PDA

View Full Version : best quad rail mount for ak

mannythegreek
11-14-11, 14:47
Hello,

I have an sgl 21 with a midwest industries quad rail. The rifle is a great shooter, but after two to three magazines it becomes very loose. I understand utg, ultimak, and mako offer quad rails. Are any of these options better than the midwest industries rail?

Thanks

Mannythegreek

High Tower
11-14-11, 16:48
Out of those you listed, I would only consider the Ultimak. But then I personally would really only consider that mount anyway. I like how low the optic sits on their rail.

I have yet to be impressed by anything made by Tapco or UTG.

96 SS
11-14-11, 19:21
The Ultimak is THE standard in AK rails.

NCPatrolAR
11-14-11, 20:10
The Ultimak is THE standard in AK rails.

The heavy standard. ;)

lloydkristmas
11-14-11, 22:51
Have you tried loctite on the screws of the Midwest rail?

If youre just looking for rails for illumination or a VG, the Midwest should be fine. If you want to run an optic, then I'd make the move over to Ultimak.

kmrtnsn
11-14-11, 22:55
I wish that either Samson would make their top rail lower, or optic specific like the M.I./U.S. Palm, or that M.I./U.S. Palm would make their rail longer, like the Samson. As it stands right now, no one makes the AK rail that I want.

96 SS
11-14-11, 23:00
They are making a longer MI one.

kmrtnsn
11-14-11, 23:56
They are making a longer MI one.

Really? I'll continue to wait. How about a shorter, wider-topped fixed stock with nice eye relief and cheek weld for using a T1 or a Pro? If not, would you suggest that?

BCmJUnKie
11-15-11, 00:00
Have you tried loctite on the screws of the Midwest rail?.

That would make too much sense

Im planning on the M.I in FDE.

It looks pretty cool

Jay Cunningham
11-15-11, 07:54
The heavy standard. ;)

Agree on both counts. I tried to get them to make a thinner-walled (lighter), narrower version of the lower rail with built in QD sling mounts with rotation limiters at the rear...

They swore they were going to look into it, but they haven't refined the basic design. It's still solid as a rock, though.

I've come to find that with a little imagination, you can get almost everythong you need off of just the top rail (optic, sling mount, weaponlight).

96 SS
11-15-11, 08:31
Really? I'll continue to wait. How about a shorter, wider-topped fixed stock with nice eye relief and cheek weld for using a T1 or a Pro? If not, would you suggest that?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about making a new butt stock? If so - I happen to think you are wrong. The AK polymer stock is one of the best stocks I have used. I love them, especially in AK-100 folding configuration.

kmrtnsn
11-15-11, 09:32
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about making a new butt stock? If so - I happen to think you are wrong. The AK polymer stock is one of the best stocks I have used. I love them, especially in AK-100 folding configuration.

I was hoping maybe they were working on a stock too. I have never liked the AK stock (stuck with fixed here) and the options out there are a bit limited.

Do you have any intel on when the rail might me forthcoming?

ginarik
11-15-11, 11:07
Kreb's Custom also makes a rail for the AK. I haven't had any experience with one though.

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

mannythegreek
11-16-11, 13:32
Do all of the quad rail systems heat up and therefore loosen up? I know the ultimak setup with gas tube rail is good to go, but I want to keep the original gas tube as it hasnt failed me yet. By the way, I have tried loctite, but I want to be able to remove my gas tube once in a while to thoroughly clean it.

Are there any decent alternatives that do not loosen and that you can keep the stock gas tube?

Thanks!

-MannytheGreek

DSZM4
11-16-11, 13:54
The UTG is actually a real good rail based off the SWISS B&T design its very solid and a tad heavy but does not get as hot as the MI IMHO

Kyohte
11-16-11, 14:45
I had my MWI rail loosen once (I did use loctite). I re-positioned it and tightened the hell out of it (with more loctite). It hasn't moved since.

lloydkristmas
11-16-11, 15:54
Do all of the quad rail systems heat up and therefore loosen up? I know the ultimak setup with gas tube rail is good to go, but I want to keep the original gas tube as it hasnt failed me yet. By the way, I have tried loctite, but I want to be able to remove my gas tube once in a while to thoroughly clean it.

Are there any decent alternatives that do not loosen and that you can keep the stock gas tube?

Thanks!

-MannytheGreek

I never had a problem with my MI rail loosening up, but it was on a 5.56 AK so maybe it wasnt taking as much recoil/shock?

Another poster mentioned UTG. Theyre cheap, hobby grade rails, but they'll work just fine if all you want to do is stick a light or VG on your weapon. They wont be overly lightweight or perfectly machined but they will work without breaking the bank.

If youre thinking seriously about adding a forward mounted optic to your AK, then the ONLY option you should be considering is the Ultimak.

blackbox
11-17-11, 00:23
The UTG is actually a real good rail based off the SWISS B&T design its very solid and a tad heavy but does not get as hot as the MI IMHO

that is exactly why I purchased the UTG!!! The UTG is the best bang for the buck!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/blackmagic619/IMAG0376.jpg

Midwest Industries
11-17-11, 09:30
If your rail is coming loose you never put thread loc on the screws . If you do these rails do not loosen.
TROY
MI

d90king
11-17-11, 10:22
I've come to find that with a little imagination, you can get almost everythong you need off of just the top rail (optic, sling mount, weaponlight).

Agreed, its also still lighter than using the MI which personally I think really messes with the balance of the platform.

I am going to add one on a VZ58 project.

Marc
11-18-11, 05:00
Ultimak all the way

http://gi149.photobucket.com/groups/s57/M9I25PT9NR/TheWildOnesII.jpg

All these are real pieces of course :-))

1966 modified AKM.
AK102.
AKSU.

CGP
11-18-11, 09:15
Ultimak all the way

http://gi149.photobucket.com/groups/s57/M9I25PT9NR/TheWildOnesII.jpg

1966 modified AKM.
AK102.
AKSU.

Those are nice! With the the evil third axis pins nonetheless. :) :)

CGP
11-18-11, 09:38
Double post

polymorpheous
11-21-11, 20:19
Ultimak all the way

1966 modified AKM.
AK102.
AKSU.

You sir, are my hero!

mannythegreek
11-21-11, 21:41
You sir, are my hero!

You have a wicked setup there!

Marc
11-22-11, 01:58
Thank you all.

eodinert
11-23-11, 16:24
I'm running an MI rail with the US Palm/T1 upper on my Krink for action shooting. After shooting two matches, I noticed it was sliding fore and aft (I used the thread locker). Is there a torque spec for the screws on the MI mount?

I still like the MI mount better than the Ultimak (or anything else I've seen out there), as the gas tube on an AK gets dang hot after a lot of shooting, and I really don't want to bake my optic.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/eodinert/guns/Krink/IMAG0086.jpg

armakraut
11-23-11, 16:58
Who makes that stubby forward grip?

I'm running an MI rail with the US Palm/T1 upper on my Krink for action shooting. After shooting two matches, I noticed it was sliding fore and aft (I used the thread locker). Is there a torque spec for the screws on the MI mount?

I still like the MI mount better than the Ultimak (or anything else I've seen out there), as the gas tube on an AK gets dang hot after a lot of shooting, and I really don't want to bake my optic.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/eodinert/guns/Krink/IMAG0086.jpg

kmrtnsn
11-23-11, 17:00
Thick, thick, flame resistant gloves!!!

eodinert
11-25-11, 13:51
ProMag, believe it or not. I think I paid a whopping $12 for it, new. I does what I need it to do, and have since bought another.

Midway has them.

MilitaryArms
11-25-11, 20:05
I've used most of the rails on the market.

I prefer the Midwest Industries rails, and I have them on many of my AK's.

If your rail is coming lose, chances are you need to contact MI for shims. Not all AK's are made equal. I've seen SAR's with two radically different barrel profiles. Some are stepped, some are tapered and some are thinner than others. MI uses an average between popular brands, which means some will fall outside of the range. That's why MI offers shims to their rail owners.

Give them a call before you write the rails off. I like them, more than Ultimak.

oef24
11-25-11, 22:17
How is the co-witness with that UTG rail and your optic?

O

d90king
11-26-11, 11:21
I've used most of the rails on the market.

I prefer the Midwest Industries rails, and I have them on many of my AK's.

If your rail is coming lose, chances are you need to contact MI for shims. Not all AK's are made equal. I've seen SAR's with two radically different barrel profiles. Some are stepped, some are tapered and some are thinner than others. MI uses an average between popular brands, which means some will fall outside of the range. That's why MI offers shims to their rail owners.

Give them a call before you write the rails off. I like them, more than Ultimak.

Why? Has MI had anything to do with your YouTube channel? Have you done any vids featuring their products?

MilitaryArms
11-26-11, 12:15
I've featured the Ultimak and the MI rails in videos. I bought my Ultimak rail before the MI rails were on the market. I bought my first MI rail when they first released. I've done testing to measure heat build up and found that the MI rail ran cooler.

I tested the accuracy between the two and found no measurable difference in performance.

I ultimately decided on the MI system because of the fact it runs cooler and has several dedicated mounts that allow me to use optics I prefer, and they allow co-witness. I also like that I have other rails available for additional accessories like the AFG, which I've gotten very used to on my AK's.

I have no association with any manufacturer or vendor. I accept no kick-backs for items I feature in my reviews and I accept to advertising money.

Alaskapopo
11-27-11, 02:25
I have had no trouble with my MI mount on my AK.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AK%2047/SL21AK47.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgfxdhz4o9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBrHbn7ohHo

Doc. Holiday
05-18-12, 12:55
So I've read the posts and I have been on the hunt for a free floating AK handguard or Rail system. Everything I have read or found seems to hug your barrel thus making it less accurate.

Have I missed any companies? Do free floating rails or hand guards (with rails on it) even exist?

-Drew

polymorpheous
05-18-12, 13:39
So I've read the posts and I have been on the hunt for a free floating AK handguard or Rail system. Everything I have read or found seems to hug your barrel thus making it less accurate.

Have I missed any companies? Do free floating rails or hand guards (with rails on it) even exist?

-Drew

I've never heard of one.