PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 for LE only????

white spaniard
11-25-07, 14:11
Hi everyone my wife tried to buy me a Clot AR rifle yesterday as an early Christmas/surprise gift and gunstore employee told her that Colt is for LE and Military only and not for civilian use this is not true or is it?

Robb Jensen
11-25-07, 14:14
Civilians can own them as long as 'assault type rifles' aren't banned in your state.

That's just gun shop BS so they can sell you whatever they happen to have in stock instead of ordering or transferring one to you. Check with www.gandrtactical.com I think they have some 6920s in stock.

Beat Trash
11-25-07, 14:25
The last gun show I went to in Dayton Ohio, a dealer had one NIB for $1,250 plus tax. Colt would prefer they be restricted to Mil/LE sales only, but legally, same restrictions in your state as any other AR15.

Failure2Stop
11-25-07, 14:31
Colt would prefer they be restricted to Mil/LE sales only. . .

Why would you say that?

This is in direct contradiction to what Gen William Keys (CEO Colt Defense) has said. They are pretty busy with government contracts, and they prioritize them over civilian sales, but in no way do they have any intention or interest in restricting their civilian market share.

white spaniard
11-25-07, 14:34
Civilians can own them as long as 'assault type rifles' aren't banned in your state.

That's just gun shop BS so they can sell you whatever they happen to have in stock instead of ordering or transferring one to you. Check with www.gandrtactical.com I think they have some 6920s in stock.

They had 1 in stock for 1,300.00 but would not sell it to her, they suggested a Sig 556 or a Bushmaster piston type of AR, don't know how much the Sig of Bushmaster were though.

Robb Jensen
11-25-07, 14:35
They had 1 in stock for 1,300.00 but would not sell it to her, they suggested a Sig 556 or a Bushmaster piston type of AR, don't know how much the Sig of Bushmaster were though.

You need to find another dealer quick.

AMMOTECH
11-25-07, 15:26
You need to find another dealer quick.

+1 Run; don't walk to someplace else.

They saw a female standing there and thought that they could get more $$$ from her.:mad:
I'm glad that she did not take the bait.

Renegade
11-25-07, 16:18
These stories of customers with money in hand wanting to buy guns and gun stores not taking it continue to amaze me.

KevinB
11-25-07, 16:57

Translation - they tried to get her to buy a chunk of crap for you and save the Colt...

Ditto to the other comments about run (dont walk) to find a new dealer.

C4IGrant
11-25-07, 17:07
This is sad. We have 6920's in stock and will sell you one.

C4

variablebinary
11-25-07, 17:52
Bringing home a SIG 556 instead of a Colt is grounds for divorce. Plenty of dealers willing to sell you a Colt out there. There is no issue with a civilian owning Colt products provided there is no local law ban in place

I own a couple of Colts, all purchased in the last couple of years, all Mil/LEO marked. They are great weapons

Don Robison
11-25-07, 18:15
Just because I'm an asshole if that shop does FFL transfers I'd order one from Grant have it shipped to them so they could see they missed the sale and profit.

jackinfl
11-25-07, 18:58
Just because I'm an asshole if that shop does FFL transfers I'd order one from Grant have it shipped to them so they could see they missed the sale and profit.

Check with them first to find out what they charge to do the transfer, THEN order from Grant, you won't be disappointed!

R1pper
11-25-07, 19:20
my wife tried to buy me a Colt AR rifle yesterday

Cherish her, you have found one of he few. O yeah does she have any sisters like her :D

Beat Trash
11-25-07, 19:33
Why would you say that?

This is in direct contradiction to what Gen William Keys (CEO Colt Defense) has said. They are pretty busy with government contracts, and they prioritize them over civilian sales, but in no way do they have any intention or interest in restricting their civilian market share.

This is information I received when I called Colt Defense LLC sales department reference the last 6920 I wanted to purchased. Colt has split into two different companies, one handling civilian sales, the other has LE and Mil sales. Colt Defense LLC wants the 6920's and the 6520's to go to LE stocking dealers, end user to submit a letterhead for purchase. This was in the Spring of 2006. Might have changed their policies by now.

When I went to purchase this carbine, the only difference my LE ID made was to get a price break.

The last gun show I went to (about 6 weeks ago) a dealer had a NIB 6920 for sale for $1250. With sales tax, it would have been about $150 more than I purchased mine for.

Jim D
11-25-07, 19:39
Just be aware that they'll probably try and hit you for more money as it's a gun they have in stock.

The store I work at charges $35 for in-store transfers, or hard to get/ used gun shipped in transfers....We typically charge $50 for the transfer if it's a gun we have in stock, or can readily get.

Being that they tried to push their stale inventory on you, rather than give you what you asked for...why put ANY money in their pocket? I'd bring it in, show them the rifle you HAD to buy elsewhere, and ask them what caliber brush you need for it.

white spaniard
11-25-07, 22:16
This is sad. We have 6920's in stock and will sell you one.

C4
what info do I need to have it shipped to a gunstore?

kingc
11-25-07, 23:43

I'm sure Grant will be back soon with his answer.
You should find an FFL in your area that will receive the 6920 from Grant. Find out what the dealer's fee will be for him to handle the transfer for you. You will contact Grant, and arrange to pay him directly for the Colt. Grant will give you his business name and address, his voice and fax phone numbers and you will give that info to your selected FFL. Your FFL will contact Grant on your behalf, and arrange to swap FFL information and to have your rifle shipped to his address.
In the interim, you will fill out the ATF form 4473, and jump through any other hoops required in your locale at your FFL's location.

When your rifle arrives, your FFL will contact you and have you come in to inspect and receive it. Ensure that all is complete. You should have the complete carbine and a taped-up accessory pack in clear plastic. It should include 2 mags, GI cleaning rod, bore brush, chamber/ext brush, black sling, instruction manual, and warranty cards.

Also, in most cases, since you purchased the item out of your state, the FFL should not expect to collect sales tax from you. Some ill-informed dealer's try to do that on internet transfers. All you should pay is the transfer fee and whatever your state government requires for the background check, etc.

williejc
11-26-07, 00:18
Hi everyone my wife tried to buy me a Clot AR rifle yesterday as an early Christmas/surprise gift and gunstore employee told her that Colt is for LE and Military only and not for civilian use this is not true or is it?

This dealer may be a dumbass and is laboring under mis-information.

I don't know a gun dealer who would pass up this sale, unless he was some sort of le equipment dealer who feared getting in trouble with his distributor after having signed some sort of agreement(not a legal one).

Here my guess is that he's dumb.

Williejc

Jim D
11-26-07, 00:23
I'm sure Grant will be back soon with his answer.
You should find an FFL in your area that will receive the 6920 from Grant. Find out what the dealer's fee will be for him to handle the transfer for you. You will contact Grant, and arrange to pay him directly for the Colt. Grant will give you his business name and address, his voice and fax phone numbers and you will give that info to your selected FFL. Your FFL will contact Grant on your behalf, and arrange to swap FFL information and to have your rifle shipped to his address.
In the interim, you will fill out the ATF form 4473....
:confused:

Um, get the price for the transfer fee, let me know if you're gonna do it, then give your local dealer's fax and voice #'s to wherever you're buying from. The shipper should take care of the rest (FFL exchanging, providing customer info to receiving FFL holder).

The receiving FFL holder will call you when it's in, you'll do a 4473 *then*, and pay the agreed transfer charge.

C4IGrant
11-26-07, 08:12

Just a copy of their FFL that they can either fax or E-mail to us.

C4

white spaniard
11-26-07, 11:59
This dealer may be a dumbass and is laboring under mis-information.

I don't know a gun dealer who would pass up this sale, unless he was some sort of le equipment dealer who feared getting in trouble with his distributor after having signed some sort of agreement(not a legal one).

Here my guess is that he's dumb.

Williejc

Spoke with manager/owner about the situation my wife had Saturday in his store about the Colt AR rifle he had not herd of any new law like that and wanted my phone # so he can call me later, he checked with his employees that worked that day and found out that the employee that probably helped my wife bought the rifle for himself, and regrettably that was the only one he had in stock:mad: . He will try and get the rifle back from his ex-employee if he has not shot it already.

Wayne G.
11-26-07, 12:39
ex-employee
Rightfully so.

ddemis
11-26-07, 13:45
I can't tell you how many times I have overheard a dealer tell a buyer that Colt dosen't like to sell to civis, mil/leo only. If this unwritten policy changed,great get one from grant. But I still hear plenty of dealers telling people about the "restriction". Going to a gun show this month so I will ask some local dealers and friends if Colt has changed their "policy".

ddemis
11-26-07, 13:56
That story about the Ex-employee is unbeliveable. I would tell that guy where to put his new Colt( where the sun does not shine) and demand some good service from the gun shop and possible get your new toy ready for the Cristmas Tree!

TWR
11-26-07, 17:33
The problem is most dealers won't or can't get a LE package from folks such as Colt or even Remington. So they lay the blame on the companies instead of themselves. Not just any FFL can call up Remington and order an LTR, they have to be a LE dealer yet you don't hear this crap about Remington being against civilian sales.

Voodoochild
11-26-07, 18:05
Spoke with manager/owner about the situation my wife had Saturday in his store about the Colt AR rifle he had not herd of any new law like that and wanted my phone # so he can call me later, he checked with his employees that worked that day and found out that the employee that probably helped my wife bought the rifle for himself, and regrettably that was the only one he had in stock:mad: . He will try and get the rifle back from his ex-employee if he has not shot it already.

Screw that man pick up the phone and call Grant. He will get you one ASAP and with out all the BS. He will square you away with the quickness.

ETA: That POS shop boy should be fired for telling lies just to keep something for himself.

kingc
11-26-07, 21:11
:confused:

Um, get the price for the transfer fee, let me know if you're gonna do it, then give your local dealer's fax and voice #'s to wherever you're buying from. The shipper should take care of the rest (FFL exchanging, providing customer info to receiving FFL holder).

The receiving FFL holder will call you when it's in, you'll do a 4473 *then*, and pay the agreed transfer charge.

You're so easy

Jim D
11-26-07, 21:17
I'm sure it always works this smooth

Does for me when I tell my customers to do it.