PDA

View Full Version : 1st Vs 2nd Focal plane on 1 x 4

Travelingchild
11-13-11, 19:52
Searched and understand the difference between the two,
But given other similarities does a first focal plane have any benefits in a illuminated 1x4 optic?
This on a 16 carbine, On 1 x I'll be shooting with both eyes open on 4x would be the only time I'd be using any reticle stadia (or any other marks) lines for any type of hold over. I doubt if I'd ever use the 2xor 3x setting.

Practicality of exposed turrets on same optic, for discussional purposes Vortex pst(exposed) vs Vortex hs?

Do shooters actually take time to dial up/down mils/moa when engaging targets(3gun) or is kentucky windage more/less often used. For 1x4 only in this discussion.

VIP3R 237
11-13-11, 20:15
As far as first vs second focal plane its really personal preference, if you plan on using the reticle on multiple maginification go with first.

Exposed vs capped turrets... If you useyou turrets constantly go for exposed, I personally with a 1-4 am a leave it and forget it guy and I don't want to worry about my zero being shifted accidentaly when I brush my turret or have my gun slide in my case when traveling ect.

Keesh
11-13-11, 21:58
I would say a FFP is not necessary on a 1-4. You're only going to need to range and use the mils/moa at 4x so the extra couple hundred dollars seems like a waste.

In 3 gun, I've never see them dial it down using turrets except on really long ranges like 600 or 700 yards. Those are pretty rare though, I think capped dials are the way to go in terms of simplicity and practicality of a 1-4.

shootist~
11-13-11, 22:44
For longer ranges - past 300 meters or so, you will likely be maxed at 4x (and maybe wanting more), so no need for FFP. A FFP reticle gets thinner at low power as well, which might make it difficult to pick up.

Failure2Stop
11-14-11, 00:42
I personally prefer to retain the ability to rapidly apply hold-over regardless of power setting.
I mostly use mil-holds for ranges out to 300 meters or so, and I have used mil-holds out to 600, but it is rare. The ability to rapidly apply precise elevation change based on range is handy, as it makes it much easier to use a fairly precise mil hold for wind without needing to dial it in.
I have preference for FFP, but I am seriously considering the Swaro Z6i BRT as it's widespread use in practical competition speaks volumes for it's effectiveness. Frankly, it is the only SFP I am interested in.

Alaskapopo
11-17-11, 03:59
I personally prefer to retain the ability to rapidly apply hold-over regardless of power setting.
I mostly use mil-holds for ranges out to 300 meters or so, and I have used mil-holds out to 600, but it is rare. The ability to rapidly apply precise elevation change based on range is handy, as it makes it much easier to use a fairly precise mil hold for wind without needing to dial it in.
I have preference for FFP, but I am seriously considering the Swaro Z6i BRT as it's widespread use in practical competition speaks volumes for it's effectiveness. Frankly, it is the only SFP I am interested in.

Do it (buy the Swarovski) you will love the scope and the sooner the better as the price keeps going up.
Pat

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-17-11, 04:54
Its up to you, I started with SFP optics before I got into the mil and longrange shooting. Now every scope I own is FFP is just gives me one less thng to think about. I use the Horus talon on my spr here is a pic. No turrets just holds it dosent take long to get used to the system at all.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn119/ICANHITHIMMAN/guns0022-1.jpg

Travelingchild
11-17-11, 21:01
I've decided to go with a vortex 1x4 viper hs.
My eyes pic up the reticle quite well, as far as ranging It's be on 4x Would not be shooting past 200yds.

Now what Larue mount? LT 104 or SPR-E LT139?

Alaskapopo
11-17-11, 21:35
I've decided to go with a vortex 1x4 viper hs.
My eyes pic up the reticle quite well, as far as ranging It's be on 4x Would not be shooting past 200yds.

Now what Larue mount? LT 104 or SPR-E LT139?

The LT 104.
Pat

Belmont31R
11-17-11, 21:42
As far as first vs second focal plane its really personal preference, if you plan on using the reticle on multiple maginification go with first.

Exposed vs capped turrets... If you useyou turrets constantly go for exposed, I personally with a 1-4 am a leave it and forget it guy and I don't want to worry about my zero being shifted accidentaly when I brush my turret or have my gun slide in my case when traveling ect.

Its not really personal preference if you break down the differences into facts. FFP the reticle stays the same size in relation to the target so a ranging reticle can be used on any power magnification.

With SFP the reticle must be viewed through a specific power settting to be accurate.

For instance if you have a mil dot scope on a 1-4X...with a FFP the mil dot reticle would be able to be used on any power setting for ranging the target. With a SFP the power would have to be set at a specific setting, say 4X, for the mil dot to be accurate.

Speaking from my experience with the Short-Dot I view this optic as a cross between the ACOG and Aimpoint. On 1.1X the reticle mostly disappears, and you use the optic like an RDS. On 4X its like a precise ACOG. I have shot a 308 out to 750 yards many times on 4X and scored many hits. The misses were very close. Its not a replacement for a 3-12X but the reticle is fine enough it can be used at extended ranges.

Belmont31R
11-17-11, 21:46
I would say a FFP is not necessary on a 1-4. You're only going to need to range and use the mils/moa at 4x so the extra couple hundred dollars seems like a waste.

In 3 gun, I've never see them dial it down using turrets except on really long ranges like 600 or 700 yards. Those are pretty rare though, I think capped dials are the way to go in terms of simplicity and practicality of a 1-4.

Shooting out to 750 yards I had to set the elevation to 23-25MOA, and in the winter with below freezing temps even hold over to the next hash mark down from center. Having capped turrets would limit your shooting to whatever the reticle allows. On most scopes this will limit you much more than some people would want to shoot, and I prefer dialing turrets than using the reticle for aiming points. If you shooting to 500 yards, with a 13 MOA drop, and shooting in 25MPH winds with a 3 MOA hold the aiming point would not be on the reticle itself. Horus has the Christmas tree reticle which people either love or hate.

Belmont31R
11-17-11, 21:46
. A FFP reticle gets thinner at low power as well, which might make it difficult to pick up.

That is what the daylight visible Aimpoint like dot is for.