PDA

View Full Version : DIY Holster- Questions

Quinn
11-13-11, 20:26
Turning 21 tommorow and have started to contemplate what method of carry would best suit me.

I have some limited experience with secret city weaponeers k25 and a g19. It concealed very well but I am already worried about printing and I havnt even started carrying yet.

I live in South Florida and spend most everyday in T-Shirt and Shorts. I would like to try appendix carry because I feel like it would conceal better with my attire.

Interested in pressing my own holsters for many reasons..

How many of you guys carry your DIY Kydex holsters? How many of you are using appendix?

Do you find they print considerably more than a big name companys holster? (obviously dependent on maker but for arguments sake I would like to hear from someone who has mastered making holsters)

Is it a big no-no to carry Appendix with a weaponlight attached?

Thanks!

Mr blasty
11-14-11, 01:28
I would get experienced with carrying a firearm in a more traditional location before going to appendix carry. It's nothing to fool around with since you can kill yourself if you mess up even once. I'm just now thinking about appendix carry after about 3 years of carrying at 4 o'clock IWB. I'm planning on getting something with a safety and carrying dry around the house and practicing religiously for at least a few months before I carry loaded AIWB. My girlfriend is irate with me for even entertaining the idea of AIWB, apparently she is "afraid of losing her cock" as she put it.:jester:

Pax
11-14-11, 11:39
Follow the steps in the make your own holster thread and you shouldnt have any serious printing issues when carrying IWB around 4 o'clock. Doesnt matter what thickness Kydex you use.

AIWB carrying a light-bearing 19 will make you cry every time you sit down, bend over, get in a car, etc. Go ahead and give it a shot, though I expect you'll end up going with ~4 o'clock carry like most people.

Light button downs worn unbuttoned and over t-shirts will probably make you a little more secure with how well concealed your weapon is without overheating you.

You'll get used to the actions that partially expose the weapon pretty quickly. Lifting your arms, bending over at the waist. Sit with your back to the wall as much as you can and it's doubtful that anyone will be paying enough attention to notice. Careful about hugs. That one is difficult to explain.

jenrick
11-14-11, 20:02
AIWB carrying a light-bearing 19 will make you cry every time you sit down, bend over, get in a car, etc. Go ahead and give it a shot, though I expect you'll end up going with ~4 o'clock carry like most people.

I've carried a G34 with a LTR-1 AIWB before without a huge issue. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but wasn't hugely uncomfortable. I'd imagine a short barrel would be much more comfortable.

-Jenrick

Pax
11-14-11, 21:53
I've carried a G34 with a LTR-1 AIWB before without a huge issue. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, but wasn't hugely uncomfortable. I'd imagine a short barrel would be much more comfortable.

-Jenrick

Doable, yes. Preferable... Eh.

At or behind the hip carry has always offered more comfort when seated and more consistency in that the draw from a seated position is the same as standing. The only downside I am aware of is that it sucks to have anything behind the hip IWB when you're shoved to the ground.

Just sayin.. The ability to conceal a fullsize like that with a light probably also depends on body size.

Quinn
11-16-11, 17:21
Thanks for the suggestions. Not really worried about blowing my willy off to be honest. Of course its a concern, but I like to think I have enough discipline not to.

I think I will be putting the cash down for a kydex press and what not as I would like to experiment with the two positions.

ra2bach
11-16-11, 19:24
Thanks for the suggestions. Not really worried about blowing my willy off to be honest. Of course its a concern, but I like to think I have enough discipline not to.

I think I will be putting the cash down for a kydex press and what not as I would like to experiment with the two positions.

you could live without a willy. femoral artery? not so much...

Quinn
11-17-11, 08:38
Im saying I wont nd..

I dont think I could live without my willy, i just turned 21 lol

Would still like some input on some Diy apendix rigs

JohnnyC
11-17-11, 18:39
Im saying I wont nd..

Famous last words! Don't get penisy.

As for the hugging thing mentioned, be aware that you have to get in the habit of being the low hugger. This is just one example of a lifestyle change. If you're concerned about printing but won't take proactive steps to prevent this, maybe you should delay carrying until you can adjust whatever needs to be adjusted. As an example, I've started wearing dickies short sleeve work shirts untucked. It sucks in AZ in the summer, but it's not too bad of an adjustment and let's me carry however I please. Yeah it's a little hotter, but far more concealing that just a t-shirt.

As far as rolling your own kydex, you might want to buy a couple to dissect so you won't waste time and material when you start making your own. There are many styles of holster. Wasting 75 bucks worth of materials to make a crappy imitation that doesn't work well is pretty useless. Buying a 75 dollar holster that works gives you a good base to start from and gives you an idea of what attributes you should be looking to replicate.

Just some thoughts.

Jim D
11-18-11, 10:33
AIWB holster are a LOT harder to make well than pancake type designs.

There are maybe 3 or 4 well made AIWB kydex holsters on the market. There are dozens if not hundreds of OWB kydex holsters on the market.

As long as you're willing to make about a half-dozen different prototypes until you find one that hides the gun, rides and the proper height, is comfortable, etc.... have at it.

sgtjosh
11-18-11, 14:27
I live in South Florida and spend most everyday in T-Shirt and Shorts. I would like to try appendix carry because I feel like it would conceal better with my attire.

Concealed carry is a lifestyle choice. You plan the clothes around the weapon...not the other way around.

60buckscash
11-19-11, 11:57
AIWB is awkward for me. It is physically uncomfortable sitting and drawing and it limits your cover garments (hides better at 3 than 1with a over shirt). I prefer a low riding (back of trigger guard at top of belt) IWB at 4 oclock with a 1 size to big t-shirt. However, if you are able to rock it comfortably then go for it.

As for making a holster youtube can be your friend. Why not make your own kydex press? A yoga mat some scrap lumber and a couple of bolts and you are GTG.

Why are you stuck on the weapon mounted light? Wouldn't it be easier (more holster options, less to conceal, more adaptability, can just use flashlight, smaller gun options) to have a small flashlight either on your belt or in a pocket?

Pax
11-20-11, 02:58
Wouldn't it be easier (more holster options, less to conceal, more adaptability, can just use flashlight, smaller gun options) to have a small flashlight either on your belt or in a pocket?

No.

Handheld lights have their applications. Weapon-mounted lights have theirs. Neither perform the other's function without a downside.

60buckscash
11-20-11, 09:49
The question I was asking of the OP was more along the lines of: why do you feel you need a weapon mounted light? Are you carrying for work (LEO/Security), or privately? Given the downsides of each and since he is new to carrying has he thought of the extra weight, bulk, and lack of holster options? Does he plan on using it to clear buildings at night, or is a piece of gear he would like to have? Will this be more of a hindrance than a help for his normal usage?

Quinn
11-20-11, 15:31
I understand that you dress around the gun and I am ready to do that but I like the idea of my weapon being right in front of me, so I can glance down and tell if im printing (or garment gets snagged and exposes) instead of patting my 4 o'clock.

I dont think I need to explain why I would want a weapon light. Ive been carrying a handheld light for a couple years now. Im not planning on clearing houses ect.. but as another member mentioned they serve two different purposes. Other than the fact that it is heavier and might be harder to conceal I dont see a reason to not have one.

Pax
11-21-11, 00:47
Once you start carrying something IWB regularly, you'll get used to the feel of a shirt pulled up over the gear and a shirt hanging naturally over it. You wont need to visually inspect your waistline to know that something is probably wrong.

Go ahead and try AWIB if its that important to you. There are those that it works for and I dont know what your body type is. But theres generally a reason why popular techniques are popular. And the dominant method of carry here is IWB ~4. Jus sayin. Youre probably going to end up there.

Quinn
11-21-11, 10:20
You might be right, cant hurt to try both..Thanks for the input!

DWood
11-22-11, 11:12
I live in Miami and carry OWB in a Raven Concealment Phantom at 4:00. With the correct shirt size to cover the holster untucked, it does not print. Get over wearing muscle T-s if you want to carry efficiently. As others stated, you need to learn what carrying and the clothes you wear feel like and you will not have to look to see if you are printing.

I would like to make my own kydex holsters, but would not have considered making my own without having tried multiple commercial holsters first.

As far as I am concerned, appendix carry violates the rule of not covering yourself with your muzzle as soon as you holster up. It is not for me. Others love it, good for them. Also as stated, if you are so cofident that you will never have a negligent discharge, you probably have the wrong mindset for CCW.

Having tried the best IWB and OWB holsters, I only carry OWB when I carry on the belt. Learn to do it right and no one but you will know what you are wearing.