PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: SW 642

Warg
11-07-11, 10:50
I recently acquired a like new Smith & Wesson 642 on a trade and would like some advice on acessories, upgrades, etc.

A little background
First, I'll admit that I'm not a revolver guy. I have lots of semis that I shoot quite a bit, but I can see that I need to spend lots of quality time with this gun before I feel comfortable carrying it.

I've been looking at small revolvers for pocket carry for a while and have shot other J-frames (442s) and the Ruger LCR in side-by-side comparisons. Like many others, I like the the LCRs trigger a lot better as well as those equipped with upgraded sights. I passed in getting the Ruger since it was recently released and I wanted to see how it fared over the next couple of years.

The 642 I've just acquired is the base model with factory (non Crimson Trace) grips and sights. I put 125 rounds through it yesterday and can confirm that it works, but isn't perfect by any means.

I'd like to setup the gun now and work with it for a while rather than continually messing with it.

Issues

Trigger is typical J-frame. I don't mind it that much and probably wouldn't care had I not shot the LCR, but was wondering if the Apex upgrade is worth it, reliable, etc?

The sights. I can resolve these a bit better on the 642 vs. the all black 442, but they're still challenging to work with indoors. I was planning on getting laser grips anyway, but am unsure which CT grips to get. As per the intended use- pocket carry if that matters.

Holsters. Have no idea what to look at. Again, this will be for pocket carry only.

Ammo. What should I be practicing with? These guns are snappy and I'd like to practice with rounds that are similar to defensive loads, but would like to shoot less expensive ammo a large proportion of the time for practice if possibe.

Training. How many rounds per range outing do you all recommend? To be honest I was getting a little tired of the revolver after 125 rounds yesterday using Remington 130 gr UMC. Switching to a 9mm semi afterward was like shooting rimfire.

Anthing else?

Thanks! :thank_you2:

ImBroke
11-07-11, 12:21
For the points that I can answer:
1. get some white and bright orange paint. Paint the front sight white first and then orange. It will help you see it a little easier.
2. The 305s are the most comfortable to shoot but you might not be able to fit them in your pocket. I'd go to a gun store that has the CT display and see if you can pocket their display model. If it doesn't fit, the 405s are the way to go out of the smaller models. The recoil pocket works well.
3. DeSantis Nemesis has more reliable release than the Uncle Mikes/Blackhawk model.
4. Pick the cheapest round that has similar ballistics or hits to similar point of impact as your self defense load.
5. Dry fire is more important with a J frame than almost any other handgun. Do it until your front sight doesn't twitch when the hammer falls.

GrandPooba
11-07-11, 12:48
The apex kit is the single best thing you can do to your j-frame. I put it in and dry fired a few hundred rounds. The trigger is now way lighter and smoother than stock. I used to have issues shooting weak handed only due to the extremely heavy trigger pull, but no longer.

I pocket carry in the Desantis nemesis. Works pretty well. I recommend pants with darker colors and deeper pockets.

I painted the front sight with Testors enamel modeling paint. Makes it easier to pick up.

For training, I'll shoot a mix of rounds. Usually reloaded 125gr wadcutters to practice general marksmanship, holster draws, etc. They are pretty soft shooting. I do other drills (reloads, etc) with 130gr FMJ. The 158gr's kick pretty hard in my opinion and I don't use them often. I usually shoot 100rds or less per training session. You will need to be more judicious with your practice as the j-frame is not comfortable to shoot for extended periods of time.

ewenit
11-07-11, 13:31
Here's my take on your questions, remember this is very much my personal opinion and I am in no way anywhere close to an expert on the subject. :)

1. I don't know about the apex kits, but if you install one let us know how it works out. (I have a wolff kit that I'm installing once I get back)

2. Slapping a little modeling paint or nail polish on the front sight will help you pick it up a lot easier, or you could have a bead installed (that would be pretty cool). I wish I could help you out with any knowledge on the CT grips but I'm wrong handed and heard they don't work well for my type of folks, though I've never really had the opportunity to find out.

3. I personally use a Blackhawk pocket holster and I really enjoy it.

4. I practice pretty much with whatever ball ammo I can get my hands on. Though in a perfect world you would use a training ammo that flies similar to your defense ammo. (e.g. speer lawman to speer gold dots)

5. For practice I usually shoot about 50-100 per session but the bulk of your practice will be dry firing.

I hope that any of this was a help for you, let us know how it all turns out.

Eliakim
11-07-11, 17:36
I like my S&W 642. below are a few suggestions in Blue

Issues

Trigger is typical J-frame. I don't mind it that much and probably wouldn't care had I not shot the LCR, but was wondering if the Apex upgrade is worth it, reliable, etc? Try a couple of drops of oil and some dryfire with snapcaps. It will make the trigger smoother and strengthen your trigger finger. It's cheaper than a trigger job

The sights. I can resolve these a bit better on the 642 vs. the all black 442, but they're still challenging to work with indoors. I was planning on getting laser grips anyway, but am unsure which CT grips to get. As per the intended use- pocket carry if that matters.Paint the front sight a bright color. I painted mine blaze orange. It's cheaper than a laser

Holsters. Have no idea what to look at. Again, this will be for pocket carry only. DeSantis makes good pocket holsters. I like the Super Fly®, but it's more expensive than the Nemesis®

Anthing else?

zacii
11-07-11, 18:18
I can only answer a couple of your questions.

I use a Mika pocket holster. It's designed a bit differently to allow you to index the pistol before drawing. One thing I don't like is that retention is achieved only by gravity. This isn't a problem, though, until you recline your la-z-boy while wearing slacks and your pistol slides out. Not good.

Regarding ammo, I tried the +p stuff from Buffalo Bore, but found it was to stiff for me. I use the standard pressure, low flash ammo instead. It's still a handful, but more manageable for me.

Warg
11-07-11, 18:21
Appreciate the constructive responses.

I think I have the trigger finger strength upgrade covered, though :smile:

SeriousStudent
11-07-11, 19:35
I have installed an Apex Tactical kit in my 642, and really like it a great deal. Trigger pull is positive, with no light strikes. Primers show good solid indentation, and no issues were observed in 114 rounds fired so far. It's very easy, if you follow the Youtube video Scott Folk did.

This was with reloads using Federal small pistol primers and factory .38 Gold Dots. My carry load is the Speer .38 Short Barrel Gold Dots. They are also quite accurate in my particular pistol.

I would also strongly recommend a Crimson Trace 405 grip. The padded backstrap makes for easier practice sessions, and is worth the additional cost.

I use several holsters. The Desantis Nemesis, the Mika, and a nice thin leather pocket holster from RKBA holsters.

I usually do 60 rounds per session, making sure that each round is fired correctly. By that, I mean that I do not just yank it from the pocket and blaze merrily away. I'm working hard to make sure El Snatcho does not visit me on the range, or real life. No training scars.

Enjoy your pistol. I think every person that carries a pistol should have a 642 around for a backup.

Jake'sDad
11-09-11, 01:50
Enjoy your pistol. I think every person that carries a pistol should have a 642 around for a backup.

The 642, like the 870, and the 10-22, has become the everyone should have one gun.

skyugo
11-09-11, 02:11
i use a nemesis holster... works good.
i'm going to start reloading for the gun because paying 17 bucks a box for 38 sucks... and because i'd like to soften up the recoil a bit. I use hornady critical defense 110 grain rounds for carry.
not an easy gun to master, but in many ways kind of optimized in the small/reliable/passable stopping power game.

35percent
12-01-11, 23:49
Absolutely have the sights on my 442 so it has CT gris on it but I still train with the stock sights occasionally, it's not my primary carry gun though.

sgtjosh
12-02-11, 14:45
I recently acquired a like new Smith & Wesson 642 on a trade and would like some advice on acessories, upgrades, etc.

A little background
First, I'll admit that I'm not a revolver guy. I have lots of semis that I shoot quite a bit, but I can see that I need to spend lots of quality time with this gun before I feel comfortable carrying it.

I've been looking at small revolvers for pocket carry for a while and have shot other J-frames (442s) and the Ruger LCR in side-by-side comparisons. Like many others, I like the the LCRs trigger a lot better as well as those equipped with upgraded sights. I passed in getting the Ruger since it was recently released and I wanted to see how it fared over the next couple of years.

The 642 I've just acquired is the base model with factory (non Crimson Trace) grips and sights. I put 125 rounds through it yesterday and can confirm that it works, but isn't perfect by any means.

I'd like to setup the gun now and work with it for a while rather than continually messing with it.

Issues

Trigger is typical J-frame. I don't mind it that much and probably wouldn't care had I not shot the LCR, but was wondering if the Apex upgrade is worth it, reliable, etc?

The sights. I can resolve these a bit better on the 642 vs. the all black 442, but they're still challenging to work with indoors. I was planning on getting laser grips anyway, but am unsure which CT grips to get. As per the intended use- pocket carry if that matters.

Holsters. Have no idea what to look at. Again, this will be for pocket carry only.

Ammo. What should I be practicing with? These guns are snappy and I'd like to practice with rounds that are similar to defensive loads, but would like to shoot less expensive ammo a large proportion of the time for practice if possibe.

Training. How many rounds per range outing do you all recommend? To be honest I was getting a little tired of the revolver after 125 rounds yesterday using Remington 130 gr UMC. Switching to a 9mm semi afterward was like shooting rimfire.

Anthing else?

I have not had a J-frame in 15 years, so this is all based upon my fond recollection of them.

J-frame triggers can be smoothed up. Simply polishing the surface of the rebound slide and the surface it contacts will do wonders. Don't try this if you are not qualified to crack the side plate. In my limited experience, it takes special tools to do it right.

I have no experience with laser grips, but can see the utility on a J-frame. The iron sights are what they are. Learn to use them as well as you can.

There are good pocket holsters available. A little Google-fu should turn up what is best these days.

Practice ammo....shoot what you can afford the most of.

Practice sessions...keep them short and frequent.

A tip to manage the recoil. Grip the gun really high on the backstrap. it will put the bore more in line with your forearm. This will allow you to lock your wrist forward. For me, this also puts the sights in pretty good alignment.

RDak
12-03-11, 05:20
Interesting info on this Apex upgrade.

I always used Wolff reduced power mainsprings and rebound springs.

Will check those out.

rjacobs
12-03-11, 10:38
In my limited experience, it takes special tools to do it right.

I guess I was un-aware that a small flat blade screwdriver and a paper clip were considered special tools. 3 flat blade screws for the side plate, paper clip for the main spring, flat blade screwdriver to work the rebound slide out. using a small flat blade screwdriver took me all of 5 seconds to remove the rebound slide and 5 seconds to put it back in. That and a little 600 grit sand paper/jewelers rouge on a dremel polishing tip had my rebound slide polished up nicely in about 5 minutes. I guess brownells does sell a $20 special tool to remove the rebound slide, but if I had bought it(and waited the week to get it) I would have been pissed off.

sgtjosh
12-03-11, 21:10
That is the tool I refer to. It really does make the process easier...YMMV

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jp0319
12-15-11, 09:20

A little background

Issues

Anthing else?

Trigger: Yes everything I have read leads me to believe the Apex J-Frame kit is worth it. I plan on putting one in my 340

Sights: Crimson Trace LG-105 for Pocket Carry under $200

Holster: Kramer Handgun Leather Pocket Holster (http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=25&categoryID=28) $99

Ammo: Try something like this 158gr LSWC ammo (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/500rds-38-special-remington-158gr-lead-semi-wadcutter-ammo/cName/38-special-wadcutter-ammo)

Training: Dont over do it at the range. Get some snap caps (2 sets) one in the pistol and one in a speed loader. Practice your draw from the pocket (you can do this at home) sight picture and trigger squeeze, re-load. This non shooting training will pay big dividends. Then when you go to the range (if they allow) replicate your dry training with live ammo so that you get the recoil aspect but don't shoot too much the last thing you want is to engrain a flinch from excessive recoil punishment on your hand.

JP

Hizzie
12-15-11, 11:46
I prefer SL Variant speedloader. Simply the fastest and most secure I have tried. Keep Bianchi Speed Strips or Tuff Products Quick Strips on hand as well, they are a great supplement.

Dummy rounds are neccessary. Lots of practice is required to be profecient at reloading. I prefer to reload like a pistol and keep the gun in my shooting hand. I use the spank-the-baby technique of slapping the ejector rod to assure all the empties clear.

If you are not married to the LaserGrips check out a set of Craig Spegel Centennial Boot Grips. They allow a higher grip on the gun (cuz they extend to the top of the frame) and spread out recoil across a wider section of the web of your hand. http://novaksights.com/products/grips/spegelgrips/spegelswJ.html I actually shoot faster and more accurtately with my snub below than with my Moms LaserGrip equiped 642.

Strongly recommend The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette. Great source of info on HOW to run a snubby. It is a lost art. Michael J. de Bethencourt of http://snubtraining.com/ has good info on his website too.

As for the trigger 1st try dry firing the ever living shit out of it. It will smooth the inner working a bit and strengthen your trigger fingers.

Ammo my choice has been Federal 38 Special +P 158gr LSWCHP, part # 38G.

Holsters are Renegade 500 ankle holster, Uncle Mikes cheapo pocket (best I've tried) and Bell Charter Oak "chicago rocker-crossdraw" in the appendix position.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Guns%204%20Sale/DSCN1324.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Guns%204%20Sale/DSCN1329.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Guns%204%20Sale/RSCN1340.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Guns%204%20Sale/RSCN1344.jpg

Best of luck.

David Thomas
12-15-11, 14:17
Strongly recommend The Snubby Revolver by Ed Lovette.

A sceond that. Good book, even if you dont own a snubby.