PDA

View Full Version : Best .45ACP 10RD. Mag?

Lawdog-1
11-07-11, 19:53
I am looking for 4-6 .45ACP 10rd. reliable mags to add to my 1911 mag collection. I am looking at Wilson,McCormick and not sure about Corba brand.

Amp Mangum
11-07-11, 20:57
CMC Power Mags have worked great for me.

DocHolliday01
11-07-11, 21:38
I have had good luck with the CMC powermags as well as Tripp Research Cobra mags, but at almost twice the price I stick with mostly CMC mags.

TehLlama
11-08-11, 08:08
I have a couple Wilsons, but I've also standardized on the CMC - cheaper, and I like the extra plastic on the outside.

David Thomas
11-08-11, 11:10
CMC 10 round mags have always worked well for me with a fairly long service life. I just ordered some more as a matter of fact. I am sure Wilson and Tripp are also great, but cost more. I see the 10 rounders as range mags only and do not see the need to pay the extra $10 per mag on the Wilsons or Tripps.

NCPatrolAR
11-08-11, 18:29
I've been using the CMC and Wilson mags with good results for a few years. One thing to watch with the CMC mags is the baseplate impacting your mag well and leading to issues with mags locking in place.

Nra-Life-Member
11-08-11, 20:05
Tripp Research Cobra mags!

TacMedic556
11-08-11, 21:13
On SRT I have used Wilsons, Nighthawks, and CMC(Chip).

I have not qualified or attempted to qualify with my Glock 21sf in order to use it on the team yet. Currently I run a Colt series 80 with custom work done by Ted Yost back in the 90's when the pistol was my pappy's. Tim at Black Ops Precision put all new springs in it last year and did some "tuning" on her as well.

This gun runs like a champ and eats whatever it is fed, including the notorious jam happy small primer "Win Clean".

The only magazines I have ever had magazine related malfunctions with have been Chip McCormicks that I inherit from other team members who have given them to me stating that they have stopped working in their pistol. Those pistols being one Wilson CQB and on NHC GRP. Typically these mags still run in my Colt without problem. Except for one Chip which I believe was dropped in drills while doing speed reloads, damaging the fee lips. This mag has become finicky and now causes problems. I get occasional stoppages or stovepipes, FTEs and the like.

If I had to choose and had endless funds, I would run my Wilsons only and buy dozens of them. I have run the same Wilson mags for 5 years and they continue to handle abuse and dropping half full of rounds. The follower in the Wilson is more stable I think. The Chips have more play and seem to be loose on the spring.

The problem mag I referred to doesn't appear damaged, other than some minor abrasions. I would love to know exactly what its particular problem is, because I can't see throwing it away yet. Now it sits on a shelf.

This is my 2 cents. Get Wilsons, they are bomb proof and I have never ever had an issue with them. I have put over 10,000 rounds minimum through this Colt in the last 5 years most of which through Wilsons. The only malfunctions it has ever had have been on the Chips and obviously frequently on the one inherited trouble mag.

Ned Christiansen
11-09-11, 08:32
Tripp Research for me.

Shane1
11-09-11, 09:43
I used Wilsons 10 rounders for about 6 years when I carried a 1911. I never had issues with them on the multiple times they were shot, reloaded and shot again. With that said, if I ever go back to my 1911 for work, I'll be looking hard at Tripps. I have a couple of friends that use them for IDPA/USPSA and they have never mentioned ay issues with them.

tb-av
11-09-11, 10:05
CMC for me.

eternal24k
11-09-11, 12:50
I have not tried the CMC, but my Tripps proved to be far more reliable than my Wilsons. My Wilson mags all have Tripp internals now if that says anything.

Alaskapopo
11-09-11, 13:23
I have wore out several Wilson 10 rounders. The feed lips start to spread and then they fail to drop free from the gun. I have also tried Trips and Power mags. So far Wilsons have been the best of the 10 rounders for me in a variety of different 1911's.
Pat

duece71
11-09-11, 13:30
Wilson for me. I managed to break off the little overshoot tab that keeps the mag from being overinserted during a reload. Wilson replaced the entire mag for free. I will definately buy more.

crazymoose
11-11-11, 17:47
CMC and Tripp.

fixit69
11-11-11, 22:16
Wilson and Tripp. Never had any trouble with them.

CMC runs a close third, but had various malfunctions with them.

mike boufford
11-12-11, 07:47
CMC and Tripps for me because they work right out of the box. The Wilsons I own took a lot of rounds to become reliable so I am not a fan of the product.

Singlestack Wonder
11-12-11, 08:10
Wilsons have always been a problem due to the thin metal used in the manufacturing process which allows for the feed lips to spread. CMC Power Mags use a heavier gauge material and the lips hold their shape well.

I have 8-1911's in various forms and have sent 22k of 230's downrange in the last 2.5 years. Never an issue with the CMC's.

texshooter
11-12-11, 13:16
I like CMC mags as well. After about 200 rounds the springs get just about the right amount of tension. They were a bit tough at first. The followers give some people trouble but I haven't had any problems.

I have a few Wilson 10rd mags too. A lot of people have had the stop break off on inserting it. At first it had a few issues but it's fine now. If your planning to carry them in a vest they're easier to stack side by side bc theyre flat.

theJanitor
11-12-11, 16:18
Am I the only guy who hates 10-rounders?

That being said, Wilson 10-rounders have been good to me, although my 1911's shoot any mag/ammo combo perfectly fine.

LightningFast
11-21-11, 22:32
While my 10 rounders don't get worked nearly as much as my 8 rounders do... My Wilsons and CMCs have both worked spectacularly. I started having some feeding issues with the CMCs... replaced the springs... they were good to go again.

I've never tried the Tripps, but it sounds like I should give them a try some day.

grinch
11-24-11, 13:42
Have had real good luck with CMC and adding tripp spring and followers.

d90king
11-24-11, 18:01
Tripp Research Cobra mags!

Absolutely! Highly underrated mag.

cmoore
11-24-11, 20:04
CMC Power Mags (10-round stainless) in a SA 1911 MC operator for 10 years at work. 100% reliable.

Rick1987
01-13-12, 20:05
Lots of mixed opinions.

Guess I will get one of each!

CANDERSEN
01-13-12, 20:17
I have had problems with Wilsons - feed lips spreading.

STAGMike
01-13-12, 20:31
CMC Power Mags have worked great for me.

Me too :big_boss:

BGREID
01-13-12, 22:49
I have 8 of the CMC 10 rounders some are over 13 years old. They have all ran great not one problem I could blame on the mags.