PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 7.62 not firing after 30 rounds?

blackbox
11-07-11, 16:44
Hows is everybody doing tonight? I have a Saiga 7.62 that I converted to a pistol grip. I went to the range today to put some rounds on paper but after 30 rounds, it would not fire consistently. The first round would fire and eject but when I went for another trigger pull, it would just click. I ejected the round and saw a dimple on the rear of the cartridge. I went for another try after that and the same thing happened. It would fire and eject the round but the second round would get a "click" again and have another dimple in it. It is definitely not the magazine, all the internals look good to go. Has anybody ever experienced this problem and a solution?

CumbiaDude
11-07-11, 18:47
What FCG do you have in it?

Peshawar
11-07-11, 19:42
When you say "a dimple on the rear of the cartridge", do you mean that a light primer strike? In other words, a small dimple on the primer? Or, a mark elsewhere on the rear of the cartridge?

blackbox
11-07-11, 21:33
What FCG do you have in it?

~~ I didn't change out the FCG, I have the FCG that it came with.

When you say "a dimple on the rear of the cartridge", do you mean that a light primer strike? In other words, a small dimple on the primer? Or, a mark elsewhere on the rear of the cartridge?

~~ yes, i had a very long day and was trying to remember the word.

96 SS
11-07-11, 21:44
Field strip that bad boy and see if you can drop a cartridge into the chamber fully.

If yes, take the opportunity and lube that bad boy real good.

If no - buy a broken case extractor ;)

CumbiaDude
11-07-11, 21:46
~~ I didn't change out the FCG, I have the FCG that it came with.Are you saying you took this:
http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/images/RAAIZ133.jpg

and turned it into this:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDfQMWjPQ5ZV9bwnDJSkap_BKeID6KUmELTbhiL-XrNtnxEeNxV39qWey6vA

...without getting a new trigger, at the very least? You could reuse the hammer and maybe the disconnector, but the trigger on the standard Saiga is a two-piece affair that won't work with a pistol grip (the hole for the Saiga trigger is where the pistol grip goes).

:confused:

GTifosi
11-07-11, 21:51
Did a bullet guide find its way into the receiver during all this swapping bits tinker party?

W/O guide the Saigas fire just fine with thier factory 10-20rd mags, but if'n you want to use actual AK mags to bump up to 30rd'rs, the guide is a must or it'll cause some pretty goofy stuff to occur.

Peshawar
11-07-11, 22:05
Yeah, if you kept the original fcg it sounds wonky as the other gents have pointed out.

Pics would help a lot. :)

kartoffel
11-07-11, 23:55
I'm thinking that since OP claims to have both the original FCG and a pistol grip, it must be one of those Tapco deals that has a pistol grip danging off the buttstock behind the original monkey-motion trigger.

While the goofy stock triggers don't feel very good, theryre not known for being unreliable. It still might be assembled wrong, though, which coul have caused the light strikes.

MegademiC
11-09-11, 11:38
my guess is a bad trigger spring or fracked up trigger assembly.

its its that abortion of a "conversion" job, where the PG hangs off the ass end, get a dremel and do it correctly. This would have nothing to do with the malfunctions, but it does make baby Jesus cry.;)

ryr8828
11-09-11, 13:20
I've got one of those junk pistol grip stocks that I used on my saiga before I converted it. What a waste of money. I don't see any way that the pistolgrip stock would affect function. I'd open a different box of ammo or try a different brand.

Then spend $160 and convert the thing to it's intended configuration, and put the pos stock in your parts box. Don't try to sell it, I haven't got around to selling mine yet and their can't be too many people out there as dumb as me and you.

blackbox
11-10-11, 03:32
can't be too many people out there as dumb as me and you.

lets hope so bro!
:sad:

blackbox
11-10-11, 14:42
heres the pics, sorry that it took so long to post. does anybody see anything wrong?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0387.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0386.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0385.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0384.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0383.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0382.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0376.jpg

Peshawar
11-10-11, 15:08
Nothing jumps out at me. But here's an idea.... strip your bolt. IIRC the 7.62 Saigas have a spring loaded bolt. In one of your pics, the firing pin appears all the way forward. Which means it could have an obstruction in the firing pin channel, and could potentially be the cause of your light primer strikes. There could be a tiny chunk of steel that fell in there during your conversion, or even from the factory.

Strip that bolt down to it's smallest parts. Remove the extractor and spring, and clean that bad boy. Make sure to really clean out the firing pin channel with a long q-tip, or even a coat hanger bent straight. Whatever will help remove any potential obstruction (it may even be stray factory paint). That's what I would do first.

If for some reason the FP in this Saiga is not spring loaded, my advice would remain the same. At least as this first step.

CumbiaDude
11-10-11, 15:11
Hmm, nothing jumping out at me (great pictures, btw).

I see you have a plate in to hold the FCG pins. How is that hammer pin? Looks like it's sticking out a tad. Is it able to be pushed in more?

Kind of puzzling :confused:

edit: PESHAWAR! You stole my "jumping out" phrase before I could use it! :D

Oh, and double edit: the firing pin is NOT spring-loaded.

blackbox
11-10-11, 15:28
I ordered a JTE Performance Power Hammer Spring /Main Spring just for a little peace of mind. I'll be stripping the bolt sometime this weekend and give everything a very thorough cleaning. All the pins including the FCG pin look good and there are no signs of obstruction anywhere but who knows. The hammer pin can be pushed in/out and has very little play with the weapon unloaded. I'm hoping that it was only the reloaded cartridges that I purchased at the gunshop and not the AK. Thanks for the insight peoples, wish me luck! :D

Peshawar
11-10-11, 15:29
CumbiaDude, heh heh. Sorry bro. Hope you're doing well, btw. :)

Also, good call on the hammer pin, although it does at first glance look like it's properly retained by the plate. Having the hammer pin come out a bit would possibly cause the OP's problem, as you have noted, but my guess is it wouldn't have been an issue until its 5mm end came all the way out and really deadlined the gun. The OP's observation that the problem is inconsistent leads me to suspect a firing pin channel obstruction, but hard to know for sure from this vantage point.

ryr8828
11-10-11, 15:31
You have actually converted and you don't have the junk pistol grip stock we were talking about.

So that leaves me as the only proven dumbass in this thread.

Peshawar
11-10-11, 15:35
I'm hoping that it was only the reloaded cartridges that I purchased at the gunshop and not the AK.

Ha ha.... this probably was worth a mention earlier. ;) Before all else, go shoot the gun with some good commercial or surplus ammo.

GTifosi
11-10-11, 15:37
So it is a move-the-grip conversion and not just a Tapco-esque stock kit.

Something about the firing pin does seem a bit off AFA when the bolt and pin are forward.
Almost like its too flush with the tail of the bolt, although it could just be due to there being no cartridge in the chamber to stop it moving so far into ther bolt bore.
I don't have mine handy right now to measure unfortunately.

Any crud on the carrier, rails, bolt lock-back plate, bolt face, or bullet guide if present that could be preventing things going full forward by virtue of a chunk or mechanical drag?

Look at the the lock plate hard for wear on the topmost edge of the spur as with the trigger group moved forward the button that activates it ends up inside the trigger guard and its entirely plausible for your trigger finger to press against it and push it up enough to slow the momentum enough to prevent full forward lock. Particularly if you use gloves.

warpigM-4
11-10-11, 20:23
spray some lube in there :D

blackbox
11-11-11, 03:24
sorry guys, i should've mentioned that i picked up some reloaded ammo right off the bat. i'm gonna go shoot with some good commercial/surplus ammo and lube up the parts. i'm thinking now that i shouldn't have used the reloads to save money for zeroing. i'm gonna lube first then shoot with the reloads, if that fails i will use the commercial/surplus ammo to see what happens next. hopefully some nice oils will soothe this savage beast :) thanks for your replies people! be safe out there and happy hunting!