PDA

View Full Version : Removable rail sections

wild_wild_wes
11-08-11, 20:43
What are your thoughts on the latest FF handguards that feature removable rail sections? When removed they give the handguard a nice slimline profile, and eliminate the need for rail covers, but do you think its best to always have rails there in case you have to mount things and don't want to be possibly caught flat-footed without the add-on rails, and what about barrel heat?

VIP3R 237
11-08-11, 21:02
I love my troy trx extreme. I would have a hard time going back to a full railed forearm again. Its nice not having the rough rail sections ripping up your hand if not wearing gloves. However by not having rails, you cannot use rail covers to insulate from the heat. That the only drawback imo.

gun71530
11-08-11, 22:14
I think it depends on the individual. I gave the VTAC TRX a shot and it just wasn't for me. I didn't really feel that the removable rail sections were really all that versatile. Now im rocking Daniel Defense rails with Larue index clips and I couldnt be happier.

Frens
11-09-11, 03:22
I'm not a big fan of removable rail sections...actually I like the idea behind them but I dont like screws...they can come loose or strip.
I prefer a fully railed handguard with ladder covers if I'm looking for a low profile setup.

both have their pro & con

JSantoro
11-09-11, 09:20
The biggest con is that the easiest way to swap out such rail sections at need is to remove the rail, and needing to re-zero/confirm zero anything that you shift in the process of doing that.

Anything else involves sticks with magnets on them, mariachi bands, chewing gum and magnifying glasses. It's a bloody PITA.

BUT....if you know that you're pretty much running it slick, or are very confident of where you want to hang stuff so you can set those sections upon initial installation, they're still extremely light, very versatile forearms, and they pricing is hard to argue with.

As for heat...that's why we have gloves.

Failure2Stop
11-09-11, 09:42
I have come to really appreciate rail covers/heat insualtors.
Right now I think that the LaRue PredatAR is the best in balancing a thin tube and heat.

tucsonan
11-10-11, 17:04
I don't like adding rail sections because they project out from the outer diameter of the rail. What I am trying to say is that with a standard railed handguard whatever you are mounting goes right on. When you use add on rails you have the tube, then the rail section, then whatever you mount projecting out. To me it is most annoying, sharp edges etc..., when mounting a VFG on a rail section. The other issue is invariably whenever you want to put on a small section it will mount just short or long of where you really want it, causing you to use a longer section then you want. For reference my experience is with an outdated issue PRI carbon fiber forend that I can't change making it more annoying than it probably really is in my mind. I think the newer troy extreme rails may have solved this problem. Good Luck.

seb5
11-11-11, 08:29
I have several Troy/viking tubes and lile them if you're only running a front sight, light, and sling. When you start adding rails you might as well go with a light rail like a DD lightrail or Centurion. It depends on your uses and what accessories you plan on adding. The mission drives the gear, always.