PDA

View Full Version : Trying out some pistols. Tips?

jc000
11-13-11, 11:51
I've decided that I would like a pistol for defense, CCW, and training. After a lot of thought and research I've narrowed down my choices and hope to evaluate them at the range this week.

What I'm hoping for is maybe some good advice/direction on how to "test" these. I have only shot pistols maybe 3x in my life so other than pointing at the target and firing away I don't really have much of a game plan. Any suggestions on some basic drills which may be good to get a feel for each pistol?

The majority of models will be 9mm--I may try a couple of .40 variants of the same models but don't really see any true advantage to me for that caliber at this time.

Thanks!

Failure2Stop
11-13-11, 13:28
Really, unless you are proficient, you won't really know what to look for or what preferences are must haves and which ones are irrelevant internet minutia.

My standing advice: buy a Gen3 G19 and 5,000 rounds. There are a few mods and upgrades, but it is wholly caipable and usable out of the box, retains decent resale valuse, holsters and mag pouches are readily available, as are sights and replacement parts.

I'm not a Glock "fan", they have their issues just like every other pistol on the market, but once you push 5,000 rounds through it (with dedicated practice/training effort) you will understand and appreciate nuances you will never really understand until you reach some degree of skill.

jc000
11-13-11, 15:12
Thanks, I really appreciate this.

To be perfectly honest, after waffling over caliber/revolver v semi for what seems like forever, I think I've narrowed it down to the HK USPC/P2000 and G19. It took a lot of (unnecessary) soul wrangling and self-assessment to recognize that a 9mm semi-auto is what probably makes the most sense for my needs.

Truthfully, I understand that the G19 probably makes the most sense, however I have to say that I just find it so unappealing aesthetically. I realize this is a silly, but what can I say? 90% of its use will be as a fun, range-day blaster and I guess aesthetics play a part in that, to me.

I did manage to get out today and shoot the P2000. You're right--I am so non-proficient at shooting that there wasn't much to notice other than the trigger seemed to take up a considerable amount before it broke, and that I had trouble reaching the mag release. I had hoped to back-to-back shoot it with the G19 but I wasn't able to today.

I am a big believer in "buy once, cry once". At @ $500 for the G19 and @ $750 for the HK, if they shoot and operate about equal for me I would likely go with the HK. I don't want to have a safe full of guns--I want one handgun to master. I'd like this to be a lifetime purchase. And right now, I feel more strongly about the HK.

But your advice (which I've heard from others) is very welcome. I suspect the Glock will work better for me from an operational standpoint, and if so, I will get it. There is so much I picked up from this site, from very knowledgeable folks such as yourself, with real-life experience. It's really fantastic.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

ucrt
11-13-11, 15:32

I think if you can sucessfully pick a pistol that will be your one and only lifetime purchase, you should write a book about how you did it. The gun makers will probably pay very good money to keep it out of print.

I agree with F2S 100%.

I have recommended the G17/G19 countless times. What is very good about the Glock path is that IF you ever want to upgrade (and you don't pay through the nose initially) you can recoup a larger percentage of your money versus any other choice. Simple economics--there are more people with $400 in their pocket than there are with $700.

But maybe it's just me...

kris
11-13-11, 22:46
I had my wife opt for a inexpensive handgun first. Then if after a while she shot it enough, as well as practiced and received more instruction, she could venture on to different handguns of other prices.

The guys at the gun counter will all want to sell you their favorite pick at your expense.

Jfkudla
11-14-11, 09:40
Don't buy something with the intention of reselling it later. While the G19 is a good option for numerous reasons, you would do well to check out Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson M&P (I am not a fan), SIG, Springfield Armory (XD/M specifically) and Fabrique Nationale.

As far as "drills" to test them out...You should first go to a store and check out the guns. See what fits in your hand best, see which feels ergonomic, and then go read about the ones you liked. Then try and shoot them, see which works for you for whatever reason, and then go from there. Here is an example. The FNP (to me) feels great but I don't particularly care for shooting it. The Glocks are great all around (cost, interoperability, reliability) but I'm not a fan of their setup (safe action). The USP is great for me personally, but I know a lot of guys dislike it because of where the magazine release button is. It all comes down to personal preference.

As far as calibers go, you're going to get a whole bunch of people telling you 9mm vs .40 vs. .45. Keep in mind that all pistols are underpowered, and sometimes quantity is better..you'll be hard-pressed to beat the cost efficiency of a 9mm.

Inuvik
11-14-11, 19:30
Another nice thing about the G19 is that you can join the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation (GSSF) and participate in their events. They are very "beginner friendly" in terms of shooting competitions, and not too oriented towards race guns (lots of stock Glocks). I learned way more from my first match than in all of the practicing I did over the months leading up to it.

In the past, I would have also mentioned that by joining, you can purchase pistols at a decent discount, but that is not longer a great option for you since you now have to be a member for 1 year before enjoying a discount.

Either way, the G19 is a great option.

jc000
11-14-11, 21:18
Don't buy something with the intention of reselling it later.

No I would never do that--can't stand doing that, actually. I'm going to buy the best I can afford and I know that either way, the G19 or P2000 in 9mm will be both be a much better gun than I am a shooter, maybe as long as I own them.

I know that handguns are poor defensive weapons when compared to long arms, and that the differences in defensive calibers are minimal. I'm pretty confident (without ruling out the M&P) that either the HK or Glock will serve me very well for many, many years.

I really want to love the HK, but the ergo's, at least with the mag release, were not great for me. I remember the G17 I've handled being much better. I really want to shoot a G19--if I don't shoot worse than I did with the HK (probably not possible! :p) and the ergo's seem better (which I suspect they will) I'll probably accept that looking "cool" isn't everything and go with the Glock.

Thanks to all for the advice.

baddoggy
11-14-11, 21:50
Another nice thing about the G19 is that you can join the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation (GSSF) and participate in their events. They are very "beginner friendly" in terms of shooting competitions, and not too oriented towards race guns (lots of stock Glocks). I learned way more from my first match than in all of the practicing I did over the months leading up to it.

In the past, I would have also mentioned that by joining, you can purchase pistols at a decent discount, but that is not longer a great option for you since you now have to be a member for 1 year before enjoying a discount.

Either way, the G19 is a great option.
join the GSSF for a multiyear (two year) membership and you also get the pistol purchase coupon. i saved more than $100 on a Glock 34.

soldier-of-the-apocalypse
11-15-11, 16:04
+1 for the glock 19 IMHO you cant go wrong with glock

60buckscash
11-16-11, 22:35
+1 for the Glock. If it fits your hand well you will have a system that you can customize to your personal needs. There is a ridiculous amount of add ons and mags available for this gun.

Silent
11-18-11, 13:19
I would suggest getting to a range / store where you are able to shoot a couple of the guns you are interested in purchasing. I have seen a lot of people say they think the gun feels good in their hand then decide after shooting it they dont like it at all.

jc000
11-18-11, 14:16
I would suggest getting to a range / store where you are able to shoot a couple of the guns you are interested in purchasing. I have seen a lot of people say they think the gun feels good in their hand then decide after shooting it they dont like it at all.

Well that was sort of the point of this thread. I am heading (have headed) to the range to test two particular pistols: the HK P2000 and the G19. Basically I was looking for maybe some advice on "drills" to differentiate between the two models, but it looks like the much-appreciated general consensus is that I am not experienced enough to really be able to notice much of a difference beyond ergos first impressions.

I had hoped to try both back-to-back but was not able to yet. The ergos (mag release, primarily) on the P2000 weren't great for my inexperienced hands. I remember the G17 being pretty good. If shooting the G19 is no worse than the P2000 I will likely go with that option, due to the recommendations of the experts here.

Thanks.

plaskon
11-20-11, 09:55
Glock 17 or 19.
It's the best in a wide range of categories.

0okami.Digital
11-21-11, 01:07
I second the opinions of going to a range and holding various firearms. Fire different calibers too.

If its CCW, a subcompact will be nice. Make sure its comfortable in the hand. Good grip, natural.

I use an Springfield XD40sc. I liked what i read about the .40 caliber ballistics. It felt almost identical to firing 9mm.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu70/ookamidigital/IMAG0131.jpg
3 regular mags and an extended mag.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu70/ookamidigital/IMAG0132.jpg

Joeywhat
11-21-11, 01:19
My advice: do what has already been suggested and buy a Glock 19 and a whole bunch of ammo. If the grip is absolutely awful for you then try out the Smith and Wesson M&P9, either compact or full size.

Both those are very excellent firearms. There are other options out there, some work, some don't...some cost a lot more then what's been suggested, some don't...the easy answer is the Glock. Also, make sure to stick with a Gen 3 or earlier model. Glock started screwing shit up with the Gen 4. Gen 3's are still being made and VERY easy to find...any gun shop will have one.

jc000
11-21-11, 06:08
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned any strong reasons to not go with HK. Outside of cost, what other reasons are there? I don't care about upgrades. Both the HK and the Glock will be pretty functional out of the box. I have a line on a P2000 which puts me at under $100 difference in cost on the G19, which I can get before tax under $500.

I went back yesterday and fired the HK again, plus a friend's XD. My friend was supposed to bring a G17, but wasn't able to. Most surprising was how much better I shot--I mean significantly better.

The XD (which was never an option) felt blockier and cheaper. I was much more comfortable with the HK's controls this time around, handling them pretty well. However, I did shoot equally good with both.

Anyway, as mentioned, I will try the G19. After yesterday's (minor) success for me, I am much more excited about training with and learning to use the defensive pistol.

jumpthestack
11-21-11, 13:14
I find it interesting that no one has mentioned any strong reasons to not go with HK. Outside of cost, what other reasons are there? I don't care about upgrades. Both the HK and the Glock will be pretty functional out of the box. I have a line on a P2000 which puts me at under $100 difference in cost on the G19, which I can get before tax under $500.

I went back yesterday and fired the HK again, plus a friend's XD. My friend was supposed to bring a G17, but wasn't able to. Most surprising was how much better I shot--I mean significantly better.

The XD (which was never an option) felt blockier and cheaper. I was much more comfortable with the HK's controls this time around, handling them pretty well. However, I did shoot equally good with both.

Anyway, as mentioned, I will try the G19. After yesterday's (minor) success for me, I am much more excited about training with and learning to use the defensive pistol.

The HK mags will cost more than the Glock mags. You will have much less selection for holster and mag pouches. If you get the DA/SA variant, training 2 different trigger pulls and training to manipulate the decocker can be an issue.

If you want to get the HK, that's fine. It's a good gun and you're not going to regret it probably. But just realize it doesn't mean much if you shoot it better now. Once you get training you might be able to shoot other guns better or equally.

Within two years you're probably going to own both anyways, so don't worry about it too much. :D

Bad Medicine
11-21-11, 13:45
Thanks, I really appreciate this.

To be perfectly honest, after waffling over caliber/revolver v semi for what seems like forever, I think I've narrowed it down to the HK USPC/P2000 and G19. It took a lot of (unnecessary) soul wrangling and self-assessment to recognize that a 9mm semi-auto is what probably makes the most sense for my needs.

Truthfully, I understand that the G19 probably makes the most sense, however I have to say that I just find it so unappealing aesthetically. I realize this is a silly, but what can I say? 90% of its use will be as a fun, range-day blaster and I guess aesthetics play a part in that, to me.

I did manage to get out today and shoot the P2000. You're right--I am so non-proficient at shooting that there wasn't much to notice other than the trigger seemed to take up a considerable amount before it broke, and that I had trouble reaching the mag release. I had hoped to back-to-back shoot it with the G19 but I wasn't able to today.

I am a big believer in "buy once, cry once". At @ $500 for the G19 and @ $750 for the HK, if they shoot and operate about equal for me I would likely go with the HK. I don't want to have a safe full of guns--I want one handgun to master. I'd like this to be a lifetime purchase. And right now, I feel more strongly about the HK.

But your advice (which I've heard from others) is very welcome. I suspect the Glock will work better for me from an operational standpoint, and if so, I will get it. There is so much I picked up from this site, from very knowledgeable folks such as yourself, with real-life experience. It's really fantastic.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Well my friend the reason you shouldn't buy an HK is simple.... You said one pistol for a lifetime, unfortunately owning HK's is a sickness and it won't end at one! You will buy the USP 9 then you will be like "oh man this is sweet!" Then you will start noticing all of the other models and you can't help buy more! Then you will be like " oh man that UMP and G36 are amazing I want one and a HK91 while I am at it!" And then before you know it you will be hooked, and your wife will be jealous!

Outlaw621
12-03-11, 02:00
Find a range that will allow you to rent and try several different guns. Like many others have already posted, what feels good at the sales counter may not feel so good when on the range. When the sales person is pushing a particular model on you like it is the absolute best gun made and if you don't get it the world as you know it will end ask yourself this question. "If it's so damn good than why is the sales person wearing a Lorcin .380 and not carrying this angel calling cloud parting gospel song of a firearm?"