PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide....help

jet80tv
11-11-11, 08:46
I want another carbine!;) I have a full rifle length system that I purchased and a carbine I built completely previously. I have had a spare stripped lower that recently put an lpk into now I want a complete upper.
I'm not looking for assistance in deciding on the brand and or model. I am looking for assistance on gasport location. I do not really want to build this upper, I want OEM. I can't decide between midlength or carbine gas system. It seems as though the midlength is a popular system and one I have no experience with. The carbine I built has been problem free. From what I've seen on this forum it seems like most of the problems that occur with various members guns regardless of what the prob is occur with midlength guns. It seems as the ones with middies are always asking about what they can change or upgrade to make it run better, is this due to the number of middies in use compared to carbine or is it something with this system?
Ive often wondered if the middy was a gimmick by manufacturers to sell more guns after all(as everyone says)if it ain't broke why fix it? I would like something softer shooting for my girl if the middy is noticeably softer and as far as parts wear is there a measurable difference? I was looking to get a 16" middy. Any thoughts, opinions and suggestions, thanks in advance.

johnson
11-11-11, 08:52
Exactly how many threads have you read comparing the two?

jet80tv
11-11-11, 09:04
I've read some comparison threads, I'm not saying the carbine is better as I don't know but it just seems most posts about guns with problems are with middy guns, why is that?

johnson
11-11-11, 09:22
What problems?

jet80tv
11-11-11, 09:31
Issues with feeding and extraction, bolt locking back, seems as though guys are always looking for just the right combo of action springs and buffers etc. it may just be that most people are running middies as I'm sure problems occur with carbine systems as well I just don't see it come up much and I haven't had problems with mine either. It just seemed to me that the middy was...finnicky? But I do not know from first hand experience.

Iraqgunz
11-11-11, 09:57
Carbine v. Midlength has been discussed numerous times. People have problems with all of the above because they dick with them without knowing why they are doing it or how.