PDA

View Full Version : what scope?

rigget05
11-12-11, 07:49
Hi all im new to the ar world and to this forum i woul appreciate any help.

I recently purchased a rra operator elite and im looking to put a scope on it but unsure of which one.

Im kind of on a budget so nothing real fancy and i want a scope not a holgraphic sight.

thank you.

pira114
11-12-11, 08:34
Give some more details. What are you doing with this rifle? Hunting? Long range target? What distances? And scopes can run anywhere from $40 to $2000. What's your actual price range?

digitalpaladin
11-12-11, 09:23
Also, have you given thought to your desired magnification range? Have you considered the weight such a scope plus mount will add to your carbine? Your rifle has a 16" Chrome-Moly 1-9 twist barrel. This would be great paired with a Nikon M-223 600 BDC using 55-grain polymer tip ammo.

Ghost__1
11-12-11, 11:29
I basically get that you would rather sacrifice quality for lower cost so a bushnell should do.

My recommendation would be to use the search function or just browse throughthe optics forum. I'm sure that you would find something suitable. That would require you actually read however and maybe learn something about your rifle. If that seems manageable. Basically what I offer to you is free.it may be just knowledge but it will get you to where you want to go. Everything tastes better free they say.

Seagunner
11-12-11, 12:33
I agree with Ghost 1..the research is half the fun anyway. It's such a huge and diverse market.

rigget05
11-12-11, 13:12
Give some more details. What are you doing with this rifle? Hunting? Long range target? What distances? And scopes can run anywhere from $40 to $2000. What's your actual price range?

iM LOOKING TO USE THIS RIFLE FOR COYOTE HUNTING OUT TO ABOUT 250 YARDS I WANT TO SPEND LESS THAN 250

Ghost__1
11-12-11, 13:25
iM LOOKING TO USE THIS RIFLE FOR COYOTE HUNTING OUT TO ABOUT 250 YARDS I WANT TO SPEND LESS THAN 250

EBay will suit you fine. Search rifle scope, on the options panel at left click less than dollar amount, buy first scope to POP up. Done

Generalpie
11-12-11, 23:53
Scout the auctions for a used leupold. I picked up a 4x fixed a year or two ago for $80. You can fudge bullet drop to 250, even on yotes without much trouble.

TehLlama
11-13-11, 00:04
For coyote out to 250, a Bushnell or Leupold VXIII are among the best value out there. Used will open that range up a lot more - make sure you get some decent rings and you'll be set.

VIP3R 237
11-13-11, 00:10
You can get a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 with a bdc for $169.95 then buy a burris pepr mount for about $70 and that will be a decent setup for your price range.

Seagunner
11-13-11, 03:20
EBay will suit you fine. Search rifle scope, on the options panel at left click less than dollar amount, buy first scope to POP up. Done

Cracking me up Ghost:D

anthony1
11-14-11, 02:48
Natchezss still has some closeout nitrex scopes, there japanese made rebadged weaver/atk scopes, basically its a weaver superslam with a different name on it for 99-200$. These are really solid hunting scopes on par with leupold vxll, bushy 3200s, vortex viper, which are also good but usually out of your price range. Lack of reticle options are the only downside l can come up with for these scopes but for 250yds and under l dont think it will be that big of a deal.

For your price range its about the only thing l can think of new with a good warranty, made in JAPAN not china, from a well respected (weaver/atk) optics company. l own 2 of the affore mentioned scopes, l consider them to be the best value in optics l can recall in the last few years.

JackFanToM
11-14-11, 16:18
$250...hmmm seems that is way too low for anything really good...expand that to $300, and you can get this:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx

or get an adequate Leupold. I roll with an eotech xps, but I also have a 3x9 VX R by Leupold...amazing piece of glass for under $500. In the event you will be hunting in low light conditions the VX R line offers illuminated reticles. It would be a real shame to get an accurate rifle like an AR and put some coke bottle glass on it...you'd be better off with irons imo.

Nightvisionary
11-17-11, 00:37
Take a look at a Leupold Mark AR. It's a good entry level optic for AR rifles and won't break your wallet.

photo2u
11-20-11, 18:25
$250...hmmm seems that is way too low for anything really good...expand that to $300, and you can get this:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx

or get an adequate Leupold. I roll with an eotech xps, but I also have a 3x9 VX R by Leupold...amazing piece of glass for under $500. In the event you will be hunting in low light conditions the VX R line offers illuminated reticles. It would be a real shame to get an accurate rifle like an AR and put some coke bottle glass on it...you'd be better off with irons imo.

+1 on the swfa. They work well for the price. Actually, I think that they are the best in that price range.