PDA

View Full Version : Which magnified red dot?

Littlelebowski
11-24-07, 12:40
I prefer a little magnification for shooting back home in Wyoming but I'd like a red dot of some sort for classes once my arm heals up. In the middle of a build and would like to hear your input between the Aimpoint Compc 2x or an ACOG.

EmanP
11-24-07, 12:50
Everything I've heard about the Comp 2X says to stay away from them. There's a reason that no one runs them.

Littlelebowski
11-24-07, 13:01
How about the Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x24 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=140)? Would this offer Short-Dot like functionality?

C4IGrant
11-24-07, 13:03
Pass on the Aimpoint 2X Aimpoint.

The compact ACOG line is very good (especially the TA33 series).

The Trijicon Accupoint is also a good scope for the money.

C4

Littlelebowski
11-24-07, 13:06
So the Accupoint would handle classes and plinking in Wyoming?

C4IGrant
11-24-07, 13:13
So the Accupoint would handle classes and plinking in Wyoming?

Yes.

C4

Akoni
11-24-07, 13:23
I prefer a little magnification for shooting back home in Wyoming but I'd like a red dot of some sort for classes once my arm heals up. In the middle of a build and would like to hear your input between the Aimpoint Compc 2x or an ACOG.

Aimpoint M3/ML3 and the Aimpoint 3x magnifier in LT mounts. IMO, there is no better GP sub-300m setup. Between the two choices you listed, I'd pick some flavor of ACOG.

Littlelebowski
11-24-07, 13:30
Aimpoint M3/ML3 and the Aimpoint 3x magnifier in LT mounts. IMO, there is no better GP sub-300m setup. Between the two choices you listed, I'd pick some flavor of ACOG.

Yeah, that combo you listed is a bit high priced for me unless I find something used which I'm open to. I've seen some posts on here mentioning the ACOG is less than ideal for CQB which doesn't bother me because I'm no longer active duty :D

So right now, we're leaning towards an Accupoint or an ACOG.

Littlelebowski
11-24-07, 13:46
To help clarify things, I'm interested in 3 gun and one of Pat's classes. Also, dinging prairie dogs and rabbits on the ranch :D

I have a 22-250 for serious prairie doggin'.

Akoni
11-24-07, 13:49
Yeah, that combo you listed is a bit high priced for me unless I find something used which I'm open to. I've seen some posts on here mentioning the ACOG is less than ideal for CQB which doesn't bother me because I'm no longer active duty :D

An ACOG with some sort of QD mount is pretty pricey also. I've never used the Accupoint but I have a Shortdot and find it to be superb glass but quite heavy in a CQB scenario, quite heavy for a 4x optic and in reality, I never run it at other magnifications. It is either at 1x or 4x. Not sure how much lighter the Accupoint is. If a majority of your need is CQB, I'd get the Aimpoint now and the magnifier later.

Submariner
11-24-07, 15:25
If a majority of your need is CQB, I'd get the Aimpoint now and the magnifier later.

Ditto.

Since from your location, you probably will not be diving, look at the Aimpoint C3 2 MOA, used (I got one on this board with an LT Cantilever Mount for $340) and a used 3X Magnifier (got one on TOS for less than $300). All I need is the LT Pivot Mount to replace the fixed mount I am using. Best of both worlds and isn't that much more than an ACOG with an LT mount.

Patience and persistence saves money.

USMC03
11-24-07, 17:38

Some thoughts on both the ACOG and Accupoint:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

Having used both, I prefer the ACOG. Of the ACOG series I prefer the TA11 due to it's generous eye relief.

I've haven't gotten my hands on a TA33, but it seems that everyone that I've come across that has trigger time on the TA33 really likes them.

Down side to the TA31 / TA01 / TA01NSN is the short eye relief. I found that I was MUCH slower with the TA31 due to the short eye relief.

I wouldn't recommend using an ACOG for a training class. But there are many options currently avalible on the market (ie. Aimpoint + 3x magnifier or ACOG and Aimpoint both in LaRue mounts and chage the optics out as needed, etc.)

-Jeff

Dport
11-24-07, 17:44
Here's what I would do. I would order a Aimpoint CompC3 w/2MOA dot with a LaRue cantilever mount from one of the sponsors here (GandRTactical is a good place to start). Then I'd get a LaRue "PoBoy" special from LaRue Tactical.

The Combo from Grant goes for $595 with an M3 (I don't see the C3 on his site, but I know he has talked about them.).
The PoBoy special goes for $195 at LaRue.

Not as much magnification as a 3x ACOG (the PoBoy only has a 2.5x, but you were looking at 2x Aimpoints, so it didn't appear you wanted a lot of magnification.), but it would be a bit cheaper.

Don Robison
11-24-07, 17:51
I haven't gotten to run it hard yet, but I've been impressed so far with my Millett DMs-1 in a LaRue SPR mount.

Littlelebowski
11-25-07, 11:17
Really appreciate the help so far, guys.

chad
11-26-07, 20:01
How about the Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x24 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=140)? Would this offer Short-Dot like functionality?

LL,

Drop me a line if you want to play before you pay.

Chad

Littlelebowski
11-26-07, 20:23
Dang, Chad. Not only are you the nicest guy in the optics industry, you're also the best looking :D

Littlelebowski
11-27-07, 17:00
PM out.