PDA

View Full Version : First Bolt Gun

drck1000
11-11-11, 22:59
Happy Veterans Day all! A very special THANK YOU to all who are serving, have served or support those who serve this great nation! Hope you are all having an enjoyable Veterans Day holiday!!!

My bolt gun finally came in this week. It's a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD. I ordered it almost 5 weeks ago and it finally arrived this week. Since this is my first bolt gun, I don't really have much to compare it to, but the stock X-Mark feels quite crisp to me. The manual says that it's supposed to be 3.5 lbs out of the box. I may just be used to the stock trigger on my AR and pistols, but this feels much crisper than all of those.

A scope with mount/base and rings are next. I'm going with the Viper PST FFP scope. Scott at Liberty Optics doesn't have it in stock at the moment and he hopes to get them back in stock in about a month. That actually may be a good thing because it will give me a little more time to save up and I probably won't have much time to hit the range in the next couple months. But who knows, I may get weak and get a scope just to get it up and running. Thinking a Millet TR-1, Viper, Nikon Buckmaster/Monarch, or other scope in that price range.

For mount/base and rings, I'm thinking of going with TPS for both. They seem to get pretty good reviews and are moderately priced. I'm also looking at Seekins mounts and rings, Burris XT rings, EGW mounts, among others. There are so many to choose from!

Once I get scope and get it mounted, I'll probably just get a bunch of ammo and maybe a Harris bipod and shoot it for a while before seeing if I want to upgrade any components. I've heard that the Hogue stock isn't very good, so that may be first on the list.

Anyways, here's a pic with an Uncle Mikes rifle bag.

Thank you for all the feedback and advice along the way!

Dave L.
11-12-11, 00:02
Nice first gun. Check out the NightForce LW Rings and their 20 MOA base. I wouldn't go cheap on rings and base if you are buying a budget scope.
I usually get the best accuracy from Federal Gold Medal Match as far as off the shelf ammo is concerned.
Don't waste money on a bipod, shoot off a bag. Get or make a sand sock (aka: rock sack, rock sock, sand sock, or nut sack).
Blue Loctite all of your mount/ring screws and do not over tighten; you may warp/torque the tube on those cheaper scopes.
Check to make sure the barrel is floated. The Hogue stock shouldn't cause too much of a POI shift at first.
I would honestly put my money on glass/rings/mount before I touch a new stock.

sgtbutt
11-12-11, 00:48
My bolt 308 is an SPS-Tactical. The only difference between the models is that yours is threaded and has a slightly different color Hogue stock.
The first thing I did with mine was swap out the stock. Not that the Hogue is a bad stock, I just knew I was going to Duracoat mine and the Hogue isn't condusive to painting. I bought an HS take off from a Rem 700 VS. I have since bedded and textured the stock and it made a noticable difference.
For rings and bases I bought Leupy MK4 pic rail base and Med Rings. I'm running a MK4 3.5-10x40 M3 scope. It is the same set up I have on my wife's VTR. The reason behind this is both have 20 inch worth of rifling at a 1 in 10 twist. For hunting applications it seemed right as I could range and just tell her how much dope to dial in.
Check out Larue bases as well, they're not bad at all for the price.
Now I guess the biggest question, are you getting a can? If so which are you going to go with.

drck1000
11-13-11, 03:29
Nice first gun. Check out the NightForce LW Rings and their 20 MOA base. I wouldn't go cheap on rings and base if you are buying a budget scope.
I usually get the best accuracy from Federal Gold Medal Match as far as off the shelf ammo is concerned.
Don't waste money on a bipod, shoot off a bag. Get or make a sand sock (aka: rock sack, rock sock, sand sock, or nut sack).
Blue Loctite all of your mount/ring screws and do not over tighten; you may warp/torque the tube on those cheaper scopes.
Check to make sure the barrel is floated. The Hogue stock shouldn't cause too much of a POI shift at first.
I would honestly put my money on glass/rings/mount before I touch a new stock.

Yep. I'm definitely going to get a good scope, rings and mount before I mess with the stock. If I get weak and end up going with a budget scope, I am now thinking of going with a quality base and rings and and hope that the budget scope and my target scopes have the same tube diameter.

I already have a short front bag, but I need to get a rear bag. I may also just get a good front rest since the front bag that I do have was pretty cheap and is already breaking down.

Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr goes for about $279/200 locally. I'll be shopping around for good deals online, but the shipping to Hawaii is ridiculous, if they even offer shipping over here.

drck1000
11-13-11, 03:36
My bolt 308 is an SPS-Tactical. The only difference between the models is that yours is threaded and has a slightly different color Hogue stock.
The first thing I did with mine was swap out the stock. Not that the Hogue is a bad stock, I just knew I was going to Duracoat mine and the Hogue isn't condusive to painting. I bought an HS take off from a Rem 700 VS. I have since bedded and textured the stock and it made a noticable difference.
For rings and bases I bought Leupy MK4 pic rail base and Med Rings. I'm running a MK4 3.5-10x40 M3 scope. It is the same set up I have on my wife's VTR. The reason behind this is both have 20 inch worth of rifling at a 1 in 10 twist. For hunting applications it seemed right as I could range and just tell her how much dope to dial in.
Check out Larue bases as well, they're not bad at all for the price.
Now I guess the biggest question, are you getting a can? If so which are you going to go with.

What distances do you typically shoot with the MK4 3.5-10x40?

No plans for a can. They aren't allowed here. Maybe eventually I'll try some sort of muzzle device. The AAC-SD version was going for about the same price as the "standard" non-threaded SPS Tactical version, so I decided to go with the AAC-SD to allow for options for muzzle devices.

rickp
11-13-11, 08:41
go with good glass, rings and base first if you have to stagger your buys.

I agree with most of what was said except the bipod. Get a bipod, you don't have to get an Atlas but a Harris for $70.00 will do. What... are you going to do carry a bag everywhere you go to support the front of the rifle???:confused::confused:
Also, bipods some times help you shoot in alternate positions, they're not for just shooting prone.

The next thing I would do is look at a good fully adjustable stock. something that allows you to change LOP and Comb height. This will let you adjust the stock for YOU.

Lastly, attend a good school like Rifles Only and really learn how to run it, educate yourself and get the info straight from professionals that do it or have done it.

R.

ForTehNguyen
11-13-11, 09:20
youll need to select a scope before buying scope rings depending on the objective lens diameter. Most likely though youll be using low height rings. I have a 6-24x50mm Bushnell Tactical Elite scope and I have to use mediums. It its a 40mm or so objective, low rings will work fine. I use an EGW 20 MOA scope base.

If you want to do a proper install and do it yourself, should purchase a Wheeler scope mounting kit. Has all the hardware to property lap rings, align, and torque screws down to proper spec. You can use these for any future builds as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mounting-Combo-1-Inch/dp/B002PQKGSI

this tool for reticle leveling is much better than the one in the above kit
http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Pro-Reticle-Leveling-System/dp/B005EWUF22/ref=sr_1_23?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1321197751&sr=1-23

drck1000
11-14-11, 01:27
go with good glass, rings and base first if you have to stagger your buys.

I agree with most of what was said except the bipod. Get a bipod, you don't have to get an Atlas but a Harris for $70.00 will do. What... are you going to do carry a bag everywhere you go to support the front of the rifle???:confused::confused:
Also, bipods some times help you shoot in alternate positions, they're not for just shooting prone.

The next thing I would do is look at a good fully adjustable stock. something that allows you to change LOP and Comb height. This will let you adjust the stock for YOU

Lastly, attend a good school like Rifles Only and really learn how to run it, educate yourself and get the info straight from professionals that do it or have done it.

R.

It may be a while before I can get out to the range again, so I'll probably have more time to save up for the scope that I want. That and hopefully the dealer that I am thinking of getting it from has it back in stock by then.

I'd really like to take a class for long-range shooting. There are local matches that shoot 200, 300 and 600 meters. That's about the max for local ranges though.

drck1000
11-14-11, 01:32
youll need to select a scope before buying scope rings depending on the objective lens diameter. Most likely though youll be using low height rings. I have a 6-24x50mm Bushnell Tactical Elite scope and I have to use mediums. It its a 40mm or so objective, low rings will work fine. I use an EGW 20 MOA scope base.

If you want to do a proper install and do it yourself, should purchase a Wheeler scope mounting kit. Has all the hardware to property lap rings, align, and torque screws down to proper spec. You can use these for any future builds as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mounting-Combo-1-Inch/dp/B002PQKGSI

this tool for reticle leveling is much better than the one in the above kit
http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Pro-Reticle-Leveling-System/dp/B005EWUF22/ref=sr_1_23?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1321197751&sr=1-23

I already have the scope I want in mind, but the dealer that I'll be going through doesn't have them in stock. If I end up going with a cheaper scope just to get it up and running, I'll likely get something with the same objective lens diameter, probably 50 mm.

Thanks for the tip on the mounting kit. I'll have to look into that. There's a local custom rifle builder that does a lot of work on Rem 700's, but he charges something like $80 to mount a scope and I am not sure what exactly that includes (like bedding the base if required).

broylz
11-14-11, 02:14
i started with the same rifle for my current rig. its awesome. i did go cheap and got Weaver low rings with a Weaver 20moa base and a Millett TRS-1.it shoots really well. I have a cheap bipod and made a cheek riser with strips of a foam mat under an elastic butt cuff. I also filled the buttstock with 7.5 lead shot. there is almost no recoil at all.
i do want to build with better quality in the future but being unemployed and a full time college student, money is tight.

when i redo it, i will be using Seekins rings and either seekins or Badger for the base. Id like a Manners stock and a Nightforce or Vortex Razor scope but it will most likely get a HS Precision takeoff from a 700P and a Viper PST scope.

whatever you go with, you will definately enjoy it.

markm
11-14-11, 07:15
What... are you going to do carry a bag everywhere you go to support the front of the rifle???:confused::confused:

I do. :)

And that trigger will get on your nerves. I know the X mark feels ok coming off of GI AR15 triggers. But when you're dry firing while looking at a 200 yard target, you'll watch the reticle jump around when that shitty trigger breaks.

Don't waste your time trying to adjust it. Get a Timney for $120 and set it to your desired pull.

drck1000
11-14-11, 13:45
i started with the same rifle for my current rig. its awesome. i did go cheap and got Weaver low rings with a Weaver 20moa base and a Millett TRS-1.it shoots really well. I have a cheap bipod and made a cheek riser with strips of a foam mat under an elastic butt cuff. I also filled the buttstock with 7.5 lead shot. there is almost no recoil at all.
i do want to build with better quality in the future but being unemployed and a full time college student, money is tight.

when i redo it, i will be using Seekins rings and either seekins or Badger for the base. Id like a Manners stock and a Nightforce or Vortex Razor scope but it will most likely get a HS Precision takeoff from a 700P and a Viper PST scope.

whatever you go with, you will definately enjoy it.

I was considering the Nightforce NXS series for a while, and I guess I still am since I haven't purchased a scope yet. I really like the the mil-hashes of the NP-R1. But I figure I'll try something a little less expensive for my first scope. The NXS SFP scopes are about 2x the Viper PST and the NXS FFP are about 3x the Viper PST.

I can see how being a full time college student can restrict your firearms funds. I've been working full time for almost 15 years now and I still "struggle" with my firearms budget, particularly when I've spent quite a bit lately because of a bad case of BRD! Haha.

drck1000
11-14-11, 13:54
I do. :)

And that trigger will get on your nerves. I know the X mark feels ok coming off of GI AR15 triggers. But when you're dry firing while looking at a 200 yard target, you'll watch the reticle jump around when that shitty trigger breaks.

Don't waste your time trying to adjust it. Get a Timney for $120 and set it to your desired pull.

The X-Mark trigger actually feels great when compared to the GI AR/M4 triggers! This is all very new to me. I haven't shot many bolt guns. There was one guy at the range that had me try his CZ 223 bolt gun that had a VERY light trigger! I didn't ask him what weight he had it set at, but if I had to guess I would say 2 lbs. All I remember is that you had to manually reset the trigger by pushing it forward until it clicked after each shot.

$120 for a Timney sounds like an inexpensive (well, relatively inexpensive when compared to the price for the rifle, optics and ammo) upgrade.

markm
11-14-11, 14:07
The Timney is a great trigger for the price. Pappabear and I both installed them. Fairly easy to do. Just set your pull weight while the action is out of the stock. Otherwise you'll end up pulling the gun apart if you don't like the factory pull weight.

rickp
11-14-11, 14:12
NF scopes are GREAT scopes. It's what I would have had is they had made a FFP scope when I got mine. Instead I went with a S&B.

Anything that helps you run the rifle better is a good option to look at. I would say trigger is way up there since it CAN be a big issue when shooting for accuracy.

One last point. Don't do like a lot of people out there that end up putting together a nice little stick and then go out and buy 10 MOA (exaggerating) ammo. That's like putting go cart tires on a Ferrari.

markm
11-14-11, 14:26
One last point. Don't do like a lot of people out there that end up putting together a nice little stick and then go out and buy 10 MOA (exaggerating) ammo. That's like putting go cart tires on a Ferrari.

Good point. A great starting ammo is Fed Gold Medal Match in 168 or 175 SMK.

broylz
11-14-11, 14:31
as far as triggers go, ive never had a problem with the 3 rifles ive had all with x-mark pro triggers. ive shot as small as 3/4" at 200 yards with mine. i may upgrade it later if i ever get to the point that its the part holding me back.

i do agree that ammo is a very important part of the shooting equation. PSA has the best deal ive found on FGGM ammo.

Also, to get the gun together properly through any modifications and/or field repairs etc..., i would recommend the Borka torque tool. its around $90 and will give repeatable torque settings which will lead to repeatable accuracy as well. the more consistant you can be the better.

markm
11-14-11, 14:51
as far as triggers go, ive never had a problem with the 3 rifles ive had all with x-mark pro triggers. ive shot as small as 3/4" at 200 yards with mine. i may upgrade it later if i ever get to the point that its the part holding me back.

I dumped mine because it would not adjust below 4 lbs... no matter how much I turned the adjustement screw. I think a guy here backed the screw almost all the way out and couldn't get adjustment.

It wasn't an unshootable trigger... But for the price of a Timney... there wasn't much to debate.

drck1000
11-14-11, 18:35
NF scopes are GREAT scopes. It's what I would have had is they had made a FFP scope when I got mine. Instead I went with a S&B.

Anything that helps you run the rifle better is a good option to look at. I would say trigger is way up there since it CAN be a big issue when shooting for accuracy.

Good point. A great starting ammo is Fed Gold Medal Match in 168 or 175 SMK.

I hear you on the ammo. I'm planning on going with the Federal Gold Medal Match in 175 gr. It's available locally for $279/200. That may sound pretty high to you guys, but living in Hawaii, the shipping cost for ammo can get pricey, if the online retailer offers to ship here at all. The Federal Gold Medal Match ammo is one of the few available locally for bulk sale. There are probably others available, but I think they run closer to $1.50-2.00 per round!

Of course I'll try other ammo to experiment, but I don't have any plans to reload, at least any time soon.

markm
11-15-11, 07:21
I hear you on the ammo. I'm planning on going with the Federal Gold Medal Match in 175 gr. It's available locally for $279/200. That may sound pretty high to you guys, but living in Hawaii, the shipping cost for ammo can get pricey

That just means you can't afford to shoot poorly. A flinch will cost you a Buck Forty!

Dave L.
11-15-11, 08:20
What... are you going to do carry a bag everywhere you go to support the front of the rifle???:confused::confused:

That's exactly what I do when I have my bolt gun. A 3-day pack with every piece of essential sniping gear i have. Once I learned that I didn't need a bipod, I never bought another one.

The only thing I like a bipod for is to hold my weapon upright while I clean it.

markm
11-15-11, 08:31
That's exactly what I do when I have my bolt gun. A 3-day pack with every piece of essential sniping gear i have. Once I learned that I didn't need a bipod, I never bought another one.

The only thing I like a bipod for is to hold my weapon upright while I clean it.

Same here. I never go out without my pack.. even if I'm going into the sticks with no plans to shoot.

My pack is full of Different colored Springco springs! :p

Dave L.
11-15-11, 08:39
My pack is full of Different colored Springco springs! :p

Oh below the belt :D

rickp
11-15-11, 09:46
I guess it all depends on your mission, like the popular saying goes, mission drives the gear train. Like I mentioned before, a bipod also helps one shoot from alternate positions. It's not all about shooting prone. Actually in some missions if one gets to shoot prone you're very lucky.

Here's a good topic on the subject. The main point is consistency.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=666323

markm
11-15-11, 10:06
Yep. I'm not ANTI bi-pod. It's just not applicable for the shooting I'm doing at this time.

rickp
11-15-11, 10:35
Markm,
at the end of the day that's what' its about, what works for the shooter.

drck1000
11-15-11, 11:19
That just means you can't afford to shoot poorly. A flinch will cost you a Buck Forty!

I guess I never thought of it that way. That would hopefully help me focus better. I've tended to think about it in terms of the total cost for the shooting session. 200 rounds of 5.56 through the AR, around $60, and 40 .308 FGMM at around $56.

I thought about going with cheaper "practice" ammo, but they aren't THAT much cheaper here.

drck1000
11-15-11, 11:30
What particular types of shooting bags/rests do you guys use? I have a cordura front rest that has a leather/suede strip where you rest the rifle and that strip is quickly wearing away. I've seen a bunch of shooters with leather shooting rests, particularly for the rear ones, but those seem pretty bulky.

I was thinking something like this would be good for the rear rest. They seem light, inexpensive and they look durable.

http://www.bigrivertactical.com/catalog/item/3061586/2590308.htm

As for my particular use, I'll be starting off just shooting at metal targets in the 200-450 yard range. Then eventually want to get into local rifle matches where the targets are at 200, 300, and 600 yards, all from the prone position.

I won't be hunting with this setup. Hunting opportunities are quite limited here.

markm
11-15-11, 11:31
I guess I never thought of it that way. That would hopefully help me focus better. I've tended to think about it in terms of the total cost for the shooting session. 200 rounds of 5.56 through the AR, around $60, and 40 .308 FGMM at around $56.

I thought about going with cheaper "practice" ammo, but they aren't THAT much cheaper here.

I'm too much of an ammo snob to run cheap stuff. Hand loading will do that to you. :D

Even my bulk 55 gr AR ammo will run circles around XM193 or similar.

drck1000
11-15-11, 11:32
I'm too much of an ammo snob to run cheap stuff. Hand loading will do that to you. :D

Even my bulk 55 gr AR ammo will run circles around XM193 or similar.

What's your price with shipping for ammo to Hawaii? :D

rickp
11-15-11, 11:42
This is my rear bag.

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-rear-bag.html

R.

markm
11-15-11, 11:49
What's your price with shipping for ammo to Hawaii? :D

You pay for the plane ticket, and I'll stuff my suitcase with ammo! :eek:

markm
11-15-11, 11:53
This is my rear bag.

R.

I have a bit of a bag fettish. :p I bought those canvas bags from Brownells and filled them with a variety of densities of sands so I can grab what I want depending on the shooting spot.

We literally have no less than 6 bags available every time we shoot.

rickp
11-15-11, 11:59
I have a bit of a bag fettish. :p

Well that's a new one, a bag fettish!!! :lol:

Dave L.
11-15-11, 13:25
Well that's a new one, a bag fettish!!! :lol:

...and he jumps my shit for fruity-colored RE springs :p

markm
11-15-11, 13:39
None of my sand bags are Blue or Red or Pink. ;)

drck1000
11-15-11, 16:06
This is my rear bag.

R.

Thanks for the link. Looks promising and the shipping is reasonable. Maybe I'll have to add a few things to "distribute" the shipping cost. Haha. Maybe a TAB gun belt or other gear.

drck1000
11-15-11, 16:09
You pay for the plane ticket, and I'll stuff my suitcase with ammo! :eek:

Here's a bit of what I have to deal with. An example from Ammunition To Go

1000 5.56 Federal XM193 FMJ - $319.95
200 .308 FGMM 175 gr BTHP - $224.95
Shipping via FedEx - $239.23
Shipping adds HAZMAT fees because the package has to travel by air.

Total = $749.13

So what airline do you prefer? Haha.

rickp
11-15-11, 17:20
Thanks for the link. Looks promising and the shipping is reasonable. Maybe I'll have to add a few things to "distribute" the shipping cost. Haha. Maybe a TAB gun belt or other gear.

I can tell you they have great gear. I have a can cover, a rear bag and a shooting mat.

What i really like about the bag is that it's not too big and can be used in either position, meaning tall or wide. The Triad bag for example is a bit too big to shoot lengthwise IMO.

R.

orkan
11-15-11, 17:33
What i really like about the bag is that it's not too big and can be used in either position, meaning tall or wide.

Don't forget flat!

It has lots of other uses too.
http://www.primalrights.com/forum/review.php?a=2561

rickp
11-15-11, 18:31
Don't forget flat!

It has lots of other uses too.
http://www.primalrights.com/forum/review.php?a=2561

Yes and flat. It also has straps on both sides so one can slide their hand into it. Also the straps allows one to hang the bag from your folded bipod before setting the rifle on a barricade. Very versatile.

R.

drck1000
12-16-11, 13:43
Ordered a Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 MRAD from Scott at Liberty Optics yesterday along with Leupold MK4 rings and base. He emailed me this morning and said that the order will ship today. I hope to have the order in hand next week and mounted shortly thereafter.

I also ordered a couple of the TAB rifle rests and will likely pick up some Federal GMM ammo next week.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Orkan - Thank you for the referral to Scott at Liberty Optics. Sounds like things are super crazy for him, but great service nonetheless.

orkan
12-16-11, 19:09
Orkan - Thank you for the referral to Scott at Liberty Optics. Sounds like things are super crazy for him, but great service nonetheless.

No problem. :) Glad you got what you needed!

SeriousStudent
12-16-11, 19:43
I also purchased that same scope from Scott at Liberty Optics. Definitely a good guy, and excellent customer service. He's getting all my optics business, and I may have convinced a friend at work to join us in this bolt gun addiction. :)

I'm arranging to have the scope mounted now.

A big tip of the hat to Orkan, for steering me to Scott.

orkan
12-16-11, 21:31
I may have convinced a friend at work to join us in this bolt gun addiction. :)

No joke.

BRD ... its not black rifle disease... its BOLT rifle disease! :)

markm
12-16-11, 21:33
No joke.

We shot bolt today and are going back out tomorrow for more. I'm so confused. :(

jbsmwd
12-17-11, 01:18
No joke.

I thought it was B/BRD for you?

orkan
12-17-11, 09:42
I thought it was B/BRD for you?

What's that?

Pappabear
12-18-11, 02:36
I hear you on the ammo. I'm planning on going with the Federal Gold Medal Match in 175 gr. It's available locally for $279/200. That may sound pretty high to you guys, but living in Hawaii, the shipping cost for ammo can get pricey, if the online retailer offers to ship here at all. The Federal Gold Medal Match ammo is one of the few available locally for bulk sale. There are probably others available, but I think they run closer to $1.50-2.00 per round!

Of course I'll try other ammo to experiment, but I don't have any plans to reload, at least any time soon.

Good luck Buddy. Yea, just buy a bulk of good ammo and not have to think about it every 20 rounds. Small price to pay to live in paradise.