PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Pelican case?

BigLarge
11-12-11, 01:51
I'll make this short and sweet. I'm a Police Officer, and my patrol rifle is an RRA AR15. I recently purchased a Larue SPR-E mount and a Meopta K-Dot for it. The gun currently sits in the factory RRA case, which goes in the trunk while on patrol.

Obviously, I cannot afford for this thing to get knocked outa whack. (though I understand Larue mounts are near bullet proof).

Do I need a heavy duty case (Pelican) to ensure everything stays zero'd and in good case? Or am I just asking for trouble using what I have?

Joeywhat
11-12-11, 03:16
It's certainly not a bad idea, and it will protect more then just the optic. Remember, mags are relatively fragile, too.

If it's back there by itself I wouldn't worry too much...if you have a bunch of other gear in with it, I think it would be a sound investment.

kmrtnsn
11-12-11, 07:54
Get a Pelican case, and then get a chain and a couple of good locks to go with it. Yours won't be the first police car broken into when you are 10-6, filing a report for your stolen personal weapon isn't something that you want to do.

bp7178
11-12-11, 08:43
I have a Pelican 1700 that I transport my rifle in.

I had been considering a Larue discreet case, but wanted something with more protection, as it would be in the trunk of the car.

Anything bigger than the 1700, and it can be slightly ungainly to carry around. Just getting in and out of doors is slightly cumbersome.

I wish Pelican made a smaller case where I could break the upper and lower down to make it easier to carry, similar in size to the Larue discreet case.

I hade a 1720, while it had tons of room, the extra 6" was very noticeable when it came time to carry it.

TehLlama
11-12-11, 10:41
I've pretty much acquiesced and bought pelican cases for all sort of things - two for rifles, one for large items, and two for electronics. I'm convinced my laptop and DSLR have survived solely because I keep and transport them in pelican cases (OEF, MEU), and it doesn't hurt for a rifle if you need a case anyway.
Side benefit is that with a pair of sturdy locks you're set for air travel as well.

BigLarge
11-12-11, 17:31
Get a Pelican case, and then get a chain and a couple of good locks to go with it. Yours won't be the first police car broken into when you are 10-6, filing a report for your stolen personal weapon isn't something that you want to do.

Didnt even think about this. Securing the case IN the trunk would probably be even more protection from being jarred around... and would help prevent theft. Good idea.

I have a Pelican 1700 that I transport my rifle in.

I had been considering a Larue discreet case, but wanted something with more protection, as it would be in the trunk of the car.

Anything bigger than the 1700, and it can be slightly ungainly to carry around. Just getting in and out of doors is slightly cumbersome.

I wish Pelican made a smaller case where I could break the upper and lower down to make it easier to carry, similar in size to the Larue discreet case.

I hade a 1720, while it had tons of room, the extra 6" was very noticeable when it came time to carry it.

Glad you mentioned this... I was eyeing a used 1720, but now I will stick with finding a 1700.

I saw a picture of a broken down 10.5" AR in a Pelican case. Havent seen any 16 inchers like that tho.

bp7178
11-12-11, 18:48
The 1700 is the perfect size for a 14.5" or 16" carbine.

A local gun shop cut the foam. I'm not too happy with it, but they did it for free.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/roguedemon/photo1-1.jpg

If you get a Pelican, read this info...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/292695_Cutting_Gun_Case_Foam__lots_of_photos_.html

This is THE way to cut the foam. Make a template tracing on posterboard with pencil, use a marker and a ruler to straighten up the lines, drawing on the INSIDE of the trace lines. Use template with hot wire cutter.

If you don't want to build a cutter, you can buy one...

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/-K03-Crafters-Scroll-Table-Set.html

If I could get a smaller case that would hold the upper and lower broken down I would. The 1700 is the biggest I would want unless I had a bolt gun or something that demanded a bigger case.

Loki
11-14-11, 23:32
I've been using Pelican cases for a long time and have way too many of them. If you leave them in the closet they multiply :shout:

Over the last 15 years I broke three of them. All were replaced by Pelican w/o question . . . .

I use a 1700 w/ cable & lock as a makeshift vault when driving loaner vehicles.

Don't bother with the foam, use a soft padded/discreet case and throw it inside the hard case.