PDA

View Full Version : Gift for nurse - Littmann Cardiology III or Master Cardiology?

QuietShootr
11-10-11, 10:01
Would a nurse appreciate a Master Cardiology, or is there something about the double-sided III that would make it better for a nurse?

kiwi57
11-10-11, 20:46
I'm not being facetious. What's the intended use? Will he/she be using it during training and beyond in a variety of settings? Or is the recipient already practicing in a specialized area of nursing?

I would recommend the Master Cardiology only if the intended recipient is working exclusively in adult cardiology (and plans to do so for many years into the future).

For virtually every other setting, I'd recommend the Cardiology III. It is more versatile (meets the needs of pediatric and adult patients) and is extremely accurate/comfortable for the user.

Also, unless you want the gift to be a surprise, you might want to ask the recipient what model they would prefer. Either way, it is a thoughtful gift and will provide many years, if not decades of use if properly cared for.

kiwi57

lethal dose
11-10-11, 20:56
I like the master classic, myself. That said, I've known some people to have better luck with $30 devices. Stethescopes are like bicycles... not always one size fits all. Ymmv.

ST911
11-10-11, 22:43
I've had great service from my Master Cardiology. If I were buying another at that level, I'd get the Cardiology III.

Hmac
11-10-11, 23:30
It depends a lot on what kind of nursing we're talking about. For most floor, ICU, or ER nurses, their stethoscope needs are breath sounds, bowel sounds, and (rarely these days) taking blood pressures. A $30 basic Littman is more than enough and anything beyond that is pretty much overkill. That doesn't take into account the symbolism of a higher-level stethoscope as a nice gift, but from a practical standpoint a nurse's stethoscope needs are pretty low-level.

montanadave
11-10-11, 23:46
Back in the day, I bought myself a Master Cardiology. And don't get me wrong, it's a good stethoscope.

But the Cardiology III (or even the Classic II) would have been more versatile and served me better working in a variety of clinical settings.

chuckman
11-11-11, 07:06
It depends a lot on what kind of nursing we're talking about. For most floor, ICU, or ER nurses, their stethoscope needs are breath sounds, bowel sounds, and (rarely these days) taking blood pressures. A $30 basic Littman is more than enough and anything beyond that is pretty much overkill. That doesn't take into account the symbolism of a higher-level stethoscope as a nice gift, but from a practical standpoint a nurse's stethoscope needs are pretty low-level.

Yes, this. Save the extra $$ and augment a good $30 Littman with some other gifts. An analogy might be buying a new Porsche for a 16 year-old getting his driver's licence. A nice car but way more than he needs.

ST911
11-11-11, 20:30
One of the best scopes I've used was a $50 something or other, with a clear rubber covering enclosing the back of the bell. Great acoustics, quiet in the bus.

I view my stethescopes like I view my pocket knives. I want them of sufficient quality to do what I need, but not so expensive that they can't be readily and inexpensively replaced.

Hmac
11-11-11, 21:39
I've been a surgeon for a long, long time. I don't think I even own a stethoscope. (I might actually own one, but I'm not clear on where it is at the moment).

kiwi57
11-11-11, 22:07
Hmac,

Re:

"I've been a surgeon for a long, long time. I don't think I even own a stethoscope. (I might actually own one, but I'm not clear on where it is at the moment)."

May I have permission to use this quote?

Thanks,

kiwi57

Hmac
11-11-11, 22:51
Hmac,

Re:

"I've been a surgeon for a long, long time. I don't think I even own a stethoscope. (I might actually own one, but I'm not clear on where it is at the moment)."

May I have permission to use this quote?

Thanks,

kiwi57

Sure.

This thread prompted me to ask my buddy, an anesthesiologist, about it this morning as I noticed the fancy amplified Littmann he had around his neck. It served to remind me that different medical professionals in different areas had different needs. His ability to make sense of the various different heart sounds, like my cardiology colleagues, relieves me of that need. My requirements are completely served by the simple $30 devices that are hanging on every cart and coat rack in the hospital or outside of every patient room. I can't get through my day without needing an ultrasound machine or doppler probe, but a stethoscope...just not a part of my daily toolkit anymore.

QuietShootr
11-12-11, 08:37
Ok.... it sounds like this might be a waste. After doing a little searching on nursing forums, I guess theft is a big problem for something that nice.

Ipsilateral_7
11-12-11, 10:05
not only that but littmanns aren't that great of scopes. 90% of physician sues them but I'd guess fewer than 1/4 actually know how to use the tunable diaphragm.

and as above, these do tend to walk away, so of you do get it, buy online from a place like allheart or steeles which will engrave their name on it.

QuietShootr
11-12-11, 10:19
Yes, I was definitely going to do the engraving.

So what's better than a Littmann?

bova41@mac.com
11-12-11, 10:35
Not necessarily better but I really like ADC scopes. Much less expensive than the littmans but I and many of the medics I work with have had great experience with them.

airwayguru
11-12-11, 20:33
I work in a medical clinic as part of my required by me medical director and on mission trips I use the Master Cardiology III. Alot of the CMA's, nurses, and docs I work with carry Master Cardiology and III. So I wuld give her the III. It is a very dependable stethoscope. As for the theft, depending where you are at they do walk. As long you keep a good eye on your stethoscope you will have no problems.

Deputy91
11-12-11, 21:15
The cardiology III is nice but you can purchase 2 Classic 2 SE for the same price. I have been workign as a Paramedic for about 20 years and the Classic II's have served me well. I generally buy then in the less popular colors (ie Purple or others) and have them engraved so that if it grows legs, it is earier to pick out around someone else's neck.

-Mike.

Deputy91
11-12-11, 21:16
Oh and I ordered my last set of parts from steeles they engrave too.

brit
11-12-11, 22:29
I bet she would appreciate a $50 scope and some of those nice $50 dr. scholl's custom inserts instead of a master cardiology. :)

Is she really going to be differentiating between a split S2 and an S3?

Hmac
11-13-11, 06:37
I bet she would appreciate a $50 scope and some of those nice $50 dr. scholl's custom inserts instead of a master cardiology. :)

Is she really going to be differentiating between a split S2 and an S3?

Exactly. Is she ever even going to be listening to heart sounds at all? Or looking for a carotid bruit? No. Bowel sounds and breath sounds. That's it.

chuckman
11-13-11, 11:03
Exactly. Is she ever even going to be listening to heart sounds at all? Or looking for a carotid bruit? No. Bowel sounds and breath sounds. That's it.

Our CCU nurses know heart sounds better than most of the residents. Aside from that unit, breath sounds and bowel sounds.

I still think the basic Littman plus $$ towards a nice pair of shoes. The shoes, she will use the hell out of 'em. I think I have put close to a grand in footwear just for work since I left EMS for nursing in 2003.

ST911
11-13-11, 21:50
The cardiology III is nice but you can purchase 2 Classic 2 SE for the same price. I have been workign as a Paramedic for about 20 years and the Classic II's have served me well. I generally buy then in the less popular colors (ie Purple or others) and have them engraved so that if it grows legs, it is earier to pick out around someone else's neck. -Mike.

Classic 2 SE is value-packed. Great s-scope, great price.

On the colors... Everyone seems to be buying the off colors these days to discourage theft. Trouble is, everyone has them, and they're not so easy to pick out. (See also: colored handcuffs). Engraving is a must.

WS6
11-16-11, 10:32
Would a nurse appreciate a Master Cardiology, or is there something about the double-sided III that would make it better for a nurse?

I have a cardiac Litman, I don't know the model because oddly, it is not on mine (wierd).

Everyone who has borrowed it is amazed at how clear it sounds.

That said, both "sides" have their uses. The bell is used to listen for carotid bruits, IIRC from school.

I say IIRC, because I have never needed to use it for such in the 1.5 years I have spend in SICU and Stepdown. Not to say it isn't good, but I never felt lacking.

The main thing I use it for:

Listening to CABG's to make sure there isn't anything going on that shouldn't be (had a guy with some internal bleeding, didn't even need a scope to hear that.).
Listening to breath/bowel sounds (95% of its use).
Listening to abdominal aortic aneurysms.
Listening to mechanical heart-valves.
Listening to AV grafts
Listening for S1S2 and making sure there are no extraneous sounds
Listening to crepitus

It is not within my skillset to diagnose mild murmurs, etc. and they did not teach us to listen for them in school, nor did I learn at this point in my career.

On the colors... Everyone seems to be buying the off colors these days to discourage theft. Trouble is, everyone has them, and they're not so easy to pick out. (See also: colored handcuffs). Engraving is a must.

Mine is black tubing, and engraved. Huge +1 on engraving. I have maintained ownership of it for my entire career, short it may be to this point, and am quite proud as I am forever losing things.

WS6
11-16-11, 10:32
Our CCU nurses know heart sounds better than most of the residents. Aside from that unit, breath sounds and bowel sounds.

I still think the basic Littman plus $$ towards a nice pair of shoes. The shoes, she will use the hell out of 'em. I think I have put close to a grand in footwear just for work since I left EMS for nursing in 2003.

+1 on the shoes. I use New Balance and replace them every 6 months. Not because I wear them out, but because I finally freak out over all the isolation rooms I have been in, piss and blood I have stepped in, and all that and just can't stand to own them anymore.

Texas42
11-17-11, 10:30

+1

I like mine a lot (as a 4th year medical student). I have a more expensive one, but I leave it at home. Really, unless your a cardiologist, you don't need fancy.

I do like having a bell, at least as a student, I don't get heckled as much by the cardiologist. And it helps for hearing S4's.

SteepandDeep
02-15-12, 11:03
Dear Dude,

Get I have a Littman Cardiology III. Great sound, but the length of the tube from the bell to the ears is a little short. Get the LONGER tubed one. Some patients you really don't want to be that close to their face/chest/body etc.

The shorter tube gives marginally better sound supposedly. I doubt I could tell the difference.

Great gift, it will last them a lifetime.

drsal
02-15-12, 11:34
I've been a surgeon for a long, long time. I don't think I even own a stethoscope. (I might actually own one, but I'm not clear on where it is at the moment).

I didn't think a surgeon even knew what a stethoscope was :p

Hmac
02-15-12, 12:04

Bowel sounds and breath sounds. A stethoscope allows me to avoid laying my ear on the patient's tummy.

But it's true, I use bedside ultrasound far more often than I use a stethoscope.

citizensoldier16
02-15-12, 20:20
My experience is 10 years in EMS...so take this with a grain of salt if your purchase is for a floor nurse. The Classic II is by far the best of the Littman scopes for a less-than-Cardiologist provider. You get great tone, plus its very sensitive for listening to lung sounds, bowel sounds, and for taking blood pressures. Anything above that is more geared towards Cardiologists needing to discern the difference between S1-S4 and beyond. If your nurse friend doesn't know what that is...it's a waste of money.

A word of caution: stay AWAY from the Littman Lightweight. It has aluminum arms versus steel and these tend to bend very easily when the scope is stuffed into pockets or bags. Also...tell your RN friend NOT to hang the scope over the rearview mirror in the car. This is the medical equivalent to having 100 dashlights in your car or a big DPMS sticker on the back of your truck. It screams "I'm a douche and want everyone to think I'm a hot shit doctor!"

I've owned 3 Classic IIs in my 10 years in EMS...and I won't purchase any other scope.

WS6
02-16-12, 04:43
My experience is 10 years in EMS...so take this with a grain of salt if your purchase is for a floor nurse. The Classic II is by far the best of the Littman scopes for a less-than-Cardiologist provider. You get great tone, plus its very sensitive for listening to lung sounds, bowel sounds, and for taking blood pressures. Anything above that is more geared towards Cardiologists needing to discern the difference between S1-S4 and beyond. If your nurse friend doesn't know what that is...it's a waste of money.

A word of caution: stay AWAY from the Littman Lightweight. It has aluminum arms versus steel and these tend to bend very easily when the scope is stuffed into pockets or bags. Also...tell your RN friend NOT to hang the scope over the rearview mirror in the car. This is the medical equivalent to having 100 dashlights in your car or a big DPMS sticker on the back of your truck. It screams "I'm a douche and want everyone to think I'm a hot shit doctor!"

I've owned 3 Classic IIs in my 10 years in EMS...and I won't purchase any other scope.

I have a cardiac model Littman, and for my purposes, it does "go to waste", but it was a gift, so I smile!

I especially like your advice in red. I have actually seen a car parked at my hospital with those mail-box letters on it "RN".

SERIOUSLY!?

I have no idea why some nurses see fit to whore their profession out all over facebook with "somewhere a nurse is getting thrown up on..." posts, Stethoscopes over the mirror, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my career and am proud of it, but it almost looks like they are trying to convince THEMSELVES of those feelings.

*Sorry for the rant*

Surgeons at my hospital do indeed use the stethoscope often. Probably the biggest proponent of that instrument is a renal doctor, oddly enough. Very OCD, but extremely thorough with their patients. Good guy.

QuietShootr
02-16-12, 07:07

Actually she's a banging-hot RN/BSN who is working on her MSN. She worked in ICU right out of college before transferring to the ER for the adrenaline about six months ago. She doesn't have to do silly shit like that to be the alpha bitch...she just is an alpha bitch.

I know she doesn't need a top-shelf stethoscope, in the same sense that I don't NEED an AI AW to run in a sniper competition...but good equipment is a pleasure to use.

Hmac
02-16-12, 07:24
Actually she's a banging-hot RN/BSN who is working on her MSN. She worked in ICU right out of college before transferring to the ER for the adrenaline about six months ago. She doesn't have to do silly shit like that to be the alpha bitch...she just is an alpha bitch.

I know she doesn't need a top-shelf stethoscope, in the same sense that I don't NEED an AI AW to run in a sniper competition...but good equipment is a pleasure to use.
No argument there. In many cases, the symbolism of the gift is more important than its functionality. Who could argue with the value of giving a nurse a top quality stethoscope? (other than M4C, of course...)

Z71Silverado09
03-06-12, 05:40
very true, it all depends on what the nurse does...the most expenseive might not be the best