PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and opinions

Coastiejohn
11-06-11, 10:23
So I have and 2006 Rem870 tactical in OD green with the knoxx recoil reducing stock. It has been a occasional 3 gun shooter for me mostly and that is about it, not even really a home defense gun.

While just searching around on the net stumbled into this, http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/.

Found some threads on ARF.com and a few other places and the guy selling them seems to be legit/well spoken about, and those that have shot it seem to like it.

MY 870 has always been a bit unwieldily feeling to me and since it is kinda a range/hobby gun i am thinking about taking the plunge with this. The few three guns i have shot I think this would have worked well, but don't know if i start to shoot more advanced courses if it will help or hurt. So what do you guys think, take a chance or pass?

Tomac
11-06-11, 15:29
I've got one on preorder w/an 870 HD Express for the donor and have no problems being the guinea pig this time around (28" OAL would be great for HD, IMHO).
Personally, based upon everything I've read/heard about it, it looks good so if you're on the fence just hang tight for 2-3 weeks and I'll post a range report w/pics.
Tomac

Coastiejohn
11-06-11, 19:17
If you don't plan on a a full review thread keep me posted in a pm, my main question is quality obviously, and how the trigger mechanism works and feels.

Tomac
11-06-11, 20:31
If you don't plan on a a full review thread keep me posted in a pm, my main question is quality obviously, and how the trigger mechanism works and feels.

Will do!
Tomac

jaxman7
11-06-11, 21:57
Out of curiousity, why does the 870 feel unwieldy?

-Jax

Tomac
11-07-11, 06:31
-Jax

I have no problems using any full-length longarm but after using bullpups for awhile you become really concious of the differences in perceived weight & balance.
I find I much prefer the speed & handling of bullpups, especially in tight quarters like a HD situation.
If this experiment w/the bullpup 870 doesn't work to my satisfaction then I still have a std 870 pump.
Tomac

SHARP1983
11-07-11, 07:51
They look pretty neat but that means nothing if the quality and reliability isn't there. Looking forward to seeing a long term/overall range report.

a0cake
11-07-11, 08:48
I don't know about you but my normal cheek to stock weld would put my face dangerously close to, if not on top of, the ejection port with that setup. Shooting it right handed wouldn't be too much of an issue since the face would be on top of the ejection, but I could easily see an issue left handed. Just my opinion though, I'm sure it may work for some, and I've never tried it.

Coastiejohn
11-07-11, 11:17

-Jax

In its current config it just feels very long and cumbersome when doing multiple target transitions. In the coast guard we use 870s with 14" barrels and I feel I can swing that around twice as fast as my long barreled 870. A bullpup might give me that same feel. The video I saw online looks like the shell ejection is close but not danger close to the face for right handed, for a lefty it definitely looks like a no-go, other than 1 or 2 shots reaction hand. I also have long arms so the LOP for a bullpup doesn't look to be much of an issue, and loading might be a hair faster having the loading and ejection port closer to the body and the grip more centered on the weapon. And again if it doesn't work out it will end up being a $300 "oh well I tried" and I still have a normal 870.