PDA

View Full Version : How important is cleaning under the handguards?

Interrupt
11-07-11, 12:45
Forgive me if this has been covered before, but after several searches I've still been unable to come up with anything. I'm wondering how important it is to be able to remove the handguards for cleaning beneath them? I ask because I'm contemplating picking up a Larue 7.0". I'm not sure if I should consider a two-piece, perhaps from DD, instead. Thanks.

nimdabew
11-07-11, 12:53
People clean under the hand guards? I don't think I have taken my hand guards off in years.

markm
11-07-11, 13:04
It depends. If you get mud or dirt in there, it's good to remove it.

Spengo
11-07-11, 13:35
I never bother removing my RIS for cleaning. If it's muddy in there I'll remove the rail covers and spray it with water until clean.

Belmont31R
11-07-11, 13:47
It depends on where you live because rust can form without any protection in humid or salty climates. If you live in the desert then its not really a concern. I live in central TX and have had a SS barrel get light rust spots.

Eric D.
11-07-11, 13:49
Its definitely a benefit to be able to remove the handguards for cleaning if your weapon is exposed to water/humidity/dirt/etc. I have a LaRue 9.0 on my carbine and I always squirted clp under it after each range trip.

Now, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic when it comes to rust. Any time I see a strange spot I think, "WTF, RUST?!?!" I recently stripped my barrel down and painted the area under the handguard with DuraHeat (DuraCoat High Temp) for peace of mind. I know for certain I will not have to worry about that area rusting.

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but after several searches I've still been unable to come up with anything. I'm wondering how important it is to be able to remove the handguards for cleaning beneath them? I ask because I'm contemplating picking up a Larue 7.0". I'm not sure if I should consider a two-piece, perhaps from DD, instead. Thanks.

Failure2Stop
11-07-11, 14:44
I try to get some rust preventative on the barrel every now and then. I have used all kinds of methods to do it, from simply squirting it through the holes to even application with a q-tip.
Rusty barrel: no bueno.

900ss
11-13-11, 02:28
Cleaning and a light lube won't hurt anything. Expect some burnoff (smoke) during extended shooting sessions. I clean and lube mine every time I feel up for a fight with the handguards.

duece71
11-13-11, 06:14
Is there any chance of ever seeing any black (soot) when cleaning the barrel? I am not talking about copious amounts, just a little here and there, around the FSB and maybe up toward the barrel/reciever joint.

900ss
11-13-11, 13:04
Yes, there will be some in both places. I have found in my rifles it is more prevalent by the delta ring. A simple wipe with a rag or Q-tip gets rid of it.

ST911
11-13-11, 21:43
It depends on where you live because rust can form without any protection in humid or salty climates. If you live in the desert then its not really a concern. I live in central TX and have had a SS barrel get light rust spots.

This. If the gun is subjected to changes in temperature producing condensation, rust is also a factor. Think of guns stored or carried in trunks in winter, then brought inside.

4thPointOfContact
11-14-11, 13:38
Is it a one-piece free floating handguard? If so, then ... yeah, cotton swab if it gets too nasty.
I have a Troy handguard on my AR; essentially the bottom Picatinny rail is removable and you can 'shoe shine' a cleaning cloth around the barrel if required. For smoke reduction, I try not to leave an excess of oil on the barrel.

wahoo95
11-14-11, 14:01
I've always found a few blast of NC Brake Cleaner to flush things out followed with a few sprays of RemOil to work just fine.

Eurodriver
11-14-11, 14:05
I am being very serious:

When my rifle gets so dirty that I need to clean under my rail system, I am usually filthy as well. I shower with my rifle, and it works great.

Generalpie
11-14-11, 15:41
That might take giving the rifle a girls name just a bit to far. :D

Brake clean if needed and what ever spray oil is handy. Usually CLP or remoil from the work gun cleaning kit.

I am being very serious:

When my rifle gets so dirty that I need to clean under my rail system, I am usually filthy as well. I shower with my rifle, and it works great.

Eurodriver
11-14-11, 21:44
Brake clean if needed and what ever spray oil is handy. Usually CLP or remoil from the work gun cleaning kit.

Have you ever tried to clean a rifle caked in mud with brake cleaner??? :confused:

Mikey
11-14-11, 22:34
The garden hose works well to clear mud away.

Generalpie
11-15-11, 21:26
I need to confess a few assumptions.

First is that if the OP is asking the question he is unlikely to be in many scenarios involving cleaning a large amount of mud from the inside of a free float rail. Second is that everyone would understand if you have a half pound of red clay inside the handguard you "need" to clean it out. Therefore, the original question is more for regular cleaning after normal to hard use.

For normal regular cleaning a spray solvent and re-oil works great. After rinsing out a half pound of mud, spray solvent and re-oil works great.

Have you ever tried to clean a rifle caked in mud with brake cleaner??? :confused:

Herknav90
11-19-11, 20:00
I am being very serious:

Yep, this is the ONLY way to clean a black powder rifle - Pop the barrel and go shower with it. I learned this from some Old Timers back in SC. It works extremely well!

Unless the AR rifle gets wet, muddy or super dusty (desert), I normally do not clean the thing other than the normal barrel swab and CLP wipedown. I guess I risk of starting a fire with the dust bunnies in a rapid fire mode, but that would be about it.

Heavy Metal
11-19-11, 20:13
I generously Norrel's Moly Coat any barrel and steel hardware going under a permanent handguard like a rail.

This will take the whole rust issue off the table completely.