PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint C3 The Best Value??

C4IGrant
08-18-06, 17:52
I was looking at my Aimpoint dealer sheet the other day and noticed that the C3 was $73 dollars cheaper than the ML3! The other interesting fact is that the C3 come with protective covers and a mount!

What it doesn't come with is a tethered battery cover or flip up covers. Since the battery life on this Aimpoint is 50,000hrs, I don't think a tethered battery cap is all that important (as your most likely never going to unscrew it)!

Flip up covers will run you $28.00 so your still doing better than buying the ML3. The other advantage to getting the C3 with without covers is that you can choose the see through models which I like much better. Even if the covers are down, you can still see the dot and make a shot.

So is the C3 and ML3 the same animal? That isn't for me to say. I have asked the question and gotten nothing more than a sheepish grin.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20in%20box.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20components.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20with%20covers%20on.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20logo.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount1.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount2.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount3.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount4.JPG

JLM
08-19-06, 02:06
I reckon you should shoot me out a price then :)

C4IGrant
08-19-06, 08:08

PM sent!

C4

rob_s
08-19-06, 09:57
Interesting. I didn't realize that there were covers available that were clear. Where does one get these?

If I was in the market for a new Aimpoint I'd probably get this C3. My Aimpoint is a 4 MOA but it's going on an SBR so I don't think that will be an issue for me. I'd still like to have those clear covers though.

C4IGrant
08-19-06, 10:33
Interesting. I didn't realize that there were covers available that were clear. Where does one get these?

If I was in the market for a new Aimpoint I'd probably get this C3. My Aimpoint is a 4 MOA but it's going on an SBR so I don't think that will be an issue for me. I'd still like to have those clear covers though.

I have them in stock!

C4

Neeglik
08-19-06, 12:15
Good info. I've started to spread the word to co-workers in the market for optics.

sdcromer
08-21-06, 18:28
Please send me the price on a C3!!

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 15:34
Has anybody ever figured out what the difference is between a C3 & ML3?

mtdawg169
09-06-06, 15:52

Ditto! :D

C4IGrant
09-06-06, 16:59
Has anybody ever figured out what the difference is between a C3 & ML3?

Yes, the only difference is submergence level. They are both waterproof, but you can punch out of a Sub with the ML3/M3 and can only snorkel with the C3. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
09-06-06, 17:01
Ditto! :D

PM Sent.

C4

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 20:24
Yes, the only difference is submergence level. They are both waterproof, but you can punch out of a Sub with the ML3/M3 and can only snorkel with the C3. ;)

C4

I think thats more than good enough for me.

I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for months. :D

C4IGrant
09-07-06, 08:01
That is enough for 90% of us Paul!

C4

Wayne Dobbs
09-08-06, 01:13
OK Grant,

Dude, you're wearing me down (but, I was always known to be "easy"). Please PM me a quote for a C3 (4 MOA dot) with the see through flip up lens covers and the standard LaRue mount. If you have FDE body covers for this unit, quote that too.

More money flowing to G&R.....

Submariner
09-08-06, 04:43
Will the battery cap from an M2 fit in place of the installed cap? If so, will the plastic harness reach the windage/elevation caps? I am nervous about the untethered battery cap shooting loose and being lost. Or do you loctite it?

C4IGrant
09-08-06, 08:12
OK Grant,

Dude, you're wearing me down (but, I was always known to be "easy"). Please PM me a quote for a C3 (4 MOA dot) with the see through flip up lens covers and the standard LaRue mount. If you have FDE body covers for this unit, quote that too.

More money flowing to G&R.....

Wearin ya down is my agenda! :D

Price the package you describe is $485.

C4

C4IGrant
09-08-06, 08:22
Will the battery cap from an M2 fit in place of the installed cap? If so, will the plastic harness reach the windage/elevation caps? I am nervous about the untethered battery cap shooting loose and being lost. Or do you loctite it?

The battery caps for the M2 or M3 are the same and WILL work with the C3. So if your worried about your battery cap coming loose (which I wouldn't) then you can get a 10634 (battery cap) and a 10379 (rubber strap) for like $11 dollars.

Another thing you can do is simply paint a witness mark on it and then that way you can just glance at it and see if it moved. Just a thought.

C4

TWR
09-08-06, 17:12
Wearin ya down is my agenda! :D

Price the package you describe is $591.

C4

Are you sure on this price?

C4IGrant
09-08-06, 17:39
Are you sure on this price?

Oops, was looking at the C3 2X when I did the quote. I have adjusted the price above.

C4

TWR
09-08-06, 18:03
Just keeping you honest.

Actualy, I am thinking of another setup like I got from you last week and thought I got one heck of a deal!

C4IGrant
09-08-06, 18:14
Just keeping you honest.

Actualy, I am thinking of another setup like I got from you last week and thought I got one heck of a deal!

The C3 is a really good deal because you build it the way you want it (like with the tan cover and clear covers) and still save money. On top of that, you get a mount with it that you can either keep or sell for $20-$30.

C4

VA_Dinger
09-09-06, 18:05
Grant, please send me a quote for a C3.

Thanks

Submariner
09-09-06, 19:22
The battery caps for the M2 or M3 are the same and WILL work with the C3. So if your worried about your battery cap coming loose (which I wouldn't) then you can get a 10634 (battery cap) and a 10379 (rubber strap) for like $11 dollars.

Another thing you can do is simply paint a witness mark on it and then that way you can just glance at it and see if it moved. Just a thought.

Thanks, Grant. I have caps from before installing dual battery caps but no rubber straps (sold to move my CompM XD's).

I do worry about such things. I had a witness mark on my Scout light. Only Pat noticed it was about to fall off. I was busy shooting. :rolleyes: Guess I need a LaRue for it, too.

mike240
09-10-06, 00:35
price check for me too please...

C4IGrant
09-11-06, 09:08
price check for me too please...

PM sent.

C4

M4arc
10-16-06, 21:13
Grant,

Please PM me a price for a C3 and a LaRue mount.

molsen
10-16-06, 22:40
I'd like a price quote for the C3 too.

ballistic
03-04-09, 08:47
The C3 is IMHO the Aimpoint that 90% of users should be buying based on actual needs, operating environment and usage. One will soon be residing in an ADM high mount (lower 1/3 cowitness) on my almost complete build, complete with see through flip covers. I opted for the 2MOA dot.

PushPull
03-05-09, 16:42

C4

The Comp C3 has a little bit "richer" black to its finish also. Deal breaker huh?

ROADKING
03-05-09, 20:08
I bought the c3 from Grant and put the clear covers on with a ADM mount and a 1/3 co-witness and is a perfect set up for me. PS Grant i didnt get a mount with mine so do i get a $20.00 in store credit.????????

mprasek
03-05-09, 20:39

Hell_Bent
03-09-09, 12:20
FWIW, this thread (and others like it here) saved me some cash...

I was in the market for an ML3 over the last few weeks and having a hell of a time finding one. After finding the info regarding the C3 here, I tossed GandRtactical a little cash and ended up with a C3 in an ADM cantilever for less than I was finding an ML3 alone from many vendors.

After a little more research and running the optic/mount through a few hundred rounds, I'm more than confident with the decision.

Great optic at an excellent price point. If you're not exceeding the 5 meter submersion envelope, then it's a great way to outfit a weapon and very nearly get the mount for free...

ROADKING
03-09-09, 13:46
It is a very nice set up, I am pleased with mine which is the same setup. Add some lens covers and the battery strap and you got a great optic. Send some pics.

Fireguy275
03-09-09, 15:05
Grant, please also pm me a price for a C3 and a LaRue mount.

Thank you....

akula88
03-10-09, 18:20
Does the C3 already came in with flip covers?

Are all accessories for M2/ML2 and M3/ML3 compatible with the C3?

I'm talking about the flip ups, rubber cover, kill flash, etc.

C4IGrant
03-10-09, 18:42
Does the C3 already came in with flip covers?

Are all accessories for M2/ML2 and M3/ML3 compatible with the C3?

I'm talking about the flip ups, rubber cover, kill flash, etc.

No covers. All M series items will work with the C3.

C4

Disciple
03-11-09, 07:28
On top of that, you get a mount with it that you can either keep or sell for $20-$30.

Is the mount that comes with it serviceable, or does it need to be replaced ASAP?

rob_s
03-11-09, 07:32
The stock mount that comes with the C3 is too low for use on an AR.

http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Aimpoint-10830-2.jpg

Disciple
03-11-09, 08:58
Thanks.

bkb0000
03-11-09, 09:21
you can use the mount with a riser, thats what i do.

what kind of ghoulish seance reanimated this corpse? forensics puts it at 3 years dead and fertilizing

Disciple
03-17-09, 19:48
what kind of ghoulish seance reanimated this corpse? forensics puts it at 3 years dead and fertilizing

People are frequently reminded make use of the search function; the continuation of old threads is one result.

bkb0000
03-18-09, 00:20
People are frequently reminded make use of the search function; the continuation of old threads is one result.

indeed- as should be! i was only seizing the opportunity to make a good joke. nothing wrong with exhuming threads to spark new conversation.

socal80
03-29-09, 12:07
Grant,
Can you please PM a price for the C3 and Larue Mount or ADM Mount?

Thanks!

C4IGrant
03-29-09, 13:19
Grant,
Can you please PM a price for the C3 and Larue Mount or ADM Mount?

Thanks!

Package deals w/ Aimpoints can be found on our website.

C4

socal80
03-29-09, 14:05
Package deals w/ Aimpoints can be found on our website.

C4

Do you have any idea of when you will be getting in more C3's?

Thanks

ROADKING
03-31-09, 20:34
The money you can save by buying a C3 is the money you could be saving with geico.

bkb0000
04-01-09, 00:47
The money you can save by buying a C3 is the money you could be saving with geico.

dude... the commercials dont lie- i actually saved about $800 this year with geico. couldn't em effing believe it.

scootle
01-24-11, 00:56
I'm going to necro this thread since, well... I have a question about this exact optic. :) Apologies in advance. :no:

I've noticed that the first two settings appear to be almost worthless... even sitting here at home in a darkened room I need to click it to the 4th click to see the dot (3rd click maybe if I'm in a pitch black room and my eyes are acclimated).

Is this normal? I swapped out the battery to a new one just in case the one it came with was in storage for a while, but no improvement. I did use the RDS today outside in bright sunlight against a white target and it was visible at around the 7th or 8th click (I forget exactly).

Thanks for any insight. I'm just curious if I should have the unit checked out by Aimpoint or something... it just seems odd the first two settings are so dim they are practically useless.

I'm kinda bummed though... I ordered this optic from another vendor and found out later that SWFA had a special deal where they kicked in a free rubberized body cover for the entire optic. :(

bkb0000
01-24-11, 01:36
yep, that's how they are. first 1 or 2 clicks are only barely perceptible on the darkest of cloud-covered nights, and only with natural night vision totally acclimated.

scootle
01-24-11, 01:42
yep, that's how they are. first 1 or 2 clicks are only barely perceptible on the darkest of cloud-covered nights, and only with natural night vision totally acclimated.

OK. thanks for that info. Now that I looked into it... it seems the Comp M* series use the first click for NVG mode, which maybe why they retained that behavior on the C3 even though it has no NVG mode.

And yeah, on the 2nd click, if I am in a completely dark room I can just barely make out the hint of a dot from the LED, so I know it's definitely on. Heh.

GhostB14
01-24-11, 19:27

I own both the ML3 and C3 and will second this.

kymudder08
02-22-11, 20:54
definitely glad i read this. i was looking into aimpoint for my AR thats almost done and i was dreading spending 500 on just the RDS plus 165 for the mount. so if im reading correctly, the c3 is the same as the ml3 just not as submersable and doesnt have flip caps and rubber battery cover stock? so if i drop it in water in water or if its raining i have nothing to worry about? is it better than the ml2, aside the fact that the ml series is only 4 moa?

scootle
03-22-11, 05:46
definitely glad i read this. i was looking into aimpoint for my AR thats almost done and i was dreading spending 500 on just the RDS plus 165 for the mount. so if im reading correctly, the c3 is the same as the ml3 just not as submersable and doesnt have flip caps and rubber battery cover stock? so if i drop it in water in water or if its raining i have nothing to worry about? is it better than the ml2, aside the fact that the ml series is only 4 moa?

I spent this past Saturday at a 1-day carbine clinic in the pouring rain (and mud) and my Aimpoint C3 weathered the moisture just fine. Unless you plan to immerse your optic underwater, you should be good to go with the C3.

For the money, I think the C3 is more than adequate for most non-professional (e.g. we don't carry a gun for a living) users.

The only caveat might be to see how the market turns out for the new Aimpoint PRO (patrol rifle optic)... it might prove to be very competitively positioned in the market.

rob_s
03-22-11, 06:30
If the PRO becomes readily available for private purchase I'll likely revise my recommendation of the C3, but for now I still think the C3 is the best buy.

Eric Shelton
03-22-11, 21:12
Grant, could I get a price on the C3, or (since it's an old thread) should I just check the website?