PDA

View Full Version : Marks on my casings

ridgerunner70
11-07-11, 17:29
I have marks in the mid- section of my casing's that look's like some one has taking a knife and giving a little tap on the casing's. Is this normal?

Jaysop
11-07-11, 17:48
I think you may get some better luck with this if you post up some pics and give some more info about your configuration.

skyugo
11-07-11, 19:07
not unheard of... if it's not too deep they should still be reloadable.

Tweak
11-07-11, 19:10
does it do it on feeding or are the marks present only after firing?

ridgerunner70
11-07-11, 19:29
I think you may get some better luck with this if you post up some pics and give some more info about your configuration.I will post a pic in a day or so

markm
11-07-11, 19:46
Is this normal?

Normal if from the ejection process.

munch520
11-07-11, 19:57
Main question, is it extracting reliably? That's all that matters IMO

saddlerocker
11-07-11, 22:11
Mine does this as well and everyone told me its normal/fine.

But my bolt face goes back behind the ejection port slightly, and I have also been told its due to that. The only marks on my brass deflector are at the base/back of ejection port. And it ejects at 2 O'clock with carbine or H buffer.

Pull the charging handle back and see if the bolt face retracts behind the ejection port.

I was actually going to ask here if its worth trying to fix with a notch in the receiver extension, or grind it down, so I can get another turn and the BCG wont retract as far.
Could also drop washers in the receiver extension as spacers, but id rather not do that.

polymorpheous
11-07-11, 22:30
Mine does this as well and everyone told me its normal/fine.

But my bolt face goes back behind the ejection port slightly, and I have also been told its due to that. The only marks on my brass deflector are at the base/back of ejection port. And it ejects at 2 O'clock with carbine or H buffer.

Pull the charging handle back and see if the bolt face retracts behind the ejection port.

I was actually going to ask here if its worth trying to fix with a notch in the receiver extension, or grind it down, so I can get another turn and the BCG wont retract as far.
Could also drop washers in the receiver extension as spacers, but id rather not do that.

Wow!
Please don't do anything to your rifle.
The dings in the case are from the extraction/ejection process.

saddlerocker
11-07-11, 23:27
Wow!
Please don't do anything to your rifle.
The dings in the case are from the extraction/ejection process.

I dont want to hijack so ill make my own thread, but...
I know what the marks are from, But there appears to be something out of spec thats causing it. I though maybe the OP has the same issue.
I think its common, but not many notice it

ridgerunner70
02-20-12, 09:09
I posted this thread awhile back and the brass is hitting the upper.Now it's getting where it's jamming. After firing, one is loaded and the other is stove piped above the loaded round.What should i try to fix this problem?

Iraqgunz
02-20-12, 09:13
Please give us details about your build/ carbine to include ammunition used.

I posted this thread awhile back and the brass is hitting the upper.Now it's getting where it's jamming. After firing, one is loaded and the other is stove piped above the loaded round.What should i try to fix this problem?

ridgerunner70
02-20-12, 09:33
Please give us details about your build/ carbine to include ammunition used.It's a DPMS 16" carbine and I'm shooting the XM193 ammo as of now. I have shot several different brand's and had the same indention's on the casing's.

Iraqgunz
02-20-12, 09:55
DPMS is a known over-gasser and they are known for tight chambers. I would consider getting an H buffer and a blue Springco spring.

I would suggest that you also get the chamber checked and or reamed, but the cost is almost so much that you could get a new barrel.

It's a DPMS 16" carbine and I'm shooting the XM193 ammo as of now. I have shot several different brand's and had the same indention's on the casing's.

ridgerunner70
02-20-12, 10:09
DPMS is a known over-gasser and they are known for tight chambers. I would consider getting an H buffer and a blue Springco spring.

I would suggest that you also get the chamber checked and or reamed, but the cost is almost so much that you could get a new barrel.

the barrel is a dti 1:9 5.56 and has an H buffer in it now.

Iraqgunz
02-20-12, 10:20
So is this a parts gun? DTI- is Delton as far as I remember. Delton is also a POS barrel. So you may need to try an H2 and Springco.

the barrel is a dti 1:9 5.56 and has an H buffer in it now.

ridgerunner70
02-20-12, 10:27
So is this a parts gun? DTI- is Delton as far as I remember. Delton is also a POS barrel. So you may need to try an H2 and Springco.yes, it's a build. thank you for your time and i will try the H2 and Springo spring. I don't know what kind of BCG is in it.

jmart
02-20-12, 10:29
I've seen it on several weapons. As long as the mark remains "a little tap" and feeding and extraction aren't affected, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not sure if you're reloading the cases, but that crease will fireform out the next time it's fired. What I suspect is happening is the crease is being added during the ejection cycle, probably bouncing off the shell deflector.

What you could do is fire your weapon and let the weapon cycle and chamber a round. But don't fire that round, instead, extract it using the CH and see if the creases are imparted on the case. Do this 8-10 times to see if creasing behavior is consistent. If so, it's the chambering cycle that's the culprit, probably hanging up on the feed ramp somewhere.

If the cases are dented only after ejection, well then you know at least when the creasing is cropping up, and it's up to you whether or not you want/need to address it.

If you don't reload and just let the once-fired cases lay on the ground, I wouldn't worry about it.

ridgerunner70
02-21-12, 10:28
Today I shot the XM855 through it and not one malfuntion:confused:All casings landed in the 1 O'clock position. Where do you want your casings to land at? Just wondering why the weapon wont eat the 193's but, does well so far with the 855's?

steelonsteel
02-28-12, 00:04
I wonder if using a brass catcher [so that the casings wouldn't hit the side of the receiver] would change it?

polymorpheous
02-28-12, 01:06
I wonder if using a brass catcher [so that the casings wouldn't hit the side of the receiver] would change it?

Those things just beg for a malfunction.

steelonsteel
02-28-12, 08:16
Those things just beg for a malfunction.

I absolutely agree 100%.

However, it would catch the brass before it hit the recevier, and at least let him know something about the caseings/rifle relationship by removing the element of wether or not its hitting the rifle. He'd only need to shoot 5 rounds or so and look at the cases and then he could remove it.

polymorpheous
02-28-12, 08:29
Or he could swap buffers and change the ejection pattern.

bp7178
02-28-12, 09:00
Or he could just shoot the thing because its a non issue aside from cosmetic dings on a fired case.

As others have said, it doesn't even effect reloading.

You'll also find it largely goes away as the weapon wears in. IIRC, its all related to the tension of the ejector spring. Its not worth it to start playing with the configuration of an otherwise functioning rifle to eliminate a non problem.

I've seen brand new rifles really beat up the brass, and a few hundred rounds later it was light taps and a few hundred after than no markings.

polymorpheous
02-28-12, 09:25
Given that it is a DPMS, I would still swap for a heavier buffer.
Especially if the OP is not going to swap the BCG for a full auto BCG.

globeguy
02-28-12, 09:32
Today I shot the XM855 through it and not one malfuntion:confused:All casings landed in the 1 O'clock position. Where do you want your casings to land at? Just wondering why the weapon wont eat the 193's but, does well so far with the 855's?

XM193 lands 1 o'clock, BHA 75gr lands 2 o'clock and my steel cases land 4 to 5 o'clock.