PDA

View Full Version : Failure to go all the way into battery

DeviousMind
11-06-11, 14:52
Hey all, kinda new to the 1911 platform. Have the Ruger 1911 and have put about 1200 rounds thru it and still getting the trouble, a little push from the back usually fixes the issue. Happens on all mags and all different kinds of ammo. So my question is should I switch to a stiffer sping? Or should I just keep putting rounds thru it?

hill
11-06-11, 16:05
Your saying "still" does this mean the pistol has done this since new out of the box? 1200 rounds isn't really enough to wear out the recoil spring and going to a heavier spring should not be the answer...could be the feed ramp is a little resistant and would benifit from a little polishing...you might call Ruger for an opinion...they may send you a spring or a return label depending.:big_boss:

xRUSTYx
11-06-11, 16:46
Sounds like a recoil spring issue.

I'd start by contacting Ruger, and see if they will send you a recoil spring assembly free. If that doesn't fix the issue, it may be time for a trip back to Ruger. Their CS is pretty good :)

patrolman
11-06-11, 19:33
It doesn't sound ammo-dependent, so it may be an extractor issue. I've seen a few 1911's (not Ruger) where a little too much tension on the extractor caused binding during feeding. Just a thought.

RiflemanBobcat
11-07-11, 02:42
I have an issue like this with my SA Loaded 1911...more so when it was newer, less so now but it has happened recently.

Every once in a while, the slide will stop about 1/8"-1/4" from being fully in battery.
An upward tap to the magazine has, thus far, sorted it out just about 100% of the time...I think there may have been a couple times when I just did the "tap, rack, reassess" if the tap didn't solve problems by itself.

I'm thinking, since this has happened with the factory magazines and with 2 different generations of Chip McCormick PowerMags (7- and 8-stamped mag tubes), that either I'm just really unlucky with magazines, or it's an extractor issue.

Edit to add that this has happened with Wolff 18.5lb, Wolff 16lb, and factory-OEM recoil springs installed, as that was my first thought about the cause, and therefore the first attempt at solving it.

Problem is, I'm not sure which direction the issue is pointing, if it is the extractor...that is, I don't know whether this means it's a bit too tight or not quite tight enough.
I'm leaning towards "too much tension by a bit," given the number of times I've heard about SA 1911s having excessive tension from the factory. And the fact that the extractor retains a live round (when pistol is field-stripped and the round is manually placed under the extractor) even when the round is below center on the breach face and the slide is shaken a bit.
I've been told that if the round is just below center on the stripped slide, the extractor should not quite be able to hold onto it during mild shaking of the slide.

Anyone know how one might confirm and possibly correct this?

Dienekes
11-07-11, 23:17
At a guess (and that's what posting these sorts of things will get you) I'd attribute it to extractor tension/claw shape, feed ramp smoothness, and breech face roughness, in that general order. If Ruger will pay shipping both ways, send it in and let them deal with it. A lot of things have to work just so to get the pistol to feed, let alone cycle. But if you're getting this after 1200 rounds, different mags and different ammo, it's a gun issue. Let the people who made it fight it.

Bigun
11-16-11, 01:40
At a guess (and that's what posting these sorts of things will get you) I'd attribute it to extractor tension/claw shape, feed ramp smoothness, and breech face roughness, in that general order. If Ruger will pay shipping both ways, send it in and let them deal with it. A lot of things have to work just so to get the pistol to feed, let alone cycle. But if you're getting this after 1200 rounds, different mags and different ammo, it's a gun issue. Let the people who made it fight it.

Yank the original extractor and toss it in the garbage install either a Wilson Bulletproof, EGW, C&S or other billet part and never look back. I Have given up hope that any of the fly by night 1911 manufacturers can get a extractor right. This part causes more people to sour on the 1911 platform than any other.

Army Chief
11-16-11, 06:38
Had this problem with a new gun recently (until break in). Definitely would check the extractor tension before doing anything else.

AC