PDA

View Full Version : .38 vs .380 Update

Ga Shooter
11-07-11, 13:26
DocGKR,

I was reading your sticky on the .38 spl vs .380 and noticed it was written several years ago and updated over a 3 years ago. I am really on the fence between the 2 for a BUG. Are there any new developments or do your comments remain the same?

Thanks for your help.

KhanRad
11-07-11, 13:45
DocGKR,

I was reading your sticky on the .38 spl vs .380 and noticed it was written several years ago and updated over a 3 years ago. I am really on the fence between the 2 for a BUG. Are there any new developments or do your comments remain the same?

Thanks for your help.

Have you considered a small 9mm like the Walther PPS?

iGun
11-07-11, 14:05
Doc, I would be interested in what you think of some of the new .380 loads, like the Buffalo Bore +p 100 gr lead hard cast flat point.

DocGKR
11-07-11, 14:47
I'd be interested in how the Buffalo Bore load feeds and functions in a wide variety .380 pistols over say 2000 rds each. From a terminal ballistic perspective, it punches a deep, narrow hole, a lot like a ball round.

.380 kills a lot of folks, but is not an ideal cartridge in any flavor for immediately incapacitating an opponent...

Ga Shooter
11-07-11, 15:23
I'd be interested in how the Buffalo Bore load feeds and functions in a wide variety .380 pistols over say 2000 rds each. From a terminal ballistic perspective, it punches a deep, narrow hole, a lot like a ball round.

.380 kills a lot of folks, but is not an ideal cartridge in any flavor for immediately incapacitating an opponent...

Thank you.

Ga Shooter
11-07-11, 15:24

Yes and am looking for something different.

iGun
11-07-11, 15:36
Doc, thanks for the quick response. I've fired maybe 50 BB 100gr LHCFN +P from my Sig p238. No failures. Chrono was around 1050fps, and the recoil was significantly greater than anything else I've shot in that gun.

I have ~1200 rounds through that gun, and it's quite reliable with most ammo. But at over a buck a round I don't shoot the BB that much.

I like my p238 for its balance of accuracy, speed, and small size. I've clocked a 3.03s 6-shot 7 yd A-zone Bill Drill from concealment with it.

Eliakim
11-07-11, 17:08

If you choose a little 9mm remember shoot it with a sufficient quantity of hollow points to make sure that yours is reliable. Use the same type of hollow points that you intend to carry.

It would be bad form to be clearing a feed jam at the worst possible moment :bad: