaller one and it works great light weight small enough to put on ur belt and not even notice it. I have been using one of these for over 15 years now. Works great on large and small game.

http://www.wyomingknife.com/knives.htm

crossgun
11-08-11, 04:40
Take a look at Knives of Alaska

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/

icnodeer
12-14-11, 20:37
I'm a really big fan of the Buck Diamondback knives. My dad and I process a lot of animals each year and that's all we use for skinning. There is a big model and a small model. I like the small one, since it's more versatile. It's tricky trying to skin and cut up a squirrel with a big knife, but the small version works great. If you really want to see how good your skinning knife is, skin a wild hog. Most cheap knives won't make it through one without having to sharpen it before you're finished. I've skinned 3 with one knife without ever having to hit a stone.

LHS
12-14-11, 21:38
I used a Roger Massey custom drop point for several years. It's a beautiful knife, and did everything I asked of it. But truthfully, a Wyoming knife is just hard to beat. It's cheap, very effective, and easy to maintain. I love my Massey and wouldn't part with it for the world, but these days I just bring my Wyoming knife into the woods.

HELLABEN
02-21-12, 01:19
i have been told on several occasions that things like box cutters and the snap-off blade utility knife work great, and you just replace the blade

if i were to process a large animal i would use things like saws and large butchers knife

Bruce in WV
02-21-12, 06:30
The Green River upsweeping blade design has been a standby for back country trappers and hunters in North America for two centuries. Several brands make clones; pick the steel you prefer and never look back. While its not tacticool, its as practical as the day is long.

dutch308
02-21-12, 11:17
Try on of the Havalon Piranta knives at www.havalon.com. They use scalpal blades. My brothers and I all have them and they work great for skinning big and small game. the blades can be bought in bulk from amazon and other sites. I have about 200 spares for mine. Cabela's has them for about $39.

dirt_diver
02-21-12, 12:29
Try on of the Havalon Piranta knives at www.havalon.com. They use scalpal blades. My brothers and I all have them and they work great for skinning big and small game. the blades can be bought in bulk from amazon and other sites. I have about 200 spares for mine. Cabela's has them for about $39.

Big +1
They are wicked sharp and surprisingly durable.

nineteenkilo
02-22-12, 09:34
I've skinned a few hundred deer in my life along with what amounts to probably thousands of small game critters. I can only tell you what I normally use. If you look around any big box building store you can find a carpet knife. It looks like like a regular extending box cutter, but has a small hook on the blade. This little thing makes all hide cuts perfect with no worry about smelly boo-boo's happening.

The knife I normally skin with is a small Schrade 30T and it performs just fine. I'll also second the mora knives mentioned above. They are one hell of a stout little knife for very few dollars.

Seriously, the only thing really important to skinning is the edge. If it gets dull, you will work yourself to death trying to shuck critters.

the_master_midget
03-19-12, 00:11
I personally like any knife made from d2 steel for skinning/dressing game. the blade is great for cutting and holds and edge forever. I prefer a 5 inch non serrated fixed blade. My second choice would be a 1095 carbon blade. I have used a havalon knife with replaceable blades but a muddy boar will smoke blades and you will be cursing the damn thing. for the money I think the knives of ak are great plus you can get it with an orange grip. I have lost a ton of stuff at night from setting it down. Orange is a great color and your eye can pick it up as the last color in total darkness. Working in AK in summer ya don't really need a flashlight at 1am so I didn't carry one.

One thing to remember d2 steel blades will chip easier if you use it to chop stuff so learn to cut tenons/ligaments to make your separations. 1095 is a better all around steel if you wanted a survival knife also. Stainless only if you work on a fishing boat my emerson cqc 7 held up well, but it is used as a basic utility knife. Just my opinion

Magwa
04-05-12, 07:34
keep it simple get a good quality butcher knife Chicago cutlery for example 6 inch blade will do elk deer moose whatever and it is great steel and stays sharp when you have to dismember a animal their are many ligaments and joints to take apart a butcher knife works awesome for this task and it works great for cutting around the diaphragm of animals and for cutting around the anus for gutting ...IMO

SHIVAN
04-05-12, 09:08
I use the Knives of Alaska "Cub Bear" (http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=28&r=store.asp%3Fc%3D15). D2 steel, and awesome size for whitetail, antelope, mule deer, etc.

$55,

mallowpufft
04-05-12, 11:59
I keep a Mora in my car and stick it in my bag any time I'm going after anything larger than coyotes.

For the little critters I find that a Case Trapper or Stockman works perfectly. Doesn't lock but I've never had that be a problem. An old timer that I learned a lot from when I was first starting to hunt used a folding pocket knife (usually a Stockman) to skin deer white tail.

Lee D
04-05-12, 18:22
ive been using a Buck 112 for 20+ years. quality knife and very affordable.