PDA

View Full Version : All quiet on Sparc...

m4brian
11-08-11, 12:35
Tried the search. Couldn't find anything lately. Any updates on them after a bunch of use?

Breadstick
11-08-11, 14:24
I have one, it's held up to abuse of me trodden the land and getting rattled around on a ATV.

Took it off my old AR which has been parted and sold off, and mounted it on my PSA/Noveske "dissy" that has now passed my GTG test.

Has held zero for a while now. I'm still slowly saving for a Aimpoint H1.

But this SPARC has held it's own. Got rained on recently no issue. Since it's starting to get cool we'll see how it holds over winter.

Mount has been solid, and have the same battery it came with and I've had it months. I only use low setting, cause I'm able to see it with ease, and I absolute it with iron sights so even if becomes hard to see (which it hasn't) if the sun is behind me I can still use me irons regardless. Love the 2MOA small dot. Have proven well out to 150-200yards....I'm zeroed at 100yrds.

It's just an ehancement tool to help get on target better.

I do not rely on it solely to aim...... main is me irons. The dot sits right where I zeored the irons. If the dot fails I can still use the irons through the optic.

I've left it off before (still mounted) and shot just as good with it on or off.

If it doesn't give me any issue in the next year or so, I just might keep it as permanent and buy more with the money I'd pay for with the Aimpoint or hell just get me a new GLOCK.

If it does fail in any fashion it will be replaced by Vortex via lifetime warranty. (bonus!)

antlad
11-08-11, 15:03
Tried the search. Couldn't find anything lately. Any updates on them after a bunch of use?

I've had my unit for a little over a year. For the money I think it is a great sight. It seems that when the battery is starting to die the dot will flicker. At first I thought the optic was defective but quickly realized it was just the battery. That seems to be it's biggest downfall.

Vortex claims the Sparc is recoil tested on a 375 H&H but I would not venture out in Bear country relying on this optic alone Nor would I depend on it if knowingly going to a gun fight.

That said it is a great "budget" optic and I would but it on the top end of optics in it's class. I would recommend it for a range gun and think it would be great on a 10/22 type rifle used for rabbits and grouse. If you want a red dot to depend on with your life I would stick with the known quantities.

BTW, I just bought a TA33G-H and and now selling the sparc if you are interested.

m4brian
11-08-11, 19:57
...Nor would I depend on it if knowingly going to a gun fight...

I know this is a semi-obligatory statement on "budget" optics on M4Carbine, but is it still applicable to the Sparc - where are the failures?

Breadstick
11-08-11, 20:16
none..that I've looked for....only ones that have made it fail via turture testing it....manly drowning it, and sticking it in the deep freeze, then thawing it then buring it in the snow for hours...then throwing it on the roof having it roll off of it and letting it hit the ground.....mostly it still worked with a battery replacemnt for being frozen... sticking it on a fullauto AK doing mag dumps till it was too hot to touch with gloves it still worked......other than that haven't heard to much of actual failures.

But since it doesn't cost over $400 it must not be good enough:sarcastic:

I searched here over a year ago when it was coming out....at that point there was chatter but more noise than signal.

a0cake
11-09-11, 00:01
I'll tell you this. I trust Sparcs and Strikefires infinitely more than I trust EOTECHs. The Vortex red dots are not Aimpoints, not by a long shot, but they still have EOTECH beat reliability wise in my experience. I only use Aimpoints, but do know people who have chosen Vortex because of financial issues. They've all performed.

13MPG
11-09-11, 03:14
I know this is a semi-obligatory statement on "budget" optics on M4Carbine, but is it still applicable to the Sparc - where are the failures?

You might not be finding reports on issues because not a lot of people on here are using them. I can’t think of any reason to go with one of them over the KNOWN/PROVEN quality and durability of an Aimpoint.

In the end it’s your money so buy what you want but I think if you shop around and watch the EE here and on some other sites you can get yourself a good deal on an Aimpoint.

But since it doesn't cost over $400 it must not be good enough:sarcastic:

That must be it:rolleyes:

m4brian
11-09-11, 03:56
I own a T1.

I am thinking about future use for AK/VZ, others...

I am just looking for the failures, and not finding them.

13MPG
11-09-11, 16:01
The little searching I did last night revealed little for or against them. And as far as the few positive reviews go, it would be hard for them to measure up to what is out there for the Aimpoints. For $280 I would rather not take the chance.

Maybe a used R1 and a paintjob is in order?

Breadstick
11-09-11, 16:53
$280? wow, mine was 174.xx. Noway I'd pay $280 for one.

Like I said I'm still saving for an H1, maybe tax return will boost me enough for a grab at 1.

Freelance
11-09-11, 17:08
Well I have had my SPARC for over a year now and I am exceptionally pleased with the unit. I purchased the SPARC when it was relatively new to the market and unknown in terms of reliability, I was not shooting enough to justify a Eotech or Aimpoint to myself ( both of which I also own now.)
The unit has been 100% reliable for me personally. It is very durable and weather resistant ( have shot it in the pouring rain without issue.)
There are a few downsides compared to the T1, such as battery life (about 1300 hours) While I have not experienced it myself, I have heard reports of the unit auto shutting off after an hour to preserve battery life , but I do not recall having this problem.
All in all, I have found this to be an exceptional optic, it has held zero, performed well for over 5000 rounds on various different rifles, and has been a great back-up sight for me.
It is small enough to keep in my gear bag as a spare. Has a 2 MOA dot vs the 4 MOA of T1. Comes with a lifetime warranty that is actually followed through on by the company ( my experience with Vortex customer service was top notch, although not for this unit as I have had no problems with it.) It includes a 2 X magnifier and bikini covers for the lenses. Lastly it comes with a decent solid mount included that will ACW or lower 1/3 CW on your flat top AR out of the box. Heck of a deal compared to the price I paid for my others + mounts.

13MPG
11-09-11, 18:40
$280? wow, mine was 174.xx. Noway I'd pay $280 for one.

Like I said I'm still saving for an H1, maybe tax return will boost me enough for a grab at 1.

Just what I saw it for on one site.

Eurodriver
11-09-11, 19:39
I am finding <$200 on the Sparcs.

I like that it is NV capable and has a 2 MOA dot size. I think I just found the perfect sight for my suppressed 10/22. I wouldn't run one on an M4, but it appears to be a pretty decent red dot for fun use.

Shiz
11-09-11, 22:21
I have one. It kept turning off at first. blinking etc. I wrote to the company, and they told me to tighten the battery cap. (it needs to be tighter than hand tight) Since then it has worked flawlessly. No blinks, no burps, no malfs.

I got it while i was saving for my aimpoints. still like it.

VIP3R 237
11-09-11, 22:38
Another happy sparc owner here. I honestly dont think you can beat it for the price and no one beats vortex's customer service. My sparc was flickering even after tightening so I called vortex and I shipped it back and 5 days later a new sparc showed up on my doorstep. Since then I've bought 2 more. Its been through a couple courses and has been dropped and still running strong.

polydeuces
11-12-11, 01:12
Friend of mine is a FFL dealer and sells them like hotcakes; what seems to be the trend is if they don't fail right at the beginning, they're like the energizer bunny. Great deal and good CS too.

Quick Stick
11-13-11, 23:26
I've had one a little over a year on a .22 trainer. It's worked great since day one, no problems.

Ghost__1
11-14-11, 00:28
So far I haven't seen anything for the negative column besides its not aimpoint. It was the same when dd noveske and bcm came out. They weren't volts. Guess they are doing fine. I say rock on if you want to buy one and it seems that they are solid. If I'm wrong post a negative review.