PDA

View Full Version : First Travis now Chris.....

Abraxas
11-07-11, 20:36
What will Magpul do now? http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/11/07/chris-costa-is-leaving-magpul-dynamics/

ST911
11-07-11, 21:09
Strong public personalities within a strong brand will ultimately compete and/or be mutually limiting. Haley and Costa going their own ways was inevitable. I was much more interested in this part of the article:

In a structured financial deal, shareholders of the private company sold a controlling interest in Magpul Industries to investors including Bruckmann, Rosser, Sherrill & Co. (“BRS”), a New York-based private equity firm, this summer.

I predict that Magpul will become a Cerebrus, or perhaps ATK, holding before too long.

Abraxas
11-07-11, 21:25
Strong public personalities within a strong brand will ultimately compete and/or be mutually limiting. Haley and Costa going their own ways was inevitable. I was much more interested in this part of the article:

I predict that Magpul will become a Cerebrus, or perhaps ATK, holding before too long.

Well said, it is something I have wondered about before. Both Travis and Costa will do well in their endeavors, but I wonder where it leaves the company. I fear it will get eaten up by one of those you mentioned or maybe another.

SeriousStudent
11-07-11, 21:29

Wow, I can still taste the vomit in my mouth.......Cerebrus..... sigh. :(

Best wishes for success to Mr. Costa. I appreciate his contributions and wish him well. I have no doubts that he would love to spend more time with his family, I hope this will allow that to happen.

Ak44
11-07-11, 21:31
Hopefully Chris will base his training Company on the East Coast maybe? Costa Ludus :cool:

Stickman
11-07-11, 21:56
How long do most firearm instructors stay with a company they don't own? If you look at things this way, the shock is that Chris stayed this long.

Magpul and Costa had a great relationship, and to the best of my knowledge still do. Chris had reasons he needed more control over his own schedule, and I would hope any man would put his family over his job. This seems pretty straight forward.

The Magpul Dynamics videos pulled a group of people into training that otherwise would have stayed on the sidelines. The style and content held an entertainment value instead of just a dry outline with information thrown to the viewer. The videos promoted Chris as much as they promoted the training, and I think Magpul came in last in the promo angle.

Overall, things worked well for both sides, and both benefited from the other. Not every job can say that.

austinN4
11-07-11, 21:58
http://costaludus.com/

Nothing there yet but a front page.

SW-Shooter
11-07-11, 22:27
I think he's been watching too much Spartacus, Costa's Ludus. Ha, ha LMFAO.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-07-11, 22:41
http://costaludus.com/

Nothing there yet but a front page.

"You ever been to gladiator training...?"

ST911
11-07-11, 23:17
Disregard

SWATcop556
11-07-11, 23:47
I initially thought those rumblings I felt were the earthquakes from OK making their way to TX but now I realize that it was the spontaneous combustion of one million fanboys. :jester:

Chris will do well where ever he goes just as Travis has. I was suprised it lasted as long as it did. The wave finally crested.

markm
11-08-11, 07:36
I'm going to have to file all of this in my big book of WHO GIVES A SHIT!! :rolleyes:

Abraxas
11-08-11, 07:58
I'm going to have to file all of this in my big book of WHO GIVES A SHIT!! :rolleyes: You need to learn how to get to the point and quit beating around the bush. ;)

Steve
11-08-11, 08:06
you know markm your really crying over it cause your a closet fan :D

CarlosDJackal
11-08-11, 08:36
I think that all this proves is the industry is growing. This very same thing occurred with The Surefire Institute when Ken Good broke away to form Strategos International, LLC.

IMHO, the more competent training organizations that are available to us mere mortals, the better it will be because no one person or group will have all the answers.

Good luck to Costa and Magpul and I hope both organizations grow become of this.

yellowfin
11-08-11, 09:18
Based on the article linked from the article, should I start buying up Magpul parts now before the quality degrades? Lots of companies take a dive in quality after being bought b/c the new owner wants everything made cheaper to save $$$.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-11, 09:32
Steve- aren't you in the unreleased AOT Long Range Rifle video with Chris and Travis? Is that thing like the kiss of death?

I'm just hoping that you guys set up permanant training facilities here in Colorado.

Zhurdan
11-08-11, 09:33
Best of luck to Chris. He was a very entertaining and informative trainer at Magpul, I'm sure that will carry over in his new endeavor.

jaydoc1
11-08-11, 09:44
Remember when David Lee Roth left Van Halen. It's like that. Or soon will be.

MD enjoyed such a successful run because of the videos and Chris'/Travis' unique training style and charisma. Chris and Travis built a fan base with those videos. There is a reason everyone always asked when a course was posted who the instructors were going to be.

I agree with the above. The fanboy base has to splinter now and it's not going to be MD that wins. Essentially there will now be three schools with essentially the same course structure and material. MD, Haley Strategic Partners, and the new gladiator school (coming soon). People will probably follow the personalities, not the brand. It's very similar to Apple and Steve Jobs. People question what Apple will do now that Steve is gone because for most people Steve WAS Apple. Same with Magpul Dynamics.

Hopefully all three do well although with peoples' training budgets getting more and more limited I just wonder how much room in the industry there is for three very similar schools.

polydeuces
11-08-11, 11:25
Had to sit on this way to long....;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92258

munch520
11-08-11, 11:30
I initially thought those rumblings I felt were the earthquakes from OK making their way to TX but now I realize that it was the spontaneous combustion of one million fanboys. :jester:

:haha:

RichFitz
11-08-11, 13:53

Correct, Chris has successfully built his own brand with our support since 2008 and this move was inevitable for his continued growth.

As for Magpul Industries, nothing has changed in regards to the new investors. They were brought on to provide high level support and to grow the company consistent with our values.

So no change in Magpul design, production or fundamentals.

DJK
11-08-11, 14:10
Had to sit on this way to long....;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92258

Emailed and waiting for class info this AM.:D

Reagans Rascals
11-08-11, 14:24
I would be interesting to see Mr. Costa as well as Mr. Haley begin to develop their own line of products tailored for their individual fighting styles, and those that try and emulate them... perhaps a line of holsters, or weapon accessories like forerails tailored for the supine grip, just things of that sort.... considering the following they have amassed, they could shit in a box, sell it for a premium, and still have backorders... however I really don't see either of them "selling out" so to speak and slapping their names on shitty products just for the sake of marketing... just my .02

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-11-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-KAC-p/bcm-urg-11%20bfh%20urx%2049.htm

I think there's a pretty good reason a $1200 upper is continuously sold out....

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-11, 15:01
Correct, Chris has successfully built his own brand with our support since 2008 and this move was inevitable for his continued growth.

As for Magpul Industries, nothing has changed in regards to the new investors. They were brought on to provide high level support and to grow the company consistent with our values.

So no change in Magpul design, production or fundamentals.

I'm amazed at Magpul's ability to make great gear at prices that everyone can afford. Great and cheap make a hard business model, but you guys have been doing it.

Travis and Chris were trainers before Magpul and didn't gain rockstar status till MD, so Magpul had something to do with their success. MD was a great platform for them and hopefully MD can continue to find new training talent to fill the role. Finding people as skilled as Chris and Travis in firearms, teaching and personality will be a tall task. Maybe that is why they hired Steve. ;)

Keep the classes coming, release videos that you have and don't let MD get stale.

joffe
11-08-11, 17:07
...four upcoming releases including precision shooting, automobile operation and two more undisclosed subjects.

Very interested. People were joking about 'Art of the Tactical Driveby' as soon as the Magpul truck surfaced.. It'll be fun to see what the real Magpul defensive/evasive driving DVD will be like :) Hopefully a must buy.

Iraq Ninja
11-08-11, 19:38
I think that all this proves is the industry is growing.

Maybe, but not every instructor that leaves a company leaves voluntarily.

ST911
11-08-11, 21:42
Based on the article linked from the article, should I start buying up Magpul parts now before the quality degrades? Lots of companies take a dive in quality after being bought b/c the new owner wants everything made cheaper to save $$$.

I think Magpul gear will be GTG for awhile. There are a number of cues to watch for in such acquisitions that will indicate when it's time to stock up, or shop elsewhere.

As for Magpul Industries, nothing has changed in regards to the new investors. They were brought on to provide high level support and to grow the company consistent with our values. So no change in Magpul design, production or fundamentals.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the response.

Mauser KAR98K
11-10-11, 22:20
I think I know why Chris is leaving Magpul; got called back to his old job.:haha:

http://4dwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/assassins-creed-revelations..jpg

http://www.magpuldynamics.com/assets/images/misc/mission_costa.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DMMSlDBRHVw/TdMKqd1W0oI/AAAAAAAAAso/T-yIiwM7J4w/s1600/art-assassinscreed-revelations-ezio.png

I was going through Wal-Mart when I noticed the new adds. Damn, it looks like Costa, but without any Twinkies in his dump pouch.