PDA

View Full Version : ever have accuracy issues after installing a battle comp?

kenndapp
11-11-11, 11:33
i installed a battlecomp 2.0 and have not been able to replicate the accuracy i was getting on my riffle before i installed it. it is installed and timed correctly.....i have checked many times. this thing is solid, even, and square on the end of my muzzle. any one ever have a issues when using battle comps? it has opened my groups up by inches @ 50 and 100 yards using the same ammo and riffle that was getting significantly smaller groups before the installation of the battlecomp.

wahoo95
11-11-11, 12:10
Any chance you may have over torqued the barrel on install? Are there any signs of bullet strikes on the BC?

seb5
11-11-11, 12:17
I have 6 between the 1.0's and 1.5's. The only one that was effected was my precision Noveske Recon. What I noticed was that I would shoot several sub MOA groups, and then a much larger group. This is on occasion only but occurred often enough that I filed it away as a hmmm thing. When I put an A-2 on the Noveske the odd ball groups disappeared with the exception of when I screw up. On my other carbines where the lack of precision is not really an issue I haven't noticed much change at 25, 50, or 100 yards when occasionally shooting for groups. I cannot say that this is/was an issue but I've spoken with other shooters that have noticed this phenonenom as well. So..........there might be something to it, maybe not. I have wondered after observing an occasional brigher flash (carbon being blown out? ) signature is this could contribute to the inconsistency.

kenndapp
11-11-11, 12:54
Any chance you may have over torqued the barrel on install? Are there any signs of bullet strikes on the BC?

nope. installed perfectly. steve at adco installed it a second time when the barrel was chopped and pinned. i told him to check every thing out and make sure its perfect. he said he did. i trust him.

Clobbersauras
11-11-11, 12:57
the barrel was chopped

I'd check to make sure the crown is done correctly. Even the best smiths can do a bad job here and there.

kenndapp
11-11-11, 13:00
I have 6 between the 1.0's and 1.5's. The only one that was effected was my precision Noveske Recon. What I noticed was that I would shoot several sub MOA groups, and then a much larger group. This is on occasion only but occurred often enough that I filed it away as a hmmm thing. When I put an A-2 on the Noveske the odd ball groups disappeared with the exception of when I screw up. On my other carbines where the lack of precision is not really an issue I haven't noticed much change at 25, 50, or 100 yards when occasionally shooting for groups. I cannot say that this is/was an issue but I've spoken with other shooters that have noticed this phenonenom as well. So..........there might be something to it, maybe not. I have wondered after observing an occasional brigher flash (carbon being blown out? ) signature is this could contribute to the inconsistency.

this has been my experience too, but i think mine might be a little more severe than yours. i am lucky to get a 4" group at 50 yards, and that when im realy trying. i dont know maybe my marksmanship fundamentals have gone out the window with my frustrations. i have to get back to the range and really concentrate on doing my job so the riffle can show me whats really going on. but as of right now im going to go ahead and say my accuracy is horrible with my battle comp. barrel is a 14.5 bcm chf cl 1/7 .

Iraqgunz
11-11-11, 13:02
Did it occur to you that the problem came about after the barrel was chopped? ADCO does a lot of work and they have also made mistakes.

this has been my experience too, but i think mine might be a little more severe than yours. i am lucky to get a 4" group at 50 yards, and that when im realy trying. i dont know maybe my marksmanship fundamentals have gone out the window with my frustrations. i have to get back to the range and really concentrate on doing my job so the riffle can show me whats really going on. but as of right now im going to go ahead and say my accuracy is horrible with my battle comp. barrel is a 14.5 bcm chf cl 1/7 .

kenndapp
11-11-11, 14:01
Did it occur to you that the problem came about after the barrel was chopped? ADCO does a lot of work and they have also made mistakes.

nope. accuracy problems were identical before and after adco.

Iraqgunz
11-11-11, 14:42
Take it off and put the original back on. Then shoot again. If you are using a crush washer I don't know how it can really be overtorqued.

C4IGrant
11-11-11, 14:46
I am a firm believer that to much tension on the end of the barrel has a NEGATIVE affect on accuracy (no matter who made the FS, MB or adaptor). This is why it is is important to use washers to time it properly.

C4

kenndapp
11-11-11, 14:48
i assure you it is timed and installed properly.

C4IGrant
11-11-11, 14:50
i assure you it is timed and installed properly.

Remember that you can time it and STILL use too much torque. So my first guess is that you have too much pressure. Install it with about 20LBS of pressure and see what it does.

C4

Iraqgunz
11-11-11, 14:54
Grant,

I just realized that he had the barrel chopped and pinned so unfortunately it looks as if he is screwed.

I would have thought that after doing a chop and pin job they would have test fired it.

Iraqgunz
11-11-11, 15:02
So what do you want us to say? There are many of hundreds of Battle Comps being used and they seem fine.

In any case you are going to have to contact ADCO since the barrel has been chopped and pinned.

nope. installed perfectly. steve at adco installed it a second time when the barrel was chopped and pinned. i told him to check every thing out and make sure its perfect. he said he did. i trust him.

Belmont31R
11-11-11, 15:08
nope. accuracy problems were identical before and after adco.

Why would you spend all that money at ADCO when you were having problems BEFORE the chop job? Were you under the impression it would come back shooting good when it wasn't before?

Did you do any testing with the parts before sending it off? Like 4-5 10 shot groups with a regular A2 and then 4-5 groups with the BC?

Before pinning did you contact BC with your concerns?

Seems like some prior testing and communication could have avoided this...

kenndapp
11-11-11, 16:09
Why would you spend all that money at ADCO when you were having problems BEFORE the chop job? Were you under the impression it would come back shooting good when it wasn't before?

Did you do any testing with the parts before sending it off? Like 4-5 10 shot groups with a regular A2 and then 4-5 groups with the BC?

Before pinning did you contact BC with your concerns?

Seems like some prior testing and communication could have avoided this...

I told adco exactly what was going on and that I suspected poor instalation and sloppy timing instructed them to properly install, time, and test fire. They said "okay" . I did my part. Maybe thier definition of accuracy differs from mine.

Belmont31R
11-11-11, 16:15
I think you should have resolved the issue prior to shipping it to them rather than assuming what the problem was. Now you still have the same problem except worsened by the fact you have a welded muzzle device on there now.

As to how to move on from here I would cut my losses and take the BC off. Try something else.

C4IGrant
11-11-11, 16:15
I told adco exactly what was going on and that I suspected poor instalation and sloppy timing instructed them to properly install, time, and test fire. They said "okay" . I did my part. Maybe thier definition of accuracy differs from mine.

As someone that builds guns for other people, "test firing" has zero to do with shooting for accuracy (FYI).

Very few to any gun smiths will shoot a gun for accuracy UNLESS the customer pays for it. This can be quite expensive process. So if you did not pay for this service, then you did not get it.

C4

kenndapp
11-11-11, 18:41
I specified to test for accuracy and informed them in detail why. Tough crowd here. Just wanted to know if this was a common problem with a bc.

C4IGrant
11-11-11, 19:31
I specified to test for accuracy and informed them in detail why. Tough crowd here. Just wanted to know if this was a common problem with a bc.

Really? What was the test? What price did they quote you to do said test? How many rounds were requested and what was the ammo to be used??

C4

kenndapp
11-11-11, 22:26
No clue. I asked for the accuracy problem to be investigated and corrected. I was told "okay"

snappy
11-11-11, 23:05
Did you try a variety of ammo to see if there was any difference kenndapp? Cheap ammo can be inconsistent and if you are shooting cheap stuff it could be a factor as well. You didn't mention what type and how many rounds you had through your rifle before and after the BC install.

I've got 2 BC's, (1.0 on a 16" carbine and 1.5 on a 14.5" middy pinned by Adco), so my experience is limited to that. Had several thousand rounds through the carbine before installing the BC. It shot very accurately both before and after the install, so no change there.

The middy has worn it's BC from birth so I can't speak to any changes before and after the install. What I can tell you is that it shoots pretty inconsistently with 55gr Brown Bear fmj, yet shoots quite well with everything else I've put through it, including 62 gr BB hp. The lot of 55gr BB that I had would keyhole every 5-10 rounds, and I'm talking like turning 45+ degrees sideways inside of 10 meters! That load was just weird in my build but others seem to shoot fine. Have you tried different loads to see if there is a change in consistency?

Iraqgunz
11-11-11, 23:37
Question was asked and has been answered. Contact ADCO again and explain what the issue is. Send them the upper and have them remove the BC and reinstall something else. This means you will have to cut your losses.