PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Safariland 5188 hosters?

excatm76
11-06-11, 10:29
I'm getting ready to order a few holsters and wanted to get some opinions onthe safariland 5188 paddle holsters. They are appealing since they meet a lot of the criteria I have for a holster, belt loop and paddle option, high ride, available for al the platform I own with and without lights attached, easy on the guns finish, reputiable maker, no isane wait times and reasonable cost.

My big conearn and the reason I haven't oprdered them yet is that they are made with injection molding. It's my understanding that injection molded kydex is a bad thing and genrally produces a weaker product, ala fobus and uncle mikes. However I assume since it is a Safilaminate product it will hold up as well as the 6004, wich have an outstanding reputation.

So I guess my question is, has anyone heard of or seen any failures out of the 5188/5187 series of hosters from safariland?

Jim D
11-07-11, 13:29
They're not duty holsters, nor built to withstand duty type use.

I wouldn't worry about one breaking.

They're built for gun games and the like, no retention, not that concealable, etc.

I wouldn't get hung up on the injection molding bit. Blade Tech has a number of injection molded products that have held up just fine for most folks.

markm
11-07-11, 13:49
I wouldn't worry about one breaking.

I would. Mine cracked.

They're built for gun games and the like, no retention, not that concealable, etc.

Have you tried one? My 5188 was the best concealment holster I ever owned. It just cracked when pulling on it a little to get the paddle out of my pants. :(

excatm76
11-07-11, 20:00
Did it crack at the paddle or on the holster body itself?

xcibes
11-07-11, 20:13
I don't have a 5188 but I do have a safariland paddle holster. It rides very high...too high for my taste, the paddle is HUGE and it bites on my hip. Only way I can wear it is way back. If I wear it on the side it is painful. It extends outwards a lot more than the crappy Blackhawk CQC it replaces so it will take some getting used to. I will probably replace the paddle with a belt adapter as it is just plain uncomfortable for me. Of course it is entirely possible that this is all my fault fornot knowing how to wear it properly but still, safariland and paddle does not work well for me.

markm
11-07-11, 21:35
Did it crack at the paddle or on the holster body itself?

Just got it out to look. It's cracked at the body... JUST below where the paddle screws go in. The suede liner is holding it together still... but it's flopping.

I suppose I could bug Safariland to replace it. It's too bad. I love everything about that holster except that it'll crack.

Jim D
11-07-11, 22:18
Just got it out to look. It's cracked at the body... JUST below where the paddle screws go in. The suede liner is holding it together still... but it's flopping.

I suppose I could bug Safariland to replace it. It's too bad. I love everything about that holster except that it'll crack.

I'm honestly surprised by that. I work for a Safariland dealer/ distributor and I've not seen that happen on any of their holsters.

I'd be interested in pics if you get a chance. I'm curious now...

Exiledviking
11-07-11, 22:41
I also have several Safariland holsters and I have not had any trouble with them. Most of mine are 568/567s and a couple others.

markm
11-08-11, 06:56
I'm honestly surprised by that. I work for a Safariland dealer/ distributor and I've not seen that happen on any of their holsters.

I'd be interested in pics if you get a chance. I'm curious now...

I'll get some tonight when I get home. The thing is dusty since it broke a long time ago.... but I couldn't bring myself to trash it.

kmrtnsn
11-08-11, 09:21
I'm not a big fan of paddle holsters. The 5188 about requires the removal of your pants to remove the holster due to the exaggerated locking tab. Taking a Dremel tool to the tab helps somewhat. I'd recommend finding a belt mount holster.

markm
11-08-11, 09:24
I'm not a big fan of paddle holsters. The 5188 about requires the removal of your pants to remove the holster due to the exaggerated locking tab. Taking a Dremel tool to the tab helps somewhat. I'd recommend finding a belt mount holster.

That's how I cracked mine. I didn't think I was pulling on it hard enough to break it though. That paddle indeed is a muther to get off.

operator81
11-08-11, 09:32
I had an 0702 crack in the exact same fashion/location as you describe. Happened the same way too, trying to wrestle the paddle when removing the holster. I ran it for about 5 more years cracked and didn't have any issues.