PDA

View Full Version : Apex kit in a J-frame 442?

ash
11-07-11, 21:30
How is it? I like the sound of it what do you guys think? feed back would be great Please

wlptpd3
11-07-11, 22:41
Been using one for about 6 months now in my j-frame, probably the best money you will spend to improve trigger pull on a j-frame. The trigger pull is lighter and smoother after the install and so far mine has been reliable with several different brands of ammunition that I have tried.

Corse
11-08-11, 08:26
Been using one for about 6 months now in my j-frame, probably the best money you will spend to improve trigger pull on a j-frame. The trigger pull is lighter and smoother after the install and so far mine has been reliable with several different brands of ammunition that I have tried.

Same for me.

LDM
11-08-11, 09:57
Just installed Apex kit in my wife's 442 a week or two ago.
Although I would not call it a night & day difference, it was a definite improvement.
If I had it to do over, I'd do it again.
Well worth the money.
Relatively easy self-install; APEX YouTube video make self-install easy enough.

Randy Lee
11-08-11, 15:01
Hi all,

We will be posting new video tips on the installation soon. Well, as soon as we can get done with our new shop relocation...
There have been some cases where contact surfaces on the rebound slide, hammer foot and cylinder stop/trigger nose cause excessive drag that can make the reset rough or sluggish. A little polishing in these areas can make a world of difference in smoothness of trigger return.

-Randy

And new kits will be available for the K,L and N frame revolvers in 2012.
Stay tuned.

Corse
11-08-11, 16:22
both my k and l frames have pretty good triggers already.

Semper Paratus
11-08-11, 20:44
I installed an Apex Tactical spring kit in my 640-1 last evening. Range time tomorrow. Now this not the first time I've been inside a J frame, but the first in a Centennial. I watched the Apex youtubes on the install and they were spot on. They warned me about my big hands and small places....the firing pin spring that would stay stuck in the channel, the method to load the new spring...
All told it took about 30 minutes from start to finish including some polishing with the Dremel and green rouge (I know no Dremel near a gun but ...)on the working surface of the rebound slide, which were chock full of machine marks. I did not polish the marks out but smoothed the surface between the marks to a near mirror shine. If I had had a bullet bob I would have polished inside the frame but alas no such thing in my kit. Even so the trigger pull improvement is remarkable. At this time the 640 is benched until I get some range timewith a variety of ammo through it.

The big lesson learned is that the Wheeler rebound slide tool available from Larry Potterfield at Midway does not work in the J frame...It is too large for the rebound slide so the small straight blade screw drivers had to suffice.

ash
11-13-11, 19:26
Thank you all..very helpfull.

Semper Paratus
11-13-11, 20:16
Range Report:
50' COM shots all 9 ring or better except for a handful of bad trigger snatches a scoring ring low. At 50' I was able to put 9/10 into the head on a blue B7 target. The 10th round was a poor trigger snatch on my part right through the center of the neck. I was shooting well with 38 Spcls. Bumped up to 357 125 Gr Rem SPs and centered 5 rounds in 2" on the scoring ring 7 at 7-8 yds. Not my normal shooting with the little bugger....much better. It still is a long pull but lighter and smoother. No issues whatsoever. Well invested $25 and 1/2 hour of my time. She is back in the carry rotation.

sacmaster
11-14-11, 19:40
I pocket carry mine (in a holster). Do the people who have done this pocket carry as well, or does it make the trigger too light for safe pocket carry? In your opinions.
Thanks.

wlptpd3
11-15-11, 07:38
You will be fine with pocket carry, I carry this way all the time. Understand the Apex kit is not creating a hair trigger at all it smooths and lightens the trigger pull out of the box. I dont have a trigger pull gauge but I would estimate the double action pull is right around 9 or 10 pounds but much smoother than factory trigger.

Solitude
11-15-11, 13:11
I have the "carry" kit in a 640 and a 642. Excellent results. I have used six different types of ammunition so far and have had 100% ignition. I was worried about that after looking at the primers when I first installed the kits, but it seems that Apex did their homework.

Everyone who has tried these revolvers at the range has been pleased at the results. I think these kits are a good value, and seem reliable. I am going to put about another 200 rounds down range just to be sure but I think they will be in use as a chl soon after!

SeriousStudent
11-15-11, 21:48
I thought the videos that scott did for the installation were fine. I was able to follow them without issue when I put the kit into my 642.

And I think the OP will be quite pleased with how the pistol functions after the kit is installed. It's an excellent bit of kit. Get this with a set of Crimson Trace laser grips, and you are in quite good shape.

5pins
11-25-11, 08:42
I just finished installing the Apex in my 16 year old 442. There is a noticeable improvement in the trigger pull. I would not say it was a dramatic difference, but better. It doesn’t stack as much right before let off and hammer has a softer hit so the sights don’t jump as much as before.

a_just_cause
11-25-11, 15:25
I've really been impressed withe Apex kit - a good upgrade IMHO.

5pins
11-25-11, 17:39
The more I dry fire it the more I like it. Maybe I can make it out to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

35percent
12-01-11, 22:02
I have a lone wolf(?) spring kit in mine but i'm interested in the apex, would there be any notable difference?

MAUSER202
12-15-11, 07:48
I bought a used 442 12 years ago, and the trigger is outstanding. I wonder if the previous owner had work done, as I cant imagine it being much better.

ColdDeadHands
12-16-11, 10:40
I just got finished with the installation of the APEX Kit in my M&P340. For me there is a noticeable difference in pull.
I used the video for instructions and it was easy. I also polished the rebound slide a bit with 1200 grit sanding paper as was suggested in the video, I didn't polish it shiny...just till the surface felt a lot smoother. I'm looking forward to the new video with further instructions on the other areas that can be polished as I feel the reset could be smoother.

How about a precision machined drop-in kit Randy? One that includes a new hammer and rebound slide.

On a side note; my wife's old Model 60 stock (i think) trigger feels about the same as my M&P340 with the APEX kit.

C4IGrant
12-16-11, 11:02
How is it? I like the sound of it what do you guys think? feed back would be great Please

Very good. Drops several pounds off the pull weight.

We offer installation of them when you purchase a revolver from us.

C4

Matt C.
12-18-11, 09:39
We offer installation of them when you purchase a revolver from us.

C4[/QUOTE]

That there is called customer service (heard about this:cool:)

fmiq
12-18-11, 23:14
:DBought some at the NRA show and installed them last May in mine and a friends' j frames. We've shot lots of varied rounds up through .357. No issues what so ever. Best money I've spent other than the CTGs.

skyugo
12-19-11, 01:13
I bought a used 442 12 years ago, and the trigger is outstanding. I wonder if the previous owner had work done, as I cant imagine it being much better.

must have had work done.. i don't think anyone has ever called a j-frame trigger outstanding otherwise.

ColdDeadHands
12-20-11, 23:20
Got the "plug" in the other day so I figured while I have my MP340 apart again for the install I do a little polishing on the mainspring stirrup. The results are an even smoother pull and reset...at least that's the impression I have.

chaotik
12-24-11, 08:01
I installed the apex kit in my 642 with no problems after watching the video a couple of times.

After installation, the trigger was smoother, and the trigger pull went from 13 pounds to 9 pounds.

Completely reliable for me.

SteveS
08-23-12, 15:21
I own 3 442s and The stock trigger is perfect .

Corse
08-23-12, 16:22
Afte the Apex kit the trigger is more perfect.

denn1911
09-20-12, 13:30
I have about 1k rounds through my 340PD, and I've been trying to get an Apex Kit installed. I haven't made it a priority to pick one up, but I do look forward to it in the near future.

one
09-21-12, 00:51
A friend of mine just got a 642 and we were considering installing one in his revolver.

I have an older Model 49 bodyguard. Will this kit work in an older J frame across the board?

brushy bill
09-25-12, 21:14
Do these come with the longer length firing pin for improved reliability?

Big A
10-19-12, 07:10
Thanks guys...Now I have to buy two of these. My 340 needs it the most but I might as well get one for my 438 while I'm at it.

I honestly didn't know stuff like this was available for J-frames, I always thought you just got what you got with them.

AirRaceFan
12-26-12, 18:43
The APEX kit made a noticeable improvement in the trigger of my 442. I don't have a gauge, but it lessened the trigger pull weight quite a bit. I have over 200 rounds of my reloads thru it since with no issues.

markdh720
12-26-12, 22:07
I bought the Apex kit last week. Like others have said, it's not a mind-blowing difference. It lightened and smoothed out the pull nicely, though. I only put a couple dozen rounds through the gun, but it's more enjoyable now. This is an easy recommendation for $20 or so bucks.

red headed stranger
12-31-12, 06:24
It is a noticeable improvement. It is a quick, inexpensive, DIY solution that I am happy to use until my 642 makes it to the top of Grant Cunningham's queue.

jp0319
01-04-13, 11:38
Very good investment for the J Frame. It is a must have IMO.