PDA

View Full Version : Needed upgrades to a glock?

stitchclimber
11-08-11, 23:49
I'm not talking fancy doo-dads and tacticool add ons.

What are some practical upgrades that improve the performance and use of a glock.

I already rock night sights, and an extended slide release and I have a rail mounted light for nightstand duty.

Are there any other upgrades I should consider for carry use?

F-Trooper05
11-09-11, 00:49
Vickers mag release and you're good to go.

skyugo
11-09-11, 00:57
a real good holster is worth its weight in gold. particularly if you CCW.

more mags..
ammo.
training.

that's the nice thing about glock, it's a tool not a distraction.

misanthropist
11-09-11, 00:59
decent sights
ammo

Nephrology
11-09-11, 04:32
No I think that's really it...

I have switched over to using the Lone Wolf "-" connector in my glocks, gives me a rolling break right around 5lbs.... but needed? not really.

Sensei
11-09-11, 08:06
If using a Gen3, the only addition other than NS that I put on my pistol is a Vickers extended mag release.

If we are talking about a Gen4, I switch out the connector to a OEM 3.5 (-). Some complain that this gives a mushy break and reset, but I only notice that the weight improves to 4.5-5.5 lbs. The new "dot" connector is another option to bring the trigger weight closer to the Gen3. I also make sure that I'm running the most updated RSA, although there is little evidence that the RSA affects reliability in the Gen4 - you either have one that runs or not and only high round counts will tell.

I've tried the Vickers extended slide release, but I'm still a sling-shot man at heart ;)

Jim D
11-09-11, 09:02
1)Sights

2)Grip plug

3)Texture - grip tape or stippling

4)Extended controls IF you need them - most will benefit from the LAV mag release, many can have troubles with the extended slide release. The LAV/TangoDown slide release presents fewer problems for folks.

Ironbutt
11-09-11, 09:11
1- Night sights.
2- Good holster.
3- Ammo. (Well, maybe ammo should be #1.)

CaptainDooley
11-09-11, 09:43
As a non-Glock owner (I have shot a few), what does the Grip Plug buy you? I understand it's filling in the hole in the back of the grip - but is leaving the hole open undesirable for any reason?

1)Sights

2)Grip plug

3)Texture - grip tape or stippling

4)Extended controls IF you need them - most will benefit from the LAV mag release, many can have troubles with the extended slide release. The LAV/TangoDown slide release presents fewer problems for folks.

uwe1
11-09-11, 09:45
This is a bit old, but it's from LAV...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11788

stitchclimber
11-09-11, 09:47
Holster and Ammo, check. (I work for CFS a holster maker)

Grip plug, check.

Vickers extended mag release? No, I'm not a fan of extended releases on carry pistols. To easy to drop a mag unintentionally.

I'm putting a Crimson trace laser grip on it in a few weeks, as well as performing a reduction and stippling to help improve grip angle.

Jim D
11-09-11, 10:02
As a non-Glock owner (I have shot a few), what does the Grip Plug buy you? I understand it's filling in the hole in the back of the grip - but is leaving the hole open undesirable for any reason?

The other un-stated benefit is that a good one like the Pearce (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22520/Product/GRIP-FRAME-INSERT-FOR-GLOCK-reg-) (rounded) removes a sharp edge inside the magazine well. I've had the rim of cartridges hit and hang up against that wall in the back before, stopping the mag from going in.

A rounded plug smoothes the back of the mag well out, and eliminates that potential speed bump. Other brands like Jentra (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7603/Product/GRIP-PLUG-for-GLOCK-reg-) are to be avoided, IMO, as they have a sharp corner at the base which only creates an additional speed-bump potential.

Jim D
11-09-11, 10:04
Holster and Ammo, check. (I work for CFS a holster maker)

Grip plug, check.

Vickers extended mag release? No, I'm not a fan of extended releases on carry pistols. To easy to drop a mag unintentionally.

I'm putting a Crimson trace laser grip on it in a few weeks, as well as performing a reduction and stippling to help improve grip angle.

Have you tried the Vickers? It's not nearly as extended as most.

I have some of the longest fingers in history, so I've never "needed" an extended anything. The Vickers mag release is easier for me to use though, keeps the mags from sticking less on me, and has never once caused the mag to drop when not intended.

If you haven't check this particular one out, I would recommend doing so.

The OEM one causes all kinds of problems for me, the Vickers does not.

Littlelebowski
11-09-11, 10:33
A training class.

ST911
11-09-11, 10:57
Sights, ammo, training. There are some who may benefit from extended controls.

JonnyVain
11-09-11, 20:52
If you have a gen3, some type of texturing. Stippling is good. I really like the Agrip. Grippy dry and grippier wet.