PDA

View Full Version : Current use of glocks in the army?

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 13:25
It's been mentioned that the army is issuing glock pistols. Is this true? If so, what units are using it?

Thanks!

F-Trooper05
11-13-11, 13:36
SF is using G19's, Delta is using G22's.

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 13:42

Is there a citation for this?

Iraqgunz
11-13-11, 13:53
I am pretty sure, but not certain that they have moved away from the G22. I know for a fact I saw some CAG personnel with G19's.

I have not seen any SF personnel with anything other than Berettas. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

M4Guru
11-13-11, 14:14
Let's not speculate for the sake of answering. There isn't a single completely factual statement in this thread so far.

Yep, some Army folks get Glocks. I haven't carried a Beretta since 2004. The G19 is the most widespread but certainly not the only one.

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 14:24
Let's not speculate for the sake of answering. There isn't a single completely factual statement in this thread so far.

Yep, some Army folks get Glocks. I haven't carried a Beretta since 2004. The G19 is the most widespread but certainly not the only one.

I'm just trying to get a feel for who's using what and such. I'm considering a switch away from my current weapon of choice, the 1911, and I'm looking at what is seeing service and is reliable there.

M4Guru
11-13-11, 14:27
The Glock was chosen universally by the folks that are not tied to the Beretta, FWIW. Different procurement channels, same end results.

To quote LAV and Hackathorn (a pretty good couple of sources on handgun advice), "We live in a Glock world"

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 14:34
The Glock was chosen universally by the folks that are not tied to the Beretta, FWIW. Different procurement channels, same end results.

To quote LAV and Hackathorn (a pretty good couple of sources on handgun advice), "We live in a Glock world"

I presume the 9mm glock is more popular because 9mm ammunition is readily available easily for the beretta, where other calibers, such as .40, isn't so much?

And, I do tend to listen to Larry and Ken. I know Larry a bit, so I respect his advice. I tried out the hK45, but I really didn't like the high bore axis on it, compared to the 1911.

I'm currently playing with an M&P45, but figured that I might as well look at glock, too, and see if maybe it was time to go .40 or 9mm over .45.

M4Guru
11-13-11, 14:43
With modern ammunition the 9mm is as formidable to me as any, with the benefit of capacity, cheaper practice, and shootability.

The Glocks in 9mm were a natural extension of the fact that 9mm ammo is already the standard military ammo.

For an individual, the amount of support for the Glock is pretty nice. You can go anywhere and find mags, holsters, parts, etc.

skyugo
11-13-11, 14:45
isn't a glock 19 part of the kit that air force pilots bail out with as well?

it's pretty surprising that a 9mm as universally loathed as the 92 is still the standard issue. I guess in the end handguns have very little to do mission success, still could make a lot of difference for an individual soldier in a bad spot.

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 14:54
With modern ammunition the 9mm is as formidable to me as any, with the benefit of capacity, cheaper practice, and shootability.

The Glocks in 9mm were a natural extension of the fact that 9mm ammo is already the standard military ammo.

For an individual, the amount of support for the Glock is pretty nice. You can go anywhere and find mags, holsters, parts, etc.

Hard to transition platforms with mutli-thousands of dollars invested in a carry rig already.

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 14:56

I agree. So, any thoughts on the M&P vs. the Glock? I'm sort of drawn to the M&P's option to have a thumb safety...

PlatoCATM
11-13-11, 14:56
isn't a glock 19 part of the kit that air force pilots bail out with as well?

it's pretty surprising that a 9mm as universally loathed as the 92 is still the standard issue. I guess in the end handguns have very little to do mission success, still could make a lot of difference for an individual soldier in a bad spot.

Certainly not all pilots. I've yet to see anything other than the M9 actually.

F-Trooper05
11-13-11, 15:47
Is there a citation for this?

Jason Falla told me last month that Delta is using G22's (obviously he could be mistaken, but that's what he told me FWIW). As for SF, if you watch the episode of Tactical Arms where LAV visits Range 37, the CO says specifically "we use M9's and Glock 19's" ( I'm paraphrasing that).

11-13-11, 17:02
Active duty Delta came by to see a friend(one of instructors) last TigerSwan class I had. We specifically discussed pistols and he generally carries a G17 in the field. It was his personal preference. He also said the G17 and 19 were both used by Delta's.

Psalms144.1
11-13-11, 18:39
There are G19s in the field, and they used to be the "alternate" weapon to the 1911 for "Delta." Now the G22 is the primary issue weapon for Delta, though the 1911 is still in use, as is the G19 in some applications where concealment is paramount.

There are also G19s available to issue through SOF channels for concealment applications - but the general issue pistol for the larger Army SF community remains the M9 Beretta.

Regards,

Kevin

SHIVAN
11-13-11, 18:49
Let's not speculate for the sake of answering.

I can't agree more strongly. M4Guru is giving everyone some pretty pertinent information. If you can not, or will not, provide creds to back up your answer, please just absorb what is given by our IP's and SME's.

As a whole site we need to start getting back to first hand information being king.

Thanks all!

jsummers
11-13-11, 18:52
Whoa. I thought I was on TOS for a second.

Does it really matter who carries what? They don't care what you're carrying and what they carry has nothing to do with what you carry.

DeltaKilo
11-13-11, 19:13
Look, everyone, all I'm asking is this:

What kind of pistol works well in hard-use environments? What pistol seems to work best?

I *care* what pistol they use simply because they're going out and doing things more often than anyone else, including most local LEOs. So, frankly, I trust the choice and words of people who go into harm's way in a military context under circumstances that are critical more often than anyone else as input for what I'm considering doing.

No, I'm not planning to deploy to Iraq or A-stan to do any hard-hitting work. I'm not going to need to take down a taliban outpost single-handedly. I'm going to rely on this pistol for matches and self defense.

But, looking at the status of the world right now, I'm inclined to think that preparing for the absolute worst is the most intelligent means of being prepared for anything.

So, I'm hoping that M4Guru would be willing to give me, either here or through PM, some direct information on what works, and so forth. I don't care to know the creds of the people deploying with what or anything that breaks classified status. But I would like some straight answers and less of the cryptic stuff. Is that too much to ask for? heh.

JHC
11-13-11, 19:23
Look, everyone, all I'm asking is this:

What kind of pistol works well in hard-use environments? What pistol seems to work best?

I *care* what pistol they use simply because they're going out and doing things more often than anyone else, including most local LEOs. So, frankly, I trust the choice and words of people who go into harm's way in a military context under circumstances that are critical more often than anyone else as input for what I'm considering doing.

No, I'm not planning to deploy to Iraq or A-stan to do any hard-hitting work. I'm not going to need to take down a taliban outpost single-handedly. I'm going to rely on this pistol for matches and self defense.

But, looking at the status of the world right now, I'm inclined to think that preparing for the absolute worst is the most intelligent means of being prepared for anything.

So, I'm hoping that M4Guru would be willing to give me, either here or through PM, some direct information on what works, and so forth. I don't care to know the creds of the people deploying with what or anything that breaks classified status. But I would like some straight answers and less of the cryptic stuff. Is that too much to ask for? heh.

It's cool. Don't take it wrong. The question you asked gets asked often on other forums and leads to lots of sillyness so that leads to conditioned reflexes here.

But, you are on solid footing to base your decisions on wanting to factor in what pistol the hardest users chose. That's not a bad approach at all. Why experiment and test with thousands of dollars and years of work? It's fun. But when you need to know short term, that's a solid "Spark notes" plan. Gen 2 or Gen 3 9mm Glocks are a pretty safe bet.

jsummers
11-13-11, 19:24
If that's what you want to know, then why didn't you ask that? The way you asked is very "troll-like" and you got the answers you were looking for. As for the answers you really want, they are already out there, you just have to look for the info yourself.

M4Guru
11-13-11, 19:25
Still not one totally factual statement in here which is a good indicator that this isn't a good topic to be discussing. I will not get into unit specific equipment selection as that is a no-go professionally...certainly on the internet.

Brother, the G19 is about as good as it gets if you want one gun to do everything. It's large enough for a duty weapon and small enough to conceal in summer clothes. It's accurate, shootable, and dead reliable, especially a Gen 3 gun. Support for the platform is unparalleled around the world, they're cheap, and are never going away. There's a reason the G19 is the most proliferated non-M9 in the SOF world and it's only gaining ground at every opportunity. I don't see actual pipe hitters carrying M9s much these days.

TOrrock
11-13-11, 19:26
This whole sub forum is filled with excellent information about what's working and what's not working.

Before this thread goes off the rails any more, I'm closing it.

You might want to read through this thread that DocGKR took the time to author.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

SHIVAN
11-13-11, 20:43
I'm going to post in this closed thread to do what other people should do when a SME or IP posts to our board. They should be distilling information provided a/k/a "reading between the lines".

From an identified Subject Matter Expert:

Posted by M4Guru:

Posted by M4Guru:

Posted by M4Guru:
The G19 is the most widespread but certainly not the only one.

A Subject Matter Expert on M4Carbine.net is what the name implies, and in almost all cases served, or is serving, in an SF or Tier 1 unit of some type/capacity.