PDA

View Full Version : SC law enforcement officers?

lethal dose
11-09-11, 15:27
i have a court date tomorrow for a citation of "traveling too fast for conditions". this citation was issued to me after a resulting accident while i was driving ambulance. i am not too familiar with sc laws and was wondering if there is something i can do as far as coming to a plea agreement with the issuing officer and the courts. if i receive the 2 points on my license, it is likely that i will lose my job, as the insurance company representing my company has little tolerance. any suggestions?

RD62
11-09-11, 17:23
It is a possibility.

Get with the issuing officer prior to court and plead your case. You undoubtedly spoke with him when you were ticketed. Did he seem like he may receptive to reducing the charge?

Sometimes tickets are reduced just for appearance (but it's been a LONG time since I got a ticket).

When I was in LE (haven't been for about 4 years), the magistrate had issued instructions that all tickets were to be reduced at the time of issuance (if at all) saving time in court for those just appearing for a reduction. They could just mail it in and save didn't have to appear. It also reduced the amount of time the Deputy was off the road.

lethal dose
11-09-11, 17:46
i was subpoenaed so i have to show. i've been told that the judge is very fair and almost always drops charges altogether with a combination of a guilty plea and a letter from the insurance company stating that all damages will be taken care of on behalf of the insured. sounds like that might be my best route. the officer was nice enough. a cut to the chase guy, but that is what it's about in le.

ThirdWatcher
11-10-11, 13:59
Does your outfit have some kind of "accident review board"? That, in addition to the letter from your insurance company might be enough for the judge to dismiss the case (or reduce the charge, at least)... just a thought anyway. :)