PDA

View Full Version : Fake Cop Steals Gun From Motorist...

SteyrAUG
11-10-11, 17:10
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45240914/

"Police say the fake cop, driving a black Chevrolet Corvette with red and blue visor lights, pulled over 29-year-old Jorge Benitez and 25-year-old Ricardo Moreno.

The impersonator took one of the men's firearms and fled the scene."

I think I'd have told the "officer" that I prefer to wait for a marked unit before handing over my CCW.

Redmanfms
11-10-11, 21:23
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45240914/

"Police say the fake cop, driving a black Chevrolet Corvette with red and blue visor lights, pulled over 29-year-old Jorge Benitez and 25-year-old Ricardo Moreno.

The impersonator took one of the men's firearms and fled the scene."

I think I'd have told the "officer" that I prefer to wait for a marked unit before handing over my CCW.

I won't stop for unmarked units.

usmcvet
11-11-11, 15:23
Do you wait for the stinger spikes?

Zhurdan
11-11-11, 16:09
Not certain, but hopefully an LEO can verify... I've been told that as long as you are not actively trying to flee, as in maintain the speed limit and use signals, just turn your flashers on while you verify that it is indeed a police unit who's pulling you over.

SteyrAUG
11-11-11, 16:38
Not certain, but hopefully an LEO can verify... I've been told that as long as you are not actively trying to flee, as in maintain the speed limit and use signals, just turn your flashers on while you verify that it is indeed a police unit who's pulling you over.

Something tells me if your car matches the description of one leaving the scene of a serious problem, such things are not going to work. If you got blue lights, I'm pulling over. As soon as we talk I'm going to ask for a marked unit, if you are a real cop you will understand why and have no problems because I will keep my hands on the wheel while we wait.

Belmont31R
11-11-11, 16:46
Something tells me if your car matches the description of one leaving the scene of a serious problem, such things are not going to work. If you got blue lights, I'm pulling over. As soon as we talk I'm going to ask for a marked unit, if you are a real cop you will understand why and have no problems because I will keep my hands on the wheel while we wait.

At night it would be near impossible to tell.

I once got pulled over 4 times in less than an hour by Texas DPS for a broken tail light (by the last guy I asked him to radio ahead to tell his fellow troopers Id already been pulled over 4x).

Anyways the lights are so bright behind you, and the fact they stand at an odd angle to the window you barely know who you are dealing with. You have to crank your head around so far just to see them then they have a flash light in your eyes.

Understand its for their safety and all but all 4 times you could not have asked me to ID the officer or what kind of car they were driving.

ST911
11-11-11, 20:14
When in doubt about the identity of a vehicle trying to stop you:

Slow down
Activate your flashers, signaling your acknowledgement of the other other vehicle
Call 911 to report what is happening
Request verifications/instructions from the dispatcher, and state your intent to comply...immediately...with subsequent instructions
Pull into the next well-lit, populated location and stop with your dome light on
Follow every instruction, to the letter, when it is given

You may annoy the stopping officer, but most will understand. They key is to avoid any appearance of ill intent.

Slick-top, alternative vehicles, and unmarked patrol vehicles are common in many places. Telling the legit from the less so at night, especially when the e-lights are lit, can be a challenge.

When the ID of an individual officer is in question, be sure to ask for his/her ID card, not just a badge. You may also ask for a supervisor, other uniformed officers, or an outside agency.

one
11-12-11, 01:14
I won't stop for unmarked units.

How do you tell if it's a marked vehicle or not if it drives up behind you?