PDA

View Full Version : Hacksaw for a 1911 school? Huh?

Peacekeeper1408
11-25-07, 00:29
I was looking over the required equipment for the Cylinder & Slide 1911 pistolsmithing course (really wish I could go) and it requires an 18 tooth blade hacksaw. My knowledge of 1911 smithing is small, but I've never heard of using a hacksaw on it or any other pistol. Anybody know what use it would serve?

Buck
11-25-07, 01:09
Anybody know what use it would serve?

In the interests of all 1911 owners everywhere, that’s what they use to cut your hands off with if you fail the course…

Peacekeeper1408
11-25-07, 09:39
In the interests of all 1911 owners everywhere, that’s what they use to cut your hands off with if you fail the course…

They should use a dremel for that. :D Too many good guns ruined by one.

mark5pt56
11-25-07, 09:46
Maybe when used with a jig for checkering? No idea really since I'm ignorant in that AO.

Sam
11-25-07, 11:22
Maybe when used with a jig for checkering? No idea really since I'm ignorant in that AO.

Files are used to checker.

Maybe the hacksaw is for any possible desire to bobtail a gun.

RD62
11-25-07, 15:51
I can't think of anything you'd use it for, but what do I know?

-RD62

HankL
11-26-07, 08:17
The only thing that I can think of is using the saw to make tools to use when working on the 45. i.e. they supply some steel rod, you slot it with your saw for a sandpaper holder ???

MX5
11-29-07, 08:52
C&S is well known for really small 1911s & Browning HPs. Back in the day (I started 'smithing in the early to mid-70s), we used to make our own parts or modify existing OEM parts. We couldn't buy what is now readily available - slides, frames & other parts were shortened, extended, welded, ground, etc. The names Swenson, Nonte, Behlert, Brown, Power, C&S, Seacamp, ASP & Devel come to mind. There were many others; some are no longer with us. Mini 1911s, P35s, S&Ws were made from scratch from full sized blasters. A small 1911 was a Commander, or you 'chopped & channeled' it yourself. Good luck with those longer or shorter mags, mag springs & recoil springs - it was all trial & error. Pocket guns were .25acp or smaller. There were no Officers Models, small S&Ws or Glocks. You could build a Colt Python from a early Colt full-sized revolver & there was even a gun called the "Smolt" - Python barrel on S&W frame. I remember seeing an 11" barrel/slide 1911.

Sights? We had factory, Bo-Mar, S&W adjustable revolver sights or we made them ourselves. 1911 mags held 7 rds, tritium sights didn't exist & plastic was crap. Hell, you had to weld-up & reshape a 1911 thumb or grip safety to get what you can buy today. We had no Internet, there were no paint finishes - it was blueing or parkerizing. Hard chrome was becoming the next best finish. The first portable handgun laser sight was as big as the gun, required a back mounted power supply & goggles.

Modern usage: I shortened the frame of a Kahr P9 to PM9 length long before Kahr made their 1st Covert model. Also, I've modified Glock G19 to G26 frame size & Glock G22 to G27 frame size. Dave Bowie at Bowie Tactical has developed quite a following for this same type work. Times have changed considerably.