PDA

View Full Version : XD Classification

NightFighter
11-25-07, 07:58
I have the 4" XD-Compact in 45ACP and I want to start shooting IDPA, but I dont know what classification the XD fits. Also, do different XDs fit into different classification categories? There is a big point difference between ESP and SSP. What handguns fit into the SSP classification? I have read the IDPA rule book, but still need some help figuring out this situation. Any help on this is appreciated.

Robb Jensen
11-25-07, 09:32
The XD45ACP can be used in CDP if mags are loaded with no more than 8 rounds and in ESP if mags aren't loaded with more than 10 rounds.

Per the IDPA rule book (http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf).

CDP division (8 rounds per mag) .45ACP only (power factor of 165) can be single or double action.
(41oz weight limit w/empty mag)

ESP division (10 rounds per mag) 9mm and up (power factor of 125) single or double action (43oz weight limit w/empty mag).

SSP division (10 rounds per mag) 9mm and up (power factor of 125) must be double action for first shot (39oz weight limit w/empty mag).

The XD is considered a single action because pulling the trigger doesn't 'cock' the striker and merely just releases it. On a Glock the act of pulling the trigger cocks the striker and releases it and on an M&P it's almost like a XD except the striker does move rearward about .003" more rearward while pulling the trigger (so it's barely a double action).

NightFighter
11-25-07, 11:17
The XD is considered a single action because pulling the trigger doesn't 'cock' the striker and merely just releases it. On a Glock the act of pulling the trigger cocks the striker and releases it and on an M&P it's almost like a XD except the striker does move rearward about .003" more rearward while pulling the trigger (so it's barely a double action).

So, would the .003" rearward movement place the M&P (barely) into the SSP classification?

Any suggestion on what handgun is best to start IDPA?

Robb Jensen
11-25-07, 11:30
So, would the .003" rearward movement place the M&P (barely) into the SSP classification?

Any suggestion on what handgun is best to start IDPA?

Yes. The design of the M&P barely makes it a double action.

The XD is fine to start with in IDPA. For shooting ESP division the .45 will put you at a slight disadvantage because of additional recoil. If I were you I'd start with it in CDP division.

If you wanted to start in SSP I'd recommend a Glock 17 or S&W M&P9. If you'll be reloading I'd recommend a M&P40 as you can actually load it to shoot softer than a 9mm and still make power factor (125pf).

The equation for power factor is bullet weight (in grains) times velocity (feet per second) divided by 1000.

So take a factory 9mm 115gr load (like Winchester white box) 115gr doing 1150fps makes 132 power factor.

Handloaded .40 S&W 200gr doing 650fps makes 130 power factor
or
180gr doing 700fps makes 126 power factor (I'd bump it up to 725fps for 130 power factor to more safely make it for cold days myself).

(both are very soft shooting softer than factory 9mm).

NightFighter
11-25-07, 15:20
Yes. The design of the M&P barely makes it a double action.

The XD is fine to start with in IDPA. For shooting ESP division the .45 will put you at a slight disadvantage because of additional recoil. If I were you I'd start with it in CDP division.

If you wanted to start in SSP I'd recommend a Glock 17 or S&W M&P9.

Wouldnt the additional time due to recoil from a .45 be offset when I improve my accuracy? I would like to shoot IDPA with the same weapon I carry. Or is that not a practical approach to IDPA?

I will not be reloading. I will have to make due with factory ammo.

I have been reading some additional forums and there seem to be some discussion that the M&P is a handgun going through growing pains. What do you think of the M&P trigger?

What sort of sights would you suggest to start in IDPA?

Is a colored front sight and black rear sight the best set up for IDPA?

Robb Jensen
11-25-07, 19:01
Wouldn't the additional time due to recoil from a .45 be offset when I improve my accuracy? I would like to shoot IDPA with the same weapon I carry. Or is that not a practical approach to IDPA?

I will not be reloading. I will have to make due with factory ammo.

I have been reading some additional forums and there seem to be some discussion that the M&P is a handgun going through growing pains. What do you think of the M&P trigger?

What sort of sights would you suggest to start in IDPA?

Is a colored front sight and black rear sight the best set up for IDPA?

Accuracy is paramount in IDPA you either have it or you don't. 9mm is just as accurate if not more so than .45 You won't make Expert or Master without accuracy. I wouldn't call myself a great shot (a good one maybe) and I've yet to make Master. TGO I am not. (TGO = The Great One.....Rob Leatham).

Your carry gun is ideal for IDPA. Some carry guns won't make you competitive in IDPA. Some carry .32ACP Kel-Tecs (including me sometimes) better a .32 than nothing..........as Clint Smith says a pistol is a means to fight to get to your rifle and believe me I always have one nearby. Sure the M&P is going through a few things. It's been out for a year and a half, the Glock has been out for 25 years and goes through 'upgrades' all the time. Perfection is far from it, it's man made of course it'll take refinements as will the M&P, I predict that next year that 'Production' division of USPSA will be 50% if not more S&W M&Ps.........

I recommend Warren sights for whatever gun you'll be using in IDPA or carry.

I recommend the plain black rear and a Warren night sight front or if you need tritium in your rear sight then the Warren rear with yellow, more dim modules without white outlines.

NightFighter
11-25-07, 20:09
I recommend Warren sights for whatever gun you'll be using in IDPA or carry.

I recommend the plain black rear and a Warren night sight front or if you need tritium in your rear sight then the Warren rear with yellow, more dim modules without white outlines.

Any suggestion of who in the NOVA area that has and can install Warren sights or can do trigger work on either an XD or M&P handgun?