PDA

View Full Version : Another favor request...

jc000
11-09-11, 23:41
Hello,

I'm a very inexperienced shooter based out of the Manassas area. I've owned a shotgun for quite a number of years (which has done a fine job of collecting dust) but lately I've been interested in increasing my proficiency with it, as well as purchasing/learning to use a pistol and semiauto rifle. This site has been EXTREMELY helpful.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and have chosen some pistol models I'd like to demo to choose which one I'm going to pick up. Unfortunately, I've heard some negatives about the range where I can rent most of these, and I don't want to build an impression off of a poorly maintained firearm.

Basically I'd like to know if anyone has a P2000 (1st choice), USPc (2nd), P30 (all in 9mm but would be ok with .40 I suppose), G19, or FNX-9 which they may let me shoot a couple mags of ammo with. I'd REALLY love to try the G19 against the P2000/USPc.

I sincerely apologize if this request is obnoxious, but I thought it was worth a shot to ask.

I'm sorry to say that I'm not an attractive female, and I have probably little to offer other than supplying the ammo (duh!) and maybe some cold beverages of your choice. Anyway, if anyone is interested, please feel free to send a pm.

Conversely, if anyone can suggest reputable ranges where I might be able to rent these guns I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks!

Jellybean
12-01-11, 17:03
Don't know if you've gotten this figured out yet, so I'll post something probably completely unhelpful. :D

Regardless of maintenance condition, I'll bet your best choice would be to find a range with rentals- you might end up having to go to more than one to test out the guns you want. I just checked real quick on google- here are a few things that might be interesting:

http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/location
(Never heard of them but they say they have rentals and doesn't seem to far from Manassas)

http://www.usacarry.com/directory/category/gun-ranges/virginia-gun-ranges/

http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx
I'm not sure if that's the right NRA search, but there was one from them that was helpful to me when I was in a similar situation a couple years back.
I can't say how reliable any of the info on these sites is, so....

Otherwise I can't say as I'm not from up north va. If you want to take a nice long trip south, Dominion shooting range in Richmond, or A&P Arms (?) in Lynhaven, Va Beach have a good selection of handguns, as well as some rifles, shotguns, sub-guns, and such.

Moltke
12-07-11, 13:14
Ranges that rent guns in northern VA.

- Blue Ridge Arsenal, Chantilly VA

- Sharpshooter's, Lorton VA

- Silver Eagle Group, Ashburn VA

I suggest that you call them and see what they have available for renting, I'm sure they'll all have something you want to shoot.

jc000
12-11-11, 19:36
I apologize--hadn't seen these responses.

Blue Ridge is the local range I referred to. I'd been warned by enough folks to be wary of the condition of their rentals. Regardless I did end up trying some rentals there and bought a HK P2000 LEM V2 based on my (limited) testing. I've only got about 4-500 rounds through it but so far so good.

Thanks for the replies.

jamesavery22
12-22-11, 14:19
Blue Ridge has a large amount of pistols to rent. You must use their ammo if you rent their firearms.

They are rented frequently and rarely cleaned. So yes many of their rentals are beaters. I've stripped rented handguns while in a lane and brushed all internals off with a toothbrush. They aren't going to complain if you clean it for them...

They are very reasonable. If a rental is acting up they'll give you compensation(a different handgun, more ammo, whatever is warranted).

Had a buddy that was in the same boat. Wanted to purchase a pistol and had a plethora of manufacturers he wanted to try. We paid for one rental and swapped out 5 times. He only put 10-20 rounds through each handgun but at least he got to try the variety.

edit-----
They have posted,on their forum, what they have for rent:
http://community.blueridgearsenal.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?as=67429&w=184002&d=264407

Rental Guns

We have the following rental guns.

Glock 19, 21sf, 22, 23, 26,27, 30sf, 34, 36

Smith & Wesson 500, 460, M&P in 9mm, 40sw and 45. AR15 chambered in 5.45x39 and revolvers.

H&K - P2000, USP 9, 40, 45 and P30

Sig Sauer - 1911,556, 229, 226, 220, 239, 250 and Mosquito

Beretta - PX4 full size and Compact 9mm

Full Auto - HK MP5, MP5SD and 416

AR- Next Generation M4

2 AK's 7.62x39