PDA

View Full Version : Releasing spring tension on a 10/22?

Univibe
11-07-11, 12:46
After shooting the 10/22, what do y'all do? The gun is still cocked and the spring is under tension. You could dry-fire it, but that's not recommended on a rimfire. What to do--keep a snap cap in there at all times?

glockeyed
11-07-11, 12:50
its ok to dry fire the 10/22, and MK2-3 series pistols. its in the manual.

honestly for mine, i don't really have a "process". since spring tension isn't going to hurt it.

Anchor Zero Six
11-07-11, 13:48
Just because its in Rugers manual dosnt mean its the right thing to do also its IMO dependant on how your rifle is set up so to an extent I can partialy agree with the above reply.

If you have a bone stock 10/22 who cares dry fire it but if you just dropped 2-300 bucks on a match barrel it would be foolish to raise a burr on the breech face.

Snap caps are dirt cheap but I suggest plastic ones to aluminum as the plastic ones seem to deform less. Another option and the one I use is to simply retract the bolt back and then ease it forward while depressing the trigger. The sear will break with the bolt slightly out of battery but enough to not have the firing pin hit the breech face.

DemonRat
11-08-11, 01:22
Another option and the one I use is to simply retract the bolt back and then ease it forward while depressing the trigger. The sear will break with the bolt slightly out of battery but enough to not have the firing pin hit the breech face.

This is just what I do on mine. Seemed the right thing to do anyways instead of spending the money on snap caps that might over time break inside the chamber. My buddy had one do that. It was one hell of a time to get it out.

Toonces
11-08-11, 21:40
If you have a bone stock 10/22 who cares dry fire it but if you just dropped 2-300 bucks on a match barrel it would be foolish to raise a burr on the breech face.

Do you have a picture of how that is possible with a "match" barrel? Short of improper assembly or out of spec parts, I doubt it.

10/22 bolts are flat on the front, with the headspace controlled by the depth of the recess for the head of the cartridge. A properly (factory normal) fit firing pin will not reach the face of the bolt. 10/22 barrels are flat on the back. The flat face of the bolt sits against the flat face of the barrel. The firing pin isn't able to reach the face of the barrel to leave a mark. Of course none of the normal rules apply if a part is out of spec, the same as any other machine.

When it comes to rimfire questions, there is a lot of info here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

DoubleJ
04-24-12, 23:05
I use an empty brass, rotate it so the pin strikes a new spot, and drop the hammer there.

nabO
04-25-12, 01:35
You don't need to release the tension on the spring.

It's the actual use (firing and dry firing) of the spring that wears it out.

Hmac
04-25-12, 02:30
I've never worried about dry firing a Ruger 10-22...but if you are, get some #4-6 drywall anchors to use as snap caps (the yellow ones). They'll even cycle in your magazines.

Iraqgunz
04-25-12, 03:13
I'm sorry, but this is downright silly.