PDA

View Full Version : Safariland 6004 for M&P9/TS/X300; MLS for UBL?

TehLlama
11-14-11, 04:51
I have actually come up short googling for a specific model number for the 6004 holster intended for the S&W M&P 9/40 Full Size Thumb Safety for X300/X200. I've found a close configuration on copquest, and figure I can heat gun a minor issue, but I figured that wasn't the rarest configuration ever.

[ETA] Mr. Lau @ 10-8 mentions the 6004 2190-xxx as the M&P9/X300 unit, but not sure if the TS would be a different model.

Next item is an idiot check on the MLS line of attachment parts.

I have a UBL I intend to mount from a belt, and use multiple holsters (3) with. Will I be able to run a single MLS-18 with the guard, and then purchase 3 MLS-15 units to mount to the holsters? I don't need any rotation or anything, I just want to be able to run the same belt and pistol tacos with different pistols/configurations.

JSantoro
11-14-11, 09:44
Yes.

I've used the MLS system to swap holsters (M&P9 and 45, and 1911) for some time. One plate, on a UBL, and as many forks as I have holsters.

Recently swapped over to QLS, but may not be liking the change in ride-height that creates, but same thing: one plate, many forks.

SWATcop556
11-14-11, 15:00
I use the QLS mounted to a UBL on a HSGI belt and other than the fact that it drops the ride height a little bit lower than I would like, it works for my needs. Like Jim said, one mount with many forks.

Does the MLS keep the ride higher, Jim? I've never used one before.

JSantoro
11-14-11, 17:29
Yeah, just higher enough to bake my noodle for a little bit. The QLS was just the right height, but I managed to pop one, so I decided the give the MLS a try.

Still good; I'm just in an adjustment period, and may give a slight forward cant a try.

TehLlama
11-17-11, 07:08
Oh, I came to the right place.
My plan was to run it off an HSGI Padded belt (FirstSpear or 215Gear inner Cobra belt) with a UBL to mount the MLS off of.

JS, I'm going to assume that you like the high-riding thigh rigs as well if it has to be (from older setups), and the UBL as an intermediate/hip height option is what got your interest?

If I can get confirmation that it's the right holster for the pistol/light combo, I'll pull the trigger on that right meow.

JSantoro
11-17-11, 09:06
Yeah, I get the best results from the top of the gun being at or below the top of the belt (SOC-C for me). Lower works just fine for me, but I prefer higher.

The QLS rides about .5" higher than the MLS, but I've built a bridge and gotten over it.

One thing with the UBL setup...the draw needs to be as straight up as can be done. The UBL is less forgiving of a crappy draw than any leg-strap holster arrangement; since the muzzle end of the holster is unrestrained and the UBL allows for inboard/outboard flex, the muzzle-end of the holster can move with whatever off-angle the shooter induces.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3172/doitx.jpg

I had to "melt" my holster IOT use my DG switch. Is that your diabolical plot, as well, or is that for the TS on the gun?

TehLlama
11-18-11, 03:56
I had to "melt" my holster IOT use my DG switch. Is that your diabolical plot, as well, or is that for the TS on the gun?

My oldest 6004 fits the DG switch really well for my 1911, so I haven't needed to mess that yet. The melt would be for the thumb safety - biggest peeve I've had to date (and this is admittedly minor) is that sometimes if I'm in any position other than standing the safety will get nudged down during the draw stroke by dragging on the side of the holster with Ambi safety 1911's. Less than ideal, but something I see with the M&P being likely to repeat itself.

Yeah, I get the best results from the top of the gun being at or below the top of the belt (SOC-C for me). Lower works just fine for me, but I prefer higher.

The QLS rides about .5" higher than the MLS, but I've built a bridge and gotten over it.

I'm fine with lower, so MLS was the right choice. I already checked out right before seeing your post, so, uh, yeah.