PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Rec. For Pocket Mag. Carry

Agile53
11-09-11, 00:33
My search-fu is weak + I hope this is the right sub-forum. I need a rec. for an inside the pocket single mag holder for a G17/19 mag.

Thinking nylon might remove w/ the mag., so any recs. on a rigid ( leather, kydex ) holder? Just something to keep the mag upright, not move from side to side in a front pants pocket.

Hot Sauce
11-09-11, 10:22
I have a Galco, and it works just fine.

Agile53
11-09-11, 10:37
HS thx for the reply, PM in your box.

FWIW the Galco appears to fit the need BUT while we are at it, any other recs. out there?

LDM
11-09-11, 11:09
I have a couple of the nylon in-the-pocket mag pouches (e.g. DeSantis Mag-Packer) and I have no trouble with the pouch coming out when i pull the mag.
For the money they are hard to beat.

Pax
11-09-11, 14:32
You could try your hand at sewing in your own elastic loop... But I understand that few will. If youre not interested in permanently modifying your pants, you can sew loop material to the inside of the pocket and then hook material to the ends of a 1"x~3.5" strip of elastic and then youve got an adjustable mag retention system, (omg!). This would also be far lower profile than any rigid insert option. I'd keep the strap ~1.5" from the base of the pocket to prevent the mag from tipping. Singlestacks and doublestacks could be accounted for with this and if youre interested in a system with more longevity you could make the strap out of the webbing of your choice, although elastic isnt exactly expensive and you can always replace it once it starts to wear out.

May I ask why youre interested in pocket carrying a spare mag, not AWIB? Sure, it sucks to sit down with a mag digging into your ribs... But its a far more consistent and reliable platform to draw from and a mag in a pocket is comparatively more difficult to access, especially in certain positions.

SeriousStudent
11-09-11, 19:04
The Desantis Mag-Packer and the Milt Sparks PCH-M have worked well for me.

LDM
11-10-11, 12:48
"May I ask why youre interested in pocket carrying a spare mag, not AWIB? Sure, it sucks to sit down with a mag digging into your ribs... But its a far more consistent and reliable platform to draw from and a mag in a pocket is comparatively more difficult to access, especially in certain positions."
I use the in-the-pocket mag holder principally when I carry in an ankle holster... which is typically in warm weather and I am wearing khakis and a tucked in polo shirt.