PDA

View Full Version : SIG to start selling 550 full lowers!

HK51Fan
11-10-11, 14:36
I just spoke to Scott Darian (sp?) at SIG a few minutes ago! Great guy, by the way, and he told me that in todays SIG email they are going to offer complete 550 lowers with internals and the SAN buttstock w/ 2 swiss mags for 369.00!!!!!

Woohoo.......so anyone out there who has been kicking around doing a 552 SBR. Let's break it down,

1. SIG 556 pistol - 1100.00

2. SIG 550 lower - 369.00

3. tax stamp - 200.00

total - 1669.00

Not to shabby!!

p.s. I was told that I was the first customer to hear of this deal, so if it turns out to be wrong, then Scott has a cruel sense of humor!

caporider
11-10-11, 14:47
Guys on sigforum are also starting to see the email, so it looks like this is happening for real.

Cool.

ETA: It's just the 551-A1 lower.

Not cool.

KhanRad
11-10-11, 16:31
Too bad they aren't select fire lowers. ;)

SteyrAUG
11-10-11, 17:15
Well that solves HALF the problem.

:laugh:

variablebinary
11-10-11, 18:46
What about the upper, which is really the larger problem.

Moose-Knuckle
11-10-11, 19:36
Per Sig news letter mailed out today.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/551_lower_promo8.jpg

JoshNC
11-10-11, 21:26
Those are not 550 lowers. Those are US-made 556A1 lowers. Still a good deal. The best deal is the $37.80 mags.

Moose-Knuckle
11-10-11, 21:38
Those are not 550 lowers. Those are US-made 556A1 lowers.

Another reason to pass. I hope those mags at least are genuine Swiss.

variablebinary
11-10-11, 22:19
Not actual Swiss spec lowers?

Buzz kill.

I'll pass on any Cohen specials.

HK51Fan
11-10-11, 22:33
sorry guy's I was just passing on what I was told sight unseen........regardless of being swiss or not it's still a heck of a deal for a lower, stock,and 2 mags!! I'm going to have to see if anyone local has a 556a1 in their shop so I can see what the lower and internals look like.

scottryan
11-10-11, 23:07
How ****ing stupid does that rep from SIG think people are?

Where is S-1 at with his excuse for this situation?

variablebinary
11-10-11, 23:51
Actually, I take back my previous post.

I'd actually consider buying one of these lowers if I had an extra $6000 laying around to commit to a full SG552 spec project.

As it stands, I cant see springing for the lower just to add to a crappy American spec 556 upper

Part of the problem is the serial number is on the upper, so it's a real pain in the ass. If the lower were serialized, it would make a project gun a lot easier to work on.

HK51Fan
11-11-11, 02:40
I'm not going to say anything right now. I think in a couple of months we'll see some posts and pics of some pretty cool 552 type conversions now that these lowers are available at a decent price. I for one am a bit excited so i'm going to wait and see.

99% of the posts I've read concerning the 556 and it's crappines stemmed from the cheap furniture. The rifle itself and the internals seem to work well. I have read countless reports of people having fired thousands of rounds through their weapons without a hiccup! Compared to the anemic market that we had for 10-15yrs I'm excited and say what you like about SIG they do seem to be making changes and actually listening to feedback.
I've heard that to date SIG has sold several thousand 556 rifles and the vast majority run fine. Now they're offering actual SAN furniture at cost. I don't see any other companies doing this, but on the other hand I haven't seen many other companies outfit their initial rifles with such cheap crap in the first place. So I guess it's a wash at this point.

scottryan
11-11-11, 05:20
I fail to see how this lower is going to facilitate the building of 55X clones.

It is not a real swiss lower and was already avaliable on a complete rifle.

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-11-11, 05:57
Actually, I take back my previous post.

I'd actually consider buying one of these lowers if I had an extra $6000 laying around to commit to a full SG552 spec project.

As it stands, I cant see springing for the lower just to add to a crappy American spec 556 upper

Part of the problem is the serial number is on the upper, so it's a real pain in the ass. If the lower were serialized, it would make a project gun a lot easier to work on.

my thoughts exactly why the hell cant we get a 552

Winnerkd
11-11-11, 07:04
This seems like standard M.O. for SIG, to just release something that looks like what people want, cosmetics apparently are paramount at SIG.

KalashniKEV
11-11-11, 09:40
How ****ing stupid does that rep from SIG think people are?

+1

"Here is the opportunity you have been waiting for..."

LOL

I wish I had enough money to buy some FNC tooling and set up shop catering to the "need to be different" crowd. This is the same terrible story as the Armalite AR-180B.

KhanRad
11-11-11, 10:08
Cohen's Sig really depends on deception now days to make their sales. Eventually the reputation that Sig earned before his arrival, will wither away and they will depend on the legacy they have made. By that time Cohen will be gone, and Sig will be left high and dry just as Kimber was. More and more components are being converted to MIM and it looks as though much of it will be made in Brazil. So, just like Brazil based Taurus......Sig will only sell products to the ignorant.

SteyrAUG
11-11-11, 11:26
I'm not going to say anything right now. I think in a couple of months we'll see some posts and pics of some pretty cool 552 type conversions now that these lowers are available at a decent price. I for one am a bit excited so i'm going to wait and see.

99% of the posts I've read concerning the 556 and it's crappines stemmed from the cheap furniture.

I actually had a Limited Edition SG551 which was a 556 with a TRUE Swiss lower. The main problem that remained was sights, Auroras were as good as it got but still left something to be desired.

There is also the well known gas port issue that exists on ANY US SIG upper. This is probably one of the main sources of feed problems encountered on US SIGs.

I was also frustrated by the rail setup, it doesn't mount in the same manner as on a true SIG and it's kinda cheap and vulnerable.

There was no rear sling attachment point on the receiver which means ever sling attaches to a folding buttstock at the rear resulting in a serious contraption. Even the RUssians had a better setup.

And finally I hated the muzzle device. I had to install a Veltor flash hider to be able to use a HALO suppressor. The 556 flash hider may look like a NATO type flash but the barrel profile behind the FH is belled which prevents the mounting of a HALO suppressor. Not surprising they work on genuine SIGs just fine.

Sadly this is just another SIG band aid to try and fix a problem that should have never existed. It's one more baby step towards "looking like" the rifle they should have made in the first place. And like the upper, I suspect that the US SIG "classic lower" will have just as many quality concessions.

The smart money jumped on those factory 552 Cammandos that popped up on the radar about a year ago.

SteyrAUG
11-11-11, 11:28
This seems like standard M.O. for SIG, to just release something that looks like what people want, cosmetics apparently are paramount at SIG.

Sadly it works.

There is no shortage of retards with crappy HK clones talking about how they are just as good as factory German.

Miami_JBT
11-11-11, 11:56
+1

"Here is the opportunity you have been waiting for..."

LOL

I wish I had enough money to buy some FNC tooling and set up shop catering to the "need to be different" crowd. This is the same terrible story as the Armalite AR-180B.

I personally have nothing against the "need to be different crowd". I'm somewhat part of them... I had a Armalite AR-180B (complete piece of crap) and still have a nicely tricked out WASR-10, Century HK93 Clone, a Microtech XM17-E4, and a SBR'ed FN PS90 to go along with my two AR-15s.

I love the AR-15 for what it is but I do like having the other stuff. I'd love to have a proper Sig Sauer Rifle.... the thought of having a Sig 55X series rifle that properly worked of AR-15 magazines would make me happier then a stripper with a hundred dollar bill and a pile of blow. But the problem with Sig Sauer is that their quality has gone down hill. I own a Sig 522 Rifle for plinking and it works but what's sad is that the crappy stock set and shitty level of quality that goes into that rifle goes exactly the same into the 556 series of rifles. For a -$400 .22LR clone.... okay.... but for a +$1,400 5.56x45mm rifle.... that ****ing blows hard.

KalashniKEV
11-11-11, 13:29
Eventually the reputation that Sig earned before his arrival, will wither away and they will depend on the legacy they have made.

It's already happened. I don't make it public knowledge that I'm a gun guy, but I was approached by a total n00b with a few questions... Even he said, "I heard SIG is good but that you have to get a W. German b/c the new stuff is all garbage."

For better or worse, it's already become a repeated mantra, like "AR is the accurate one, AK is the reliable one."

People are saying, "SIG was awesome, but now they suck."

...and it's all Cohen's fault.

I'm somewhat part of them...

I am too, I didn't mean to sound derogatory. That's why I would love to be folding FNC receivers. I think it would be great even if CAI got some kits and subbed out the builds. (and they worked)

My C93 is awesome.

How funny would it be if CAI got their hands on some random 55X series kits and built a better gun than SIG USA for $500???

It would have to be contracted to someone competent like the HKs though... since they screw up everything they do themselves.

Moose-Knuckle
11-11-11, 13:30
Sadly this is just another SIG band aid to try and fix a problem that should have never existed. It's one more baby step towards "looking like" the rifle they should have made in the first place. And like the upper, I suspect that the US SIG "classic lower" will have just as many quality concessions.

I couldn't have said it better myself, spot on Steyr.

I sold off my early '07 556 and now just need to get around to sell off my '08 556P that I had hoped to get a tax stamp for.

bondmid003
11-11-11, 15:00
I sprung for one of these, it will be awhile before I actually get to shoot it but my upper has the aurora sights. I just can't spring for the complete lower from cogunsales when I could use that money on ammo or one of my other projects.

Belmont31R
11-11-11, 15:04
SIG USA is like dreaming about having sex with a Victorias Secret model then waking up realizing your just having sex with a blow up doll with a fleshlight duck taped to its belly.

KhanRad
11-11-11, 15:10
SIG USA is like dreaming about having sex with a Victorias Secret model then waking up realizing your just having sex with a blow up doll with a fleshlight duck taped to its belly.

That is sig quality material........haha, "sig quality"...:jester:

HK51Fan
11-11-11, 15:37
I actually had a Limited Edition SG551 which was a 556 with a TRUE Swiss lower. The main problem that remained was sights, Auroras were as good as it got but still left something to be desired.

There is also the well known gas port issue that exists on ANY US SIG upper. This is probably one of the main sources of feed problems encountered on US SIGs.

I was also frustrated by the rail setup, it doesn't mount in the same manner as on a true SIG and it's kinda cheap and vulnerable.

There was no rear sling attachment point on the receiver which means ever sling attaches to a folding buttstock at the rear resulting in a serious contraption. Even the RUssians had a better setup.

And finally I hated the muzzle device. I had to install a Veltor flash hider to be able to use a HALO suppressor. The 556 flash hider may look like a NATO type flash but the barrel profile behind the FH is belled which prevents the mounting of a HALO suppressor. Not surprising they work on genuine SIGs just fine.

The smart money jumped on those factory 552 Cammandos that popped up on the radar about a year ago.

I hear what you're saying Steyr.

To adress a couple of things you stated.

1. there is a sling attachment at the receiver now on the newer sigs

2. SIG updated and redesigned the gas something on the gas port. That was the problem I had with the patrol carbine I sent in. I wish I would have listened to him a bit more when he explained what they were replacing and upgrading to adress this problem, but apparently it is something they are aware of and attempting to fix.

3. The FH and barrel is an issue and I feel it should be addressed. I don't think SIG considered it a priority since there aren't a lot of guy's mounting suppressors on their weapons compared to the general public.

Aurora sights are good sites, I have to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if SIG doesn't offer their SAN 550 series sights for sale in the next year.
The guy I spoke to seemed to "get it". he was the manager of the warranty repair section and told me they were listening to feedback and that the weapons system was evolving due to this feedback. I can't ask for more than that really.

So the lower is CNC machined instead of stamped metal? big deal.

Scottyryan - I'm very aware of your distaste for the platform, I think everyone is aware of your distaste. So instead of beating a dead.....already rotted.....dried up and almost turned to dust horse (since you've been beating so long). Why don't you just hit the refrain button next time you want to post!

Belmont31R
11-11-11, 15:40
As firearm enthusiasts we should be upset a once prestigious brand has been dumbed down to the point they are selling glitterized pistols and junk rifles.

Usually when you see "style" listed in the descriptions of items its Hong Kong knockoffs listed on Ebay.

HK51Fan
11-11-11, 15:48
I couldn't have said it better myself, spot on Steyr.

I sold off my early '07 556 and now just need to get around to sell off my '08 556P that I had hoped to get a tax stamp for.

You have one of the earlier SIG pistols? maybe we could work out a trade or something?

SteyrAUG
11-11-11, 17:02
I hear what you're saying Steyr.

To adress a couple of things you stated.

1. there is a sling attachment at the receiver now on the newer sigs

If it is part of the rail, that isn't a solution. I haven't seen it though.

2. SIG updated and redesigned the gas something on the gas port. That was the problem I had with the patrol carbine I sent in. I wish I would have listened to him a bit more when he explained what they were replacing and upgrading to adress this problem, but apparently it is something they are aware of and attempting to fix.

That it was even an issue in the first place is stunning. How many gas ports have we seen on this forum where both positions are the same size hole? This is the kind of mistake we've come to expect from Century Arms.

3. The FH and barrel is an issue and I feel it should be addressed. I don't think SIG considered it a priority since there aren't a lot of guy's mounting suppressors on their weapons compared to the general public.

It doesn't bother me that they didn't give me a 550 barrel profile. I'd have been happy with a standard barrel (so long as it isn't a M4) and a NATO A2 flash. That they took the time to be unique and still screwed the pooch just shows they aren't making well thought out decisions.

Aurora sights are good sites, I have to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if SIG doesn't offer their SAN 550 series sights for sale in the next year.

Actually I don't think the Auroras are "good", I think they are as good as you can get. They still leave a LOT to be desired when simply compared to M4 options, let alone factory SIG 550 sights. With all the M4 shit they pulled, that they didn't give us a M4 rail and front sight block is just more evidence of incompetence.

The guy I spoke to seemed to "get it". he was the manager of the warranty repair section and told me they were listening to feedback and that the weapons system was evolving due to this feedback. I can't ask for more than that really.

It is obvious they don't "get it." If they got it, they'd be debuting a new rifle and not trying to cobble together a retrofit for their existing piece of crap.

So the lower is CNC machined instead of stamped metal? big deal.

If you think that is the ONLY difference, you haven't been paying close attention.

Now, so we are on the same page, if you understand all this and you still want one because you think it will make a fun recreational rifle then great. Go with god, have some fun, you made an informed decision.

All I'm doing here, because I have the benefit of actually owning several Swiss examples is explaining the difference. That way everyone can make an informed decision.

Please bear in mind I bought a Limited Edition US SG551 thinking, and hoping for, many of the same things you are hoping for. I was later pretty disappointed, so I am just sharing what I learned.

bondmid003
11-11-11, 20:16
Steyr I'm curious when you purchased your genuine SIG's. Did you buy them a long time ago for your collection or were they recent purchases? The only reason I'm asking is we all know you have many fine pieces in your collection but a lot of us can't afford the current prices of genuine Swiss rifles. It seems like every pre-ban 551 on Sturmgewehr is being sold for 5k or more. There doesn't seem to be a genuine affordable option outside the current one for any but the serious collector.

alaskacop
11-11-11, 22:12
Steyr I'm curious when you purchased your genuine SIG's. Did you buy them a long time ago for your collection or were they recent purchases? The only reason I'm asking is we all know you have many fine pieces in your collection but a lot of us can't afford the current prices of genuine Swiss rifles. It seems like every pre-ban 551 on Sturmgewehr is being sold for 5k or more. There doesn't seem to be a genuine affordable option outside the current one for any but the serious collector.

A very true statement. Actual pre-89 551's are about as rare as the white rino and if you look on gunbroker, there is a 550 NIB going for 12K (I have seen them used for 8K). It is a shame because this is something that SIGUSA can fix, if they really wanted to.

SteyrAUG
11-11-11, 22:20

I was not fortunate enough to buy a 550 in 1989 and quite honestly they weren't all that cheap then compared to other firearms. But I didn't pay $15k for my 551 either as my 551 and 552 are both pre86 dealer sample SBRs. This is the ATF designation which restricts them to SOTs ONLY despite the fact that both were imported AFTER 1989 let alone before 1986. So I paid significantly less than the going rate for a pre 89 551 import. But they weren't cheap either, and my PE90 was especially hard to obtain (not many of those in the country).

And I fully appreciate a LOT of people can't afford super rare pre89s and I'm not attempting to criticize those who can't. I'm simply making those people who might consider a 556 as a substitute aware of what they are and are not. This way people can decide if it is actually worth it to them, especially those who may be under the impression that these could be "pre89" equivalents. That is after all what we all hoped for when SIG announced a US 550 series rifle.

HK51Fan
11-12-11, 00:07
I think SIG is seeing the money being spent on these types of weapons in the US and it's only a matter of time before they relent and actually bring a swiss rifle to market. FN and HK have done it.....and I gotta say I thought it would be a cold day in hell before HK brought a decent rifle to the civvie market ever again.
I'm not giving up on them yet.

In response to your statement. yes, I do realize that this is not a serious battle rifle. I have those squared. This is more on the level of a mini 14 or something like that. I have the patrol carbine with the swiss furniture. I've been "told" that the swiss diopter sites will probably be available and priced at discount like the buttstocks in the future. So yeah I'm going to play around with it some and see what I can do with it.
believe me if I could only afford one rifle it wouldn't be this. when I have friends ask me about something like "I'm not comfortable with the way things are going in the world what do you reccomend?"
I tell them to pick up a Colt AR (6920 or whatever) they're reliable and silly cheap right now, or an Arsenal SLR depending on how much maintenance and work they want to put into the weapon.
Buy a thousand rounds of ammo and actually put it through the weapon, and take at least a basic class. Then put the time at least every month to put rounds down range. I also tell them to pull whatever weapon they think they would grab and hold it and "play" around with it. By play I mean work the action, open it up pull it apart, shoulder it. Get used to the feel of the weapon, the weight and balance. If you're one of these guys that only handles his weapon when he goes to the range every 3-6mos then you're probably not going to be very comfortable with it when you need it.

This SIG is a toy to play with. I like the way it looks and would like to get it to the point where I feel confident it will go bang everytime I pull the trigger.
I don't really consider these rifles to be clones, because they are offered for sale on the leo/military market. SIG has been selling the machined lower configuration that is AR mag compatible..so it's not a 551, but it is a SIG. I'm a huge fan of their pistols, although all of mine are german manufactured so I haven't experienced their craptastic versions I hear stories about.

SteyrAUG
11-12-11, 00:50
In response to your statement. yes, I do realize that this is not a serious battle rifle. I have those squared. This is more on the level of a mini 14 or something like that.

This SIG is a toy to play with. I like the way it looks and would like to get it to the point where I feel confident it will go bang everytime I pull the trigger.

And with that, I think we are mostly on the same page. Enjoy your rifle.

scottryan
11-12-11, 11:06
Aurora sights are not that great.

The new bolt on Swiss sights that can be used to retrofit a 556 are better.