PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 or 34?

kingkroupa
11-12-11, 14:22
So my my normal daily carry gun was my Glock 19 (note I said was, wife determined that it was now her gun...) so I'm looking at upgrading. I initally thought I would just go to a 17 and be done with it but I carry with a Surefire X300 about 99% of the time and it will extend past the muzzle a little on the 17. So if I'm dealing with that extra length anyway why not go ahead and move up to the 34? The grip is the same length and that is always the part I struggle with the most when it comes to concealed carry and when compared to the 17 with the light on it I'm really only adding a 1/2" or less in overall length. Am I making sense or am I just trying to justify a slightly cooler new toy in the 34 when the 17 would be more practical?

mhanna91
11-12-11, 14:39
If the gun is going to be serving as a duty weapon and a concealed carry weapon, why not just get another G19?

kingkroupa
11-12-11, 14:44
If the gun is going to be serving as a duty weapon and a concealed carry weapon, why not just get another G19?

It is primarily a concealed carry gun. The only reason I don't just get another 19 is because I'm wanting something a little bigger anyway. I had been thinking about getting a 17 anyway but then when the wife wanted my 19 it finally gave me the excuse I needed to go pick something new.

darr3239
11-12-11, 15:01
My last duty gun was a Glock 35, same as 34 just in 40 cal. The gun I had just prior was a Glock 21 .45, and I wanted something that fit my hand better.

I wondered about the extra length while drawing from a holster, but experienced no issues what so ever. In fact, my draw was as fast as it had ever been. The extra sight radius also helps with precision shooting. For duty belt use, it was my favorite out of all the guns I carried over the years. I never considered it for concealed carry, since my Glock 23 fulfilled that role. I say, go for it.

sadmin
11-12-11, 15:10
If I could oc it, my 34 would never leave my side. I got it for IDPA because my 17L is too long. It's my favorite of all pistols Ive owned. Go for it if you don't mind the profile. Heres a pic to tempt you:

http://img.tapatalk.com/4ac05d1e-e0b9-bc90.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
11-12-11, 15:22
A G19 with Grip Force Adapter feels like a slightly bigger pistol, but handles just like the G19 we're all used to.

I just added the GFA to my carry Gen4 G19, and am irritated that I didn't do it sooner. Split times dropped, target transitions are a little faster, and my reloads are faster for some reason.

Maybe an ergonomic improvement is what you need?

Horsehide
11-12-11, 19:05
For CCW, I would go with a G17 (which I do). I really like the idea of a G34, but since I carry AIWB, the longer barrel/holster interferes with Big Jim and the Twins while driving...:eek:
The G17 in a good holster is a breeze to carry.

F-Trooper05
11-12-11, 20:22
Hey Rob (it's Trevor from the Falla class). I have a 17 if you want to try it out some time. PM me if you want, or text me if you still have my number.

kingkroupa
11-12-11, 20:30
Hey Rob (it's Trevor from the Falla class). I have a 17 if you want to try it out some time. PM me if you want, or text me if you still have my number.

Apprecaite the offer, I'll probably hit you up when I'm back in town.

deeHKman
11-12-11, 22:34
The 34 is my favorite Glock and would carry it with no problem...

oef24
11-12-11, 23:30
I carry a G17 with Surefire X300 daily. If you plan on carrying a Glock with a Surefire X300 and you can conceal it well, then the extra length of the G34 will not bother you. The G34 will extend out to the length of the Surefire X300.
I do vary my carry from AIWB to 3:00. When I do carry AIWB, the flashlight gets removed because it is almost impossible for me to carry it on the gun when I AIWB. At 3:00 or thereabouts, it is a breeze.
I know that it looks a little strange to have the flashlight stick out past the muzzle but I assure you it is not a problem. If anything, it works as a partial stand-off device for the muzzle. I usually keep a light film of synthetic oil on the bezel of the X300 to make it easier to clean after a long session or class. Good luck.

O

Gary1911A1
11-13-11, 05:26
I think you could carry either with wise decisions regarding what holster to use. IWB carry with the 34 would likely be the most challenging for me even if the 34 is about the same OAL as a 1911, the 34 just feels longer. A lot of it depends on your body size too.

ck1
11-13-11, 17:00
Carrying a 34 is actually quite easy, even AIWB with the right holster...

I like 17's too, but think a 34 has the best balance of any of the Glocks (34's are a little more nose-heavy than the others, and that's a good thing).
One thing you may want to keep in mind is that holsters of just about any type or configuration for the 17/22's practically grow on trees, with a 34 the options thin out a lot and it gets a lot harder to get a hold of some types/configs. Also, don't forget that the 17's can be had in the RTF2 treatment, and the 34's can't, IMO a Gen3 RTF2 is the finest incarnation of the Glock pistol yet (YMMV).

Really they shoot about exactly the same for most guys, and most of the differences are purely subjective, so I would just get whichever one you feel like...

Spiffums
11-13-11, 17:59
One thing to know.... Custom Holster Makers. The only thing that 17 has over the 34 is ease of getting holsters for it. I love mine.

smullen
11-14-11, 01:33
A G34 is on my next pistol to aquire list...

JB326
11-14-11, 02:00
My G34 is my favorite of all my Glocks. A close second would be my 35 which is the .40 cal version. I did a grip reduction and stippled some flames into mine...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/Glock34-1.jpg

With that said, my next Glock will be a 17 for the simple reason that I don't already have one. I would also gladly be your custom holster maker if you go the 34 route.

Grease Monkey
11-16-11, 12:44
You got a flamin' glock! :laugh:

blackscot
11-16-11, 13:38
Well I was pondering the very same question until about 2 hours ago when I picked up one of the 17's, so I guess that indicates my vote.

Following a hopefully successful shake-down period, it will be for concealed carry but without an attached light.

I am currently most used to carrying a G19 so just the G17 will be a transition, and it is even harder for me to invision carrying a G34 with a light.....but then I'm not a big guy (except where it counts, of course :happy: ).

drck1000
11-16-11, 13:53
Very interesting discussion for me as I'm currently debating the same thing. My state doesn't allow CCW, so the size of the slide/barrel isn't that big of a deal. My intended use for the G34 is for USPSA/IPSC events and I hope to eventually use it in carbine/pistol training courses. I already have a compact 40 S&W pistol and I wanted the next to be a 9 mm.

I may eventually get a G17 if get the G34 first and vice-versa. But I found it interesting that a few of you use the G34 for daily carry, with lights mounted.

One plus in my mind is that no matter which direction I choose first, I'll be able to use the same mags for both. The holster is a different story. . .

Hizzie
11-16-11, 22:14
G34 isn't any longer than a 1911. Why not.

blackscot
11-17-11, 05:43
......My state doesn't allow CCW......My intended use for the G34 is for USPSA/IPSC events.....

In my mind the choice was between the 34 as a game-only gun versus the 17 as something I could also carry.

smullen
11-17-11, 15:16
My G34 is my favorite of all my Glocks. A close second would be my 35 which is the .40 cal version. I did a grip reduction and stippled some flames into mine...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x212/shooter_john/Glock34-1.jpg

With that said, my next Glock will be a 17 for the simple reason that I don't already have one. I would also gladly be your custom holster maker if you go the 34 route.

I like it... Never seen a that before...

Would go nice with my Blazer that has Ghost Flames on it..

BaronFitz
11-17-11, 15:34
I have a G17 and had a G34. I ended up selling the G34 when I picked up an M&P 9 Pro and discovered that I do much better with that than the G34.

Some considerations on carrying the G34:

-- When I carried it in a Galco Fletch holster that was originally designed for the G17, the barrel poked out a little far and made me sit slightly higher on my gun side while driving.

-- It did fine carrying IWB.

-- There is the consideration of the big hole in the top of the slide. While highly unlikely, there is a non-zero risk of FOD getting in there compared to the G17.

-- In retrospect, I believe that my front sight was too short. I consistently shot high with it using sights that were designed for the G17's shorter slide.

-- The G34 comes with an extended (really a G21) mag release and slide stop. I ditched the extended slide stop for a stock one to prevent riding the stop and preventing lock open. A Vickers mag release is superior to the blocky stock one.

Not trying to talk you into or out of it....just my two cents from experience.

Surf
11-17-11, 17:30
I have a 19, 17 and a 34. I like to carry the 19 but my favorite is the 17. Even as a competition weapon I would chose the 17 over say the 34.

YMMV

kingkroupa
11-17-11, 17:37
. Even as a competition weapon I would chose the 17 over say the 34.

YMMV

What makes you prefer the 17 over the 34? Just curious

Vulture38
11-17-11, 20:30
New guy with his opening post here.....for CCW purposes it is going to be hard to beat the G17. Considering that the frame is the same for both the 17 and 34, that slightly extended barrel length may come into play for you. YMMV. I choose to carry a G22 and am very pleased.

However, being that you are getting a new pistol, I am certain that either way, you will be most satisfied with your purchase.

sspro2340
11-18-11, 03:00
What makes you prefer the 17 over the 34? Just curious

I don't know for sure, but he probably doesn't like the compensated barrel and slide.

He's an IP, he may be worried about stuff getting in there, and hot gasses hitting his face when shooting from the hip in CQC.

Or hell maybe he just doesn't like the trigger or something

BaronFitz
11-18-11, 05:04
The 34 isn't compensated. There are no ports on the barrel unless you have a G34C (which I've never seen, but might exist somewhere). The hole in the slide is for mass distribution.

Sry0fcr
11-18-11, 07:52
I never really found extra barrel length to be much of an issue when carried IWB. It's the butt of the gun I had issues with and since the frames are the same size between 17 and 34, I don't think there's a reason not to do it save for the holster problems which would probably push me towards the 17 personally.

darr3239
11-18-11, 11:47
Whether barrel length will come into play depends upon your method of carry, and issues most commonly come about when you are sitting down. I have a friend that carries in front of, or just inside his hip bone. When ever I've tried that, with anything other than a pocket pistol, it pokes me when I sit down.

I generally carry behind my right hip, I guess you could call it the kidney area. There, even with the gun canted, a longer barrel can hit the seat of a vehicle. Carrying on the side of the hip probably provides the most amount of leeway, but if you have car seats, where the sides of the seat are angled up for ass stability, most barrel lengths contact the seat. Just try it in my 350Z.

That's what I like about concealed carry. It is never totally comfortable. Clint Smith says, "get over it". If you really want to carry a certain gun, just make it work one way or the other.

Surf
11-18-11, 20:36
What makes you prefer the 17 over the 34? Just curiousFor myself and running both weapons heavily, I don't find a significant advantage with the longer 34 slide and sight radius when it comes to accuracy, other than perhaps bench or bullseye type shooting, but I really don't find any real measurable advantage. I also don't feel that the heavier nose of the 34 gives me a good advantage as far as recoil is concerned, especially in 9mm. So for run and gun I definitely prefer the lighter weight of the 17 which I feel moves transitionally faster and my speed with presentations, target transitions, and overall manipulations is quicker. I also like the shorter draw stroke of the 17 from the holster. So just for myself, I prefer the lighter, quicker weapon over what the 34 offers.

jp0319
11-18-11, 20:55
I have a Glock 35 and love it but I don't really have a desire to carry it due to the longer slide. Given your situation I'd take the Glock 17 for the versitility. I'm thinking of getting a 17 myself for this reason.

JP

kingkroupa
11-19-11, 08:05
For myself and running both weapons heavily, I don't find a significant advantage with the longer 34 slide and sight radius when it comes to accuracy, other than perhaps bench or bullseye type shooting, but I really don't find any real measurable advantage. I also don't feel that the heavier nose of the 34 gives me a good advantage as far as recoil is concerned, especially in 9mm. So for run and gun I definitely prefer the lighter weight of the 17 which I feel moves transitionally faster and my speed with presentations, target transitions, and overall manipulations is quicker. I also like the shorter draw stroke of the 17 from the holster. So just for myself, I prefer the lighter, quicker weapon over what the 34 offers.

Awesome, thanks for your input.