PDA

View Full Version : Fake Electronics Increasingly found in Mil Supply Chain

Cincinnatus
11-10-11, 14:44
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/made-in-china-u-s-military-finding-fake-chinese-electronics-in-gear-at-alarming-rate/

QuietShootr
11-10-11, 14:45
We let Chinese nationals into SEAL supply rooms. This surprises you?

Cincinnatus
11-10-11, 14:49
I am never surprised anymore, but am neverthless PO'd.

Belmont31R
11-10-11, 14:59
Remember this when certain people tell you only trinket manufacturing went to china, and the US would still be producing the advanced stuff.

More and more high end stuff is being made there now not just cheap widgets and toys.

Gutshot John
11-10-11, 15:07
Remember this when certain people tell you only trinket manufacturing went to china, and the US would still be producing the advanced stuff.

More and more high end stuff is being made there now not just cheap widgets and toys.

Define high-end...apparently this stuff is not made very well. When the world is looking for quality, technologically advanced, material....they still come to the US.

Belmont31R
11-10-11, 15:26
Define high-end...apparently this stuff is not made very well. When the world is looking for quality, technologically advanced, material....they still come to the US.

Boeing for one has been gradually increasing the number of Chinese made parts used in their planes from once unimportant things to now critical parts of the aircraft they are producing. Things like flaps and stabilizers. In this case chipsets and the like for military planes.

http://www.adsalecmj.com/Publicity/Focus/lang-eng/article-3978/Article.aspx

CarlosDJackal
11-10-11, 15:28
IMHO, the contractors who use such items in military hardware should be prosecuted for Fraud and Treason. There is absolutely no reason for them not to perform the proper QC checks for such components. It's not like their production output is a thousand C-27s or UH-60s a day or something like that. JM2CW.

Ned Christiansen
11-10-11, 18:59
Isn't damned near everything made in China fake? One tries one's damnedest not to buy made in China but sometimes there's no choice. I usually find that whatever it is, looks like the thing it is supposed to be, but is so half-assedly made that it can't do the job. Some of this crap is just good enough to hold itself together on the store shelf. After that-- anything can happen. It's infuriating-- I feel robbed every time it happens, not just by the Chinese but by the American outfits that put their name on it. It's sickening to see old American brands selling Chinese crap that doesn't work.

I'd love to have an annual "send it back" day. Save your fake, busted, non-working Chinese crap and send it to their embassy on a certain date. Did this once and I guess they know the drill, they just wrote "return to sender" on it so I lost the postage, but if they got 4,000 packages in one or two days, well, at least it would be a nuisance.

Belmont31R
11-10-11, 19:01
Isn't damned near everything made in China fake? One tries one's damnedest not to buy made in China but sometimes there's no choice. I usually find that whatever it is, looks like the thing it is supposed to be, but is so half-assedly made that it can't do the job. Some of this crap is just good enough to hold itself together on the store shelf. After that-- anything can happen. It's infuriating-- I feel robbed every time it happens, not just by the Chines but by the American outfits that put their name on it. It's sickening to see old American brands selling Chinese crap that doesn't work.

I'd love to have an annual "send it back" day. Save your fake, busted, non-working Chines crap and send it to their embassy on a certain date. Did this once and I guess they know the drill, they just wrote "return to sender" on it so I lost the postage, but if they got 4,000 packages in one or two days, well, at least it would be a nuisance.

I make a concerted effort to buy American or at least stuff made in a western nation.

If theres no choice then I pick another asian country besides communist China. Id rather support Taiwan or the Phillipines.

Moose-Knuckle
11-10-11, 20:28
We let Chinese nationals into SEAL supply rooms. This surprises you?

Thanks, I just about spit my Arnold Palmer all over my notebook! :D

But hey, at least his pics were cool. :jester:

Ned Christiansen
11-10-11, 23:33
Just about anywhere but China is good with me. It doesn't have to be "made in USA", although that's preferred of course. But made in Taiwan is OK by me since Taiwan is a great big middle finger in China's face. Taiwan is an ally, China, definitely not.

Jellybean
11-10-11, 23:59
Isn't damned near everything made in China fake? One tries one's damnedest not to buy made in China but sometimes there's no choice. I usually find that whatever it is, looks like the thing it is supposed to be, but is so half-assedly made that it can't do the job. Some of this crap is just good enough to hold itself together on the store shelf. After that-- anything can happen. It's infuriating-- I feel robbed every time it happens, not just by the Chinese but by the American outfits that put their name on it. It's sickening to see old American brands selling Chinese crap that doesn't work.
I'd love to have an annual "send it back" day. Save your fake, busted, non-working Chines crap and send it to their embassy on a certain date. Did this once and I guess they know the drill, they just wrote "return to sender" on it so I lost the postage, but if they got 4,000 packages in one or two days, well, at least it would be a nuisance.

Damn- stole the words right out of my brain. Couldn't have said it better.
Great "annual send-it-back day" idea. Although with all this junk flooding in, I think you might have to revise 'annual' to 'monthly' or so. Otherwise I'd be in- I'm sure I can find enough stuff laying around here to fill a nice large package.
It would be interesting to see what kind of response this would generate on a large scale- say instead of 4k packages what about a few million over a couple days.....

Anyway, on topic:
I am not in the least surprised at this popping up again.
A few years back I read an article in a magazine (can't remember which) talking about this EXACT same thing. In fact I think they even had a similar portion about how the chinese recycle the parts. I figured it was a minor hiccup and didn't give it much thought.
Apparently there is some severe mental retardation going on with those in charge for this to have continued- not just for the defective parts, but that we're still [re]purchasing this junk to begin with. Seriously, why? If we can make a drone land on an aircraft carrier, what's the problem with producing some chips?

It seems to me [attach tinfoil now as needed] that A) there's more than one way to fight a war. And B) somebody is apparently hellbent on assf***ing this country and we can't bend over fast enough to let them.

I sense a plot to destroy the Je.... wait wrong story. :jester:

chadbag
11-11-11, 00:07

China can make quality stuff. A lot of chip foundries are in China using the latest processes.

They just usually choose not too because the cost goes up.

Your MacBook was assembled in China (parts from all over).

Environmental laws are one of the things that are pushing hi-tech manufacturing out of the US.

Ned Christiansen
11-11-11, 11:45
A "send it back" day would be good for the economy..... and the Post Office.... except they'd have to bring it there and then send if back when the devious ones said "return to sender". Maybe with enough volume the PO would decline to do that.

Yes, I've had some stuff made in China that was good-- there's no doubt they can do it. I've traded for some Chinese glass that's a good value-- although I can't say I'm overly proud of it.

chadbag
11-11-11, 11:52
Just to clarify my comments.

I am in no way supporting Chinese made stuff. Certain sorts of things you can't avoid but I try and avoid it if at all possible. At Halloween, I even tried to only buy US made candy and avoided Hershey for sending their factories to Mexico. China is no 1 on my avoid list if at all possible.

A chinese maker of weapon mounted lights tried repeatedly to get me interested in his product for my business. I told him off in no uncertain terms. I posted about it here as well. Several years ago.

QuietShootr
11-11-11, 11:58
**** China. I AVOID Chinese products whenever possible, and often if it's not possible, I do without.

Why?

-they make poisonous drugs
-they make poisonous foods
-they steal intellectual property like it's their goddamn job
-the crap they do duplicate is often made out of shitty, toxic materials
And lastly but not least: They're the goddamn enemy!

You guys who support Chinese manufacturing in the least bit, whether for 'profitability' or for affordable products, should know you are directly contributing to the death of the United States. The Chinese damn sure know it.

chadbag
11-11-11, 12:05
**** China. I AVOID Chinese products whenever possible, and often if it's not possible, I do without.

You're posting on M4C which means you probably have a computer, tablet, or smartphone.

You're using something made in China.

QuietShootr
11-11-11, 12:14
You're posting on M4C which means you probably have a computer, tablet, or smartphone.

You're using something made in China.

I know. And I avoid it as much as I can. If I could get a computer with NO chinese components I'd have one.

VooDoo6Actual
11-11-11, 12:46
Along the same tangents

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/16/us-usa-cybersecurity-idUSTRE75F4YG20110616

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/us-finally-acknowledges-chinese-and-russian-cyberthreat/10971

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/new-u-s-intel-report-officially-takes-shots-at-russia-and-china-for-cyber-attacks/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Adg4chwKkM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0pi4J8auQ&feature=player_embedded

Ned Christiansen
11-29-11, 21:45
http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_04vzdsr5/uiconf_id/5590821
A house with not so much as a nail made in China.... in fact all USA-made.... and the numbers don't look so bad. Encouraging stuff.

VooDoo6Actual
11-30-11, 11:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS2PIYPGTAc&feature=player_embedded

BTW, let's say I'm concerned with the amount and controls in place in regards to the Cyber Warfare protocols etc...

So, it would be a mistake to & mischaracterize people as Tin Foil Hat types when they know the system, players, intelligence circles etc...