PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Scope For M4 Commando

Jack_Bauer
11-09-11, 08:43
Which scope would you choose for the two options to put on a M4 commando with 11.5" barrel suppressed?

Trijicon TA01LAW, Day Reticle Color: Black / Low Light Reticle Color: Red
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/djrbud8/TA01LAW.jpg

Trijicon TA01NSN, Day Reticle Color: Black / Low Light Reticle Color: Amber
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l554/djrbud8/TA01NSN.jpg

Dave L.
11-09-11, 08:57
Neither, that BDC wont be calibrated for an 11.5" barrel.
Also, they will suck at CQ work. Is there a reason you want this type optic on a weapon system designed for CQ work?

Frens
11-09-11, 09:13
never tried the LAW but the NSN is slow to use due to the 4x magnification and the lack of BAC system.

a RDS or a compact ACOG would be e better choice IMHO

Singlestack Wonder
11-09-11, 09:32
Neither for an 11.5" barrel. At the ranges that would be effective at, an Aimpoint is the way to go.

jwfuhrman
11-09-11, 09:39
Why would be ineffective? There are plenty of SME's on here that have a magnified optic on a 10.5-12.5 gun. It all depends on what he wants his gun to be for. If its his GP gun like my 12.5 is, some "power" is nice. If I had the $ I'd be running something with magnification on my 12.5 as its my GP gun, for now I'm using an EOTech.

TOrrock
11-09-11, 10:15
I think a better fit if you want an ACOG on your Commando is the TA-44 1.5x.

I ran a TA-44-4R on a 6920 for a while and it did very well.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA44-4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Colt%20LE%20M4%20MiniACOG/P1000496.jpg

Dave L.
11-09-11, 10:43
Why would be ineffective?

I have the option of 4X ACOG with/Doc Optic sight or an EOTech for my 416D; I chose the EOTech because I'm faster with it out to 300m. Eye relief on those 4X's is horribly close; only those crazy "nose to charging handle" guys can deal with it.
I wouldn't use the word "ineffective", I would say "not as effective as" an RDS or 1-4X on a short barrel.

I wanted to personally own a 4X ACOG right up until they issued me one...

jwfuhrman
11-09-11, 11:07
I wanted to personally own a 4X ACOG right up until they issued me one...

hahaha, thats just funny.

Yea, while I wouldn't run a straight 4x scope, a 1-4 is what I prefer. Im used to it from 3gun, and since I have WAY more trigger time with my 3gun rifle and a 1-4, I prefer a 1-4 over anything else.

I was just making the argument of if thats what he wants/is used to, then have at it.

Dave L.
11-09-11, 11:26
I was just making the argument of if thats what he wants/is used to, then have at it.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe he tried one and really liked it. I would agree 1-4X would also be my pref.

Jack_Bauer
11-09-11, 13:59
I have several 14.5" with fixed carry handle M4's but looking at getting a 11.5" M4 with flattop and can't really make my mind up on the scope. I really like Trijicon stuff so I figured I'd start there and kinda wanted something the military was using, you know how that goes. I agree the 1.5" eye relief is a concern. As for CQB I have a SBR HK53 and it doesn't get any shorter than that.

Moltke
11-09-11, 14:29
With your interest in magnification power, is this going to be a precision 11.5" gun? What ammo will you be shooting regularly?

If it's going to be a close to pretty close range weapon, then look at Aimpoint micro's - unlimited eye relief, lightweight, durable and long lasting red dot sight that will serve most any close range situation. Skill dependent you can still reach out there and hit stuff.

Jack_Bauer
11-09-11, 14:43
With your interest in magnification power, is this going to be a precision 11.5" gun? What ammo will you be shooting regularly?

If it's going to be a close to pretty close range weapon, then look at Aimpoint micro's - unlimited eye relief, lightweight, durable and long lasting red dot sight that will serve most any close range situation. Skill dependent you can still reach out there and hit stuff.

I'd say I have a 2x 14.5" for that purpose, using NATO M855 ammo. I would say yes it will be used for close to mid range. Looks to me that the TA45-4 might suit me better but I don't like how high it sets on the mount.

Jack_Bauer
11-09-11, 20:19
I have looked at the TA45-4 as this is there best close range scope but and this is a big but the thing is so high when mounted it's like it's on a perch on the upper. I have looked at the aim point but two thing I don't like 1) you have to turn a knob multiple times to get the dot you want & 2) It uses batteries which will run down and can corrode. At this point I am at an impass and not sure what the crap to do.

TOrrock
11-09-11, 20:24
I have looked at the TA45-4 as this is there best close range scope but and this is a big but the thing is so high when mounted it's like it's on a perch on the upper. I have looked at the aim point but two thing I don't like 1) you have to turn a knob multiple times to get the dot you want & 2) It uses batteries which will run down and can corrode. At this point I am at an impass and not sure what the crap to do.

Stop worrying about the Aimpoint. They are considered one of the toughest, most reliable optics on the planet, and are put through some of the toughest conditions by our military service members.

Battery life in Aimpoints is measured in years. If it makes you feel better to replace a battery every couple of years, go for it. It isn't 1990 anymore.

The tritium on an ACOG will also run out, and you can't just swap it out yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HEefl1KI4

Take 12 minutes to watch this video, Daniel Defense/Larry Vickers ran one of their carbines equipped with an Aimpoint T-1 Micro on it, and I'm frankly as impressed if not more so by the Aimpoint.

Caeser25
11-09-11, 20:38
I also vote neither. Aimpoint Micro, Acog 1.5x or a TA33 3x if you want a little magnification. With practice and great eye relief I can use my TA33 as close as 10 yards. I have not taken a class with it yet. Being 3X it gives me plenty of magnification. It does have a small field of view but it's so small you don't have to look around it to keep situational awareness. I often refer to it as a magnified T-1.

mkmckinley
11-09-11, 21:20
Only some people in the military are using an ACOG and it's not great for anything under 150m or so. It's mainly designed to improve hit probability at medium range. The military also issues a lot of Aimpoints which might be a better optic for a short barreled rifle.

tucsonan
11-10-11, 17:10
It's not what I would use for work but, I do have a 12.5 inch that I sometimes mount a TA-31F-A on, and it is ALOT of fun.

Alaskapopo
11-10-11, 23:43
Neither for an 11.5" barrel. At the ranges that would be effective at, an Aimpoint is the way to go.

What he said.
Pat