PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40 Mags and Clicking Sound

SuperiorDG
11-10-11, 15:35
Okay I did the search and found nothing about this. I have several M&P 40 mags, some that came the gun new and 4 others that I bought as factory mags. When I load the mags to 15 rounds they make a clicking sound as if something is loose. Being my main CCW it is kind of loud when I walk around. I have down loaded the mags to 13 rounds and the clicking goes away. this is how I carry now. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks

Animal_Mother556
11-10-11, 16:09
Yup, I have experienced the clicking/rattling before. With various different magazines. XD(M), Sig, etc....

As far as I know it is just an "unsettled" round down in there...that is somehow not under spring pressure. Some people say if you give the mag a good hit on the baseplate it will settle the round and the rattle will stop. I have never tried this.

Others have said that if you do the "tap tap" on your palm to seat all the rounds against the back of the mag it seems to help. I always to the "tap tap" thingy out of habit. I have never had it stop the rattling.

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying for a CCW piece. It sucks that you have to download a pistol magazine. Even though it is "high capacity".

Edit -- I should add that I have never had this "rattle" effect anything. Magazines that rattle (in my experience) work fine.

TriumphRat675
11-10-11, 16:15
Normal. Or at least within the acceptable range of normality. So your pistol won't spontaneously disassemble, is what I'm getting at.

Some mags seem more prone to it and some less. All function, in my experience.

Animal Mother's remedies generally do the trick.

SuperiorDG
11-10-11, 17:39
Thanks for the help folks. Hit the base plate and it solves the problem. I feel so much better now. BTW I have never had a problem other then the clicking. Ran this gun in a class and put 1200 round through it in one day without a problem.

Animal_Mother556
11-10-11, 18:02
Yeah, I have never heard of this causing any issues as far as function. It's just an annoyance...especially when you're trying to be a sneaky-snake.

Glad we could help ya, bud!

jck397
11-10-11, 18:43
I have the same thing with my M&P .40. Somehow one of the top few rounds has found a gap where it's loose and can slide back and forth making that clicking noise. I've had it happen with other guns, too, but usually a tap to the baseplate or popping the first few rounds out and reloading them fixes the problem, but for whatever reason this magazine keeps doing it. I haven't noticed it as a problem when carrying, though.

habibi
12-09-11, 21:23
I recently purchased a VTAC .40 that's doing the same thing with both of the mags. I've given it the "tap" on the bottom of the base plate and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. :confused: Does anyone know how to fix that or is that something that I'll have to get used to?

Animal_Mother556
12-10-11, 07:43
I recently purchased a VTAC .40 that's doing the same thing with both of the mags. I've given it the "tap" on the bottom of the base plate and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. :confused: Does anyone know how to fix that or is that something that I'll have to get used to?

I don't really know that there is any "fixing" to do, as nothing is really broken. It is normal for some high capacity pistol magazines to do this. Buy some more mags and try 'em. Or...hit the baseplate a little harder. I would recommend hitting the baseplate against something hard (shooting bench) instead of your palm or something.

Nephrology
12-10-11, 08:13
Glock mags occasionally do this as well and I have never noticed a correlation between the rattling and a failure to function acceptably.

habibi
12-12-11, 13:41
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll give the "tap" a try again using a harder surface this weekend.

habibi
12-12-11, 14:10
Oh and sorry SuperiorDG I didn't mean to high jack your thread I figured I'd ask here instead of starting a new thread.