PDA

View Full Version : Vltor Imod Stock

Brennan
11-13-11, 15:35
I'm starting this thread because I would like to hear some first hand experience about it. I'm leaning more towards this stock because my Magpul ACS is just a hair bulky and on the heavier side, but I still need something with a QD swivel sling attachment. For those of you with one, how do you like this stock? Does it have much wobble to it? Do you like that it is curved under for high shoulder resting?

This is what I am currently looking to purchase, or I may just post mine for trade...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-Basic-IMod-Stock-Standard-p/vltor%20aib-ms%20-black.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Vltor%20AIB-MS%20-BLACK-2.jpg

xbmxracerx
11-13-11, 16:49
I'm starting this thread because I would like to hear some first hand experience about it. I'm leaning more towards this stock because my Magpul ACS is just a hair bulky and on the heavier side, but I still need something with a QD swivel sling attachment. For those of you with one, how do you like this stock? Does it have much wobble to it? Do you like that it is curved under for high shoulder resting?

This is what I am currently looking to purchase, or I may just post mine for trade...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Vltor-Basic-IMod-Stock-Standard-p/vltor%20aib-ms%20-black.htm

I like mine....My DD came stock with the base model Magpul MOE. tight fit with just very little (and I mean little) movement. A definate upgrade and the higher check weld is more comfortable to me at least. The QD wasn't the selling point but it is nice to have if I ever do go to a dual.(rear QD was stock on the DD so I run a SPS).

Way lighter than the ACS....but then again, the ACS has the friction lock plus extra storage as well. I picked mine up at a show 2 weeks ago and a guy that was at the counter as well was looking at the ACS and when he felt the difference, he got the Vltor as well. Just depends if you need the "extra" storage that won't be in a pouch or something.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/219a4049.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/eaf8d341.jpg

kmrtnsn
11-13-11, 16:52
I have both the standard and clubfoot versions and am very happy with both.

markm
11-13-11, 17:05
Running that stock as well as the prior version of it. You'll like it.

Jaysop
11-13-11, 17:05
I bought the tan version as a vltor stock kit from Rainer arms. I like it a lot, much higher quality than I anticipated. It feels more solid than the moe stock I had. By that I mean more capable of taking abuse and holding a lock on. It does have a slight bit of wobble, but not anything to be concerned with.

Brennan
11-13-11, 17:10
I like mine....My DD came stock with the base model Magpul MOE. tight fit with just very little (and I mean little) movement. A definate upgrade and the higher check weld is more comfortable to me at least. The QD wasn't the selling point but it is nice to have if I ever do go to a dual.(rear QD was stock on the DD so I run a SPS).

Way lighter than the ACS....but then again, the ACS has the friction lock plus extra storage as well. I picked mine up at a show 2 weeks ago and a guy that was at the counter as well was looking at the ACS and when he felt the difference, he got the Vltor as well. Just depends if you need the "extra" storage that won't be in a pouch or something.

The friction lock is one option that I love, which made me a bit hesitant. The extra storage isn't a concern, I honestly rarely use it.

Col_Crocs
11-13-11, 17:13
Got it when I was searching for a better cheek weld, which it did deliver. I liked the slope and the width of the buttpad but depending on your shooting style, you may or may not. I have a friend who dislikes it. THe guy runs a CTR or MOE with an enhanced buttpad on all his weapons. Lastly, if youre used to the Magpul friction lock feature, you will notice the wobble. From what I compared, it did more than the MOE and the CTR with the friction lock disengaged. If it bothers you, just put a small strip of tape around the RE.

For the record, I have since switched back to my CTR with the addition of the enhanced buttpad. My weapon shoulders better with it and, IMHO, outweighs the better cheek weld of the Imod.
Dont know how it compares in weight and balance to the ACS and the Imod but have you considered the B5 SOPMOD stock?

Brennan
11-13-11, 17:21
Got it when I was searching for a better cheek weld, which it did deliver. I liked the slope and the width of the buttpad but depending on your shooting style, you may or may not. I have a friend who dislikes it. The guy runs a CTR or MOE with an enhanced buttpad on all his weapons. Lastly, if youre used to the Magpul friction lock feature, you will notice the wobble. From what I compared, it did more than the MOE and the CTR with the friction lock disengaged. If it bothers you, just put a small strip of tape around the RE.

For the record, I have since switched back to my CTR with the addition of the enhanced buttpad. My weapon shoulders better with it and, IMHO, outweighs the better cheek weld of the Imod.
Dont know how it compares in weight and balance to the ACS and the Imod but have you considered the B5 SOPMOD stock?

I've never honestly been a huge fan of the SOPMOD stock... I ran a MOE for a while, but left it for lack of cheek wield. The ACS solved that problem, but it's just too heavy/bulky. I ran an enhanced butt-pad on both, so I wouldn't know what it feels like with a standard.

a0cake
11-13-11, 17:22
Do you have a beard? It may or may not bother you. That's only possible negative with the VLTOR stocks.

Brennan
11-13-11, 17:24
Do you have a beard? It may or may not bother you. That's only possible negative with the VLTOR stocks.

No sir, just scruff normally haha

SteadyUp
11-13-11, 17:25
I run the IMod on both of my AR carbines. The combination of excellent cheek weld, light weight, and good fit with the receiver extension make the IMod a winner in my book. It would be nice if the QD socket was rotation limited, but that is easily fixed with a zip tie through the QD swivel and stock itself.

I've used the Magpul ACS, and while it is a good stock, it seems downright obese compared to the IMod.

Brennan
11-13-11, 18:10
Thanks for all of your input guys, I just made an order with BCM. I can't wait to try it out :D

RD62
11-13-11, 18:27
I think you like the stock.

I love VLTOR stocks (and Magpul for that matter) and run an EMOD but have also used the IMOD.

I really like the cheek weld with these stocks. I always have some type of facial hair from a goatee to a full beard and have not experienced an issue with hair getting caught but I keep it trimmed fairly short too.

I really like the negative pitch of the heel, the triangular profile, recoil pad, latch, etc.

I tried an ACS and it just didn't do it for me.

I have even considered dropping the CTR from my SBR in favor of an IMOD.

Hmac
11-13-11, 18:51
I have iMods on two of my rifles, an eMod on one, and a Magpul CTR on the fourth. The VLTORs are fine, I have absolutely no complaints, but I think I like the CTR better. Locks up nice and tight (tighter than the VLTORs), adjusts easily.

One thing I do like about the VLTORs, they have a little window on the top through which the stock position numbers can be seen (if you're using a VLTOR receiver extension, or want to paint numbers on the top of the RE).

sgtrock82
11-14-11, 00:58
I just put an IMOD on my new carbine and thus far Im a fan. I really like the solid cheek weld. My other carbine has a CTR, which if I were to do again Id just get the MOE. The friction lock always pops loose wile shooting, it might as well not be there. What I like about the vltor in addition to the cheek weld is the rubber buttpad and the multiple sling attachment options (i like options). I also dig the storage capability, though I gotta find a victory cigar that will fit. I also find that mine fits rather nice on the RE, but its a vltor tube so it better fit nice ;)

MarkG
11-14-11, 08:08

How did I know that this Uber Operator beard shit would rear its ugly little head...

The standard IMOD is a great stock. You AND your mutton chops will not be disappointed.

markm
11-14-11, 08:11
How did I know that this Uber Operator beard shit would rear its ugly little head...

The standard IMOD is a great stock. You AND your mutton chops will not be disappointed.

:D Yeah... every stock pulls beard hair against the RE. Nothing any different on the IMOD.

xbmxracerx
11-14-11, 08:50
The friction lock is one option that I love, which made me a bit hesitant. The extra storage isn't a concern, I honestly rarely use it.

You won't miss it......The friction lock that is....:rolleyes:

NCPatrolAR
11-14-11, 09:47
Having used the original mod stock, EMod, IMod, CTR, ACS, etc; I find the IMod to be the best fit for me. The angled cut on the toe of the stock is awesome and was one of the originally selling points of the EMod for me. I was happy to see them carry it over to the IMod

transition2secondary
11-14-11, 10:46
I was running the MOE and CTR on two different rifles and found the cheek weld to be lacking for both. I switched over to the Imod and, for me, it was like night and day. In my opinion, it is a better overall design for my use. I get a much better weld, it is more comfortable after extended periods of time and it is built like a tank. Good quality kit. It's worth the 100 bucks to give it a try.

xbmxracerx
11-14-11, 11:49
Depending on how much you transition the sstock position, one note is that the IMOD is shorter in length than the MOE.

If you look at my pics (posted earlier in the thread), the bottom pic was when I first put in on (the same position that my MOE was) and the upper pic is in the next slot (due to the size difference) so that my eye relief that I was used to did not change.

Just an fyi........:secret:

NV Ranger
11-15-11, 01:11
I've got an Emod on my SBR, Emod on my SPR, and an original Modstock on my lightweight carbine. Love them all! Cheek weld is great with sights or optics. Only use the storage for my NFA paperwork.

VIP3R 237
11-15-11, 02:33

Well it is No Shave November after all.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-15-11, 15:08
Only use the storage for my NFA paperwork.

Actually a pretty good idea.

soldier-of-the-apocalypse
11-15-11, 15:42
the vltor is a bit heavy as well but it is also a verry nice stock it hold your slim jims like a dream

OldState
11-15-11, 20:28
I have run the IMOD through a couple of courses and some carbine shoots at the club.

I like it but I would prefer the EMOD for the longer cheek-weld. Its one of the few things things I ever bought in my life that I didn't thoroughly research. I thought the only difference between the IMOD and EMOD was the storage compartment.

I'm 6' tall and usually run the stock as far out as I can. The front of my cheek is half on and half off the stock.

And, as others said, the QD is not anti rotational making it useless for me. I use a Noveske endplate.

Skyfire1201
11-17-11, 01:26
I can't remember where I read it, but there was a drop test performed by one branch of the US military, where they dropped rifles with Vltor, Magpul, standard Colt, and a few other stocks from helicopters. Vltor stocks are the only ones that survived all drops without breakage, where as all other stocks had various degrees of damage, mostly cracks around the locking detent hole. That's enough to convince me to stick to Vltor, I just wish they make an IMod that's the same weight as the standard Colt stock (0.4lb instead of 0.6lb).

Skang
11-17-11, 01:48
I guess that's why my Noveske came with the Imod in first place. :D

markm
11-17-11, 06:55
I'm 6' tall and usually run the stock as far out as I can. The front of my cheek is half on and half off the stock.

I'd run a fixed stock.

Have you tried the A5 buffer and RE? That thing can run any adjustable stock out longer than an A2 fixed stock.

OldState
11-17-11, 08:04
I'd run a fixed stock.

Have you tried the A5 buffer and RE? That thing can run any adjustable stock out longer than an A2 fixed stock.

No, but I have looked at it. I have a buddy that may want my IMOD so the A5 may be an option.

Also, regarding the IMOD, it had a slight bit of movement but was not as bad as a stock Colt. Someone here recommended using a piece of aluminum tape on the buffer tube under the stock. It works very well.

m4brian
11-17-11, 08:09
I can't remember where I read it, but there was a drop test performed by one branch of the US military, where they dropped rifles with Vltor, Magpul, standard Colt, and a few other stocks from helicopters. Vltor stocks are the only ones that survived all drops without breakage, where as all other stocks had various degrees of damage, mostly cracks around the locking detent hole. That's enough to convince me to stick to Vltor, I just wish they make an IMod that's the same weight as the standard Colt stock (0.4lb instead of 0.6lb).
This?:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/04/15/lwrc-iar-drop-test/

militarymoron
11-17-11, 08:16
I just wish they make an IMod that's the same weight as the standard Colt stock (0.4lb instead of 0.6lb).
if you remove the rubber buttpad and battery compartments, which the standard colt stock doesn't have, they'd be very close in weight.

OldState
11-17-11, 09:14
Though designed for the m16A4, Vltor's website says the A5 system is OK for all AR15 platforms. It uses a rifle buffer and spring. Does anyone have experience using this with a carbine length gas system?

markm
11-17-11, 09:24
Though designed for the m16A4, Vltor's website says the A5 system is OK for all AR15 platforms. It uses a rifle buffer and spring. Does anyone have experience using this with a carbine length gas system?

Sure do...

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/?action=view&current=VID00063.mp4