PDA

View Full Version : 2 dot sights

snackgunner
11-08-11, 17:53
How do you guys like the 2 dot ameriglo idot/pro idot setup? Or any other 2 dot sight setup? Ive read other threads talking about the ameriglo idot sights, but generally all of the posts talk about the ameriglo idot front sight and how it picks up at night. I didnt see many posts talking about how members like the 2 dot setup.

What Im concerned with is the rear sight, rather than the front sight. Ive never used 2 dots sights before and Im worried I wont be as effective with 2 dots sights as I would be with the standard 3 dot sights that Im used to. Was it easy for you guys to transition from 3 dot to 2 dot sights? Or did you mix up the dots too often and put the rear above the front?

Im going to be putting a set of ameriglo pro idot sights, green front green rear on a m&p 9mm fs; which will be used strictly for conceal carry/defense. Of course I could just go back the the 3 dot setup and put the m&p stock rear sight back on the gun, but I want to give the ameriglo sights a go and I hope I really like them. I pretty much made this post because I want to know what to expect.

Trying these sights out on a friends gun at the range isnt an option for me, so I was wondering how you guys like 2 dot sights.

Magic_Salad0892
11-08-11, 17:57
I've never had a problem with two dot setups, as if you were to put the rear dot above the front dot, you wouldn't be able to get a sight picture.

I'd say try 'em.

Defaultmp3
11-08-11, 21:05
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73303 has some info; you're probably better off looking at threads talking about the Heinie Straight Eights for 2 dot set-ups, since they seem to be the most popular 2 dots. I've only used Straight Eights, so I can't really compare them against a 3 dot setup, but I've never had issues with mixing up the dots at night, in what limited times I've had to use them as such.

one
11-08-11, 21:25
I used 3 dot sights for years and years (Trijicons and Meprolights). I always did ok with them but once I discovered the Heinie style straight eight configuration of dot over dot I never looked back. More recently I've been experimenting with a single front dot and black rear.

Looking back the only thing I wanted to try but never got around to was the Noveske dot over bar configuration. I don't know how well it really performed but in years past it got some exposure in gun magazines.

Maligator
11-08-11, 21:26
I'm a fan of the 2 dot sights. 3 dot is just too busy and hard to define for my aging eyes.

I've used Heine Straight Eights for years and have been very happy with them. My current carry gun (Glock 19) has the Ameriglo I-Dots. I really like them.

The tritium in the front sight is brighter than that in the rear. It is very easy to differentiate between them.

snackgunner
11-08-11, 21:42
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73303 has some info; you're probably better off looking at threads talking about the Heinie Straight Eights for 2 dot set-ups, since they seem to be the most popular 2 dots. I've only used Straight Eights, so I can't really compare them against a 3 dot setup, but I've never had issues with mixing up the dots at night, in what limited times I've had to use them as such.

Thanks for that link. My search fu must be weak.

And thanks everyone for the good info here so far.

Hizzie
11-08-11, 22:36
I despise 3 dot sights. I never thought ill of them till I had a custom night sight installed on my snubby. They could only do the front and I figured it was better than nothing. It was awsome, especially in low light. Faster and more consistent sight picture. All my "business" guns have tritium front sights only.

gun71530
11-08-11, 22:56
Another vote for Heine Straight Eights. I have been using on my Glock 19 for almost three years and I love them.

mkmckinley
11-08-11, 23:07
I only use 2 dot sights. I've been buying Ameriglo Pro i-dot sets. They have the really nice orange-ringed front vials outline on the rear vials. They're much less distracting in daylight and I don't have a problem lining them up in low light. In full light its almost like shooting with a fiber optic front sight.

vigilant2
11-08-11, 23:17
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. I had the Warren 2 dots for
awhile (approx 5 mths) and though fine in daytime, my aging eyes
(49yrs) had problems in low light , no light and black targets with them. I was prone to what I would call "user induced vertical stringing" under the above conditions. Outdoors or with a weaponlight
I can shoot accurately with all black sights, but otherwise with my
eyes I'm simply quicker and more accurate with the "busy" 3 dot setups.

ShipWreck
11-09-11, 12:39
I too much prefer 3 dot sights. I have tried 2 dots once, and I did not like it

misanthropist
11-09-11, 12:49
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. I had the Warren 2 dots for
awhile (approx 5 mths) and though fine in daytime, my aging eyes
(49yrs) had problems in low light , no light and black targets with them. I was prone to what I would call "user induced vertical stringing" under the above conditions. Outdoors or with a weaponlight
I can shoot accurately with all black sights, but otherwise with my
eyes I'm simply quicker and more accurate with the "busy" 3 dot setups.

I had a similar experience, and I have 34 year old eyes and 20/20 vision as per a full eye exam two days ago!

To be 100% forthright though, I only ran the 2-dot setup for about 500 rounds. It's possible that I would have gotten used to it and done better if I gave it more time, but it happened that I bought a new Glock with plain-jane 3 dots installed later that month, and stopped playing around with the 2-dots.

I did find it to be faster than the three-dot setup. I suspect that in the long run I would adjust and like the 2-dot array but my experience to date has been mixed.

Jim D
11-09-11, 12:59
How many of the 3-dot fans have ran them in little to no light?

This is where dots are supposed to be used, and this is where I find them unacceptable, personally.

vigilant2
11-09-11, 13:30
I used a Colt Commander w/ 3 dot trijicons to defend against a
knife wielding attacker in almost pitch black darkness in the woods
years ago (he ran off). Have used them during the night shoot
portion of both a Magpul Dynamics Handgun One class and Bushido
Tactical Defensive Carbine (Carbine plus secondary). I've trained
with Shannon Smith (FAST Academy) indoors in what would best be
described as "low light" even though it wasn't a low light class.
My eyes are the problem, doctor says perfect distance vision, just
up close/low light is where I suffer.

misanthropist
11-09-11, 15:15
How many of the 3-dot fans have ran them in little to no light?

This is where dots are supposed to be used, and this is where I find them unacceptable, personally.
I have. I did a low-light section with Ken Hackathorn and have run them on my own many times doing low-light drills.

I darken the rears with a red sharpie, and generally run green front, yellow rears.

For me this works pretty well.

CoryCop25
11-09-11, 15:30
I have the iDot with Hackathorn front on my Glock 21. They are nothing less than awesome. They pick up much quicker in the dark in my opinion.

Sry0fcr
11-09-11, 15:39
For fast sight picture acquisition the 2 dots beat 3 hands down for me. I used Warren Tactical sights on my G19 and loved them. I'm a huge fan of contrasting tritium between front and rear though. right now I'm using the Hack from sight with the stock rear on my M&P and I miss the 2 dot setup. I might have to put it on my Christmas List...

St.Michael
11-09-11, 15:53
I tried 2 dots this weekend. They were both white dots. I honestly couldn't get a picture fast enough and I didn't really care for em too much. Maybe more time behind them would help but I don't know.

Psalms144.1
11-09-11, 15:54
I've tried both and trained with both - in house, at Mid-South, Dieter's CQD, and some other places. I've also done a fair-middling amount of low light shooting - say 8-10 hours/year for about 12 years now (at least one 2-hour night shoot per quarter).

FOR ME, the 2-dots are a little faster, under ideal conditions. FOR ME, once the lighting gets dim, or the target gets very dark, or both, I lose the ability to get proper sight alignment with the 2-dots since there's no horizontal reference (dark metal sights in low light against a dark target make's good sight alignment pretty darned hard - especially on the move, against multiple targets, etc).

I understand the concept of 2-dots, and, to a large extent, "grew up" shooting iron-sighted Sigs with their "dot the I" system. I was VERY fast with that sight picture - because both the "dot" and the "I" are very visible. FOR ME, on 2-dot night sights, the bottom "dot" is too faint to allow quick and accurate alignment in less than ideal conditions.

Please note, this is one man's opinion, and worth every bit you paid for it.

Regards,

Kevin

Smash
11-15-11, 09:38
Are there warren Tactical 2 dot sights for the m&p9L and m&p9c or will a set work on either?

Nephrology
11-15-11, 11:16
I tried 2 dots but quickly switched over to front dot/black rear. Much better at speed for me, my eye picks it up and holds onto it faster.

ymmv i think they all work anyway.