PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Marksmanship: Looking for Some Pointers

Fr0gger
11-11-11, 15:20
Hello all,

First off, allow me to introduce myself: I am an undergraduate mechanical engineering student in Indiana that is interested in getting into shooting. I have been perusing this site for quite some time now, learning what I can from people more experienced than myself. Now that I have a .22, ammo, and hearing protection, I am in the position to get started.

I understand that there are classes out there that I could take to help me, but with my coursework I do not have the time to set aside to attend one. Even with the search button and the wealth of knowledge on the site, I still haven't been able to determine exactly where I should begin.

My goal first and foremost is to develop good marksmanship and work my way up from there. Being that many of you have been shooting for years, is there anything in particular that you recommended I do to get started? Anything that you wish you would have known? I am aiming to avoid the development of bad habits and make the most out of my practice.

Big Wall
11-11-11, 16:59
Dryfire or attend the 1st day of an appleseed shoot where they will teach you the basics of shooting.

n517rv
11-11-11, 21:07
Dryfire or attend the 1st day of an appleseed shoot where they will teach you the basics of shooting.

+1 on the Appleseed shoot.

See http://www.appleseedinfo.org for more info.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

Outlaw621
12-03-11, 02:14
Try to take a beginners course or at least attend an appleseed shoot. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Its best to ask questions and shoot safely and correctly than be to embarrassed and injured. Remember, if something sounds like a stupid idea with a firearm it usually is.

durus5995
12-04-11, 03:05
If you are going to be dry firing make sure you get some snap caps for your .22 rifle. I was in your place only a few years ago and one thing that would of helped me is having a training or shooting partner and make sure that they know and practice fire arms safety. That way if they catch you doing some questionable stuff they can point it out right away.

afff_667
12-06-11, 09:54
Any comments on using an AR in a Project Appleseed course? I've got a nephew that's interested in learning to shoot, and I was thinking about accompanying him at a local weekend course.

Big Wall
12-06-11, 17:51
Any comments on using an AR in a Project Appleseed course? I've got a nephew that's interested in learning to shoot, and I was thinking about accompanying him at a local weekend course.

No problems taking an AR to an Appleseed. There have been many at the ones I have attended.

rickp
12-06-11, 18:01
Above all, make sure whom ever you get your information from knows what he's talking about.

See out a reputable instructor and take a basic class. It will be the best thing you can do for yourself and your goals.

Gatorbait
12-06-11, 21:11

IMHO, Appleseeds are the best value for the money for learning basic marksmanship. I don't think there is an instructor out there that would NOT think or appreciate a student shooting an Appleseed before taking their class. Building good fundamentals is crucial for developing more advanced skills. Qualifying on a A.Q.T. for a riflemen's patch is not easy, and I have yet to see someone luck into it, or force it, without getting the zen of the NPOA. I have seen many think and say that they can, but it's a different story when they get to the line. Your rifle, your sling, and you. No bi-pods, no bracing, no bench rests, only the ground.......

I think one of the best qualities of the Appleseeds are the "run what ya' brung" part. I have been to a couple of them now, and seen a variety of rifles. The instructors have always been knowledgable and extremly helpful. And yes, AR-15's are great to take......I had mine on the line last weekend and got my patch, using good ol' Wolf WPA:
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/clastac/DSC_0451.jpg?t=1323226841

Cheers