PDA

View Full Version : Colt barrel or BCM/DD? for a much needed upgrade.

dpaqu
11-14-11, 20:05
I’m trying to upgrade my bushmaster HBAR 16” carbine (I know I know...) as inexpensively as possible. I’m eyeballing a online retailers $300 dollar deal on a slightly used (30 rounds is what they are saying) Colt barrel, BCG and charging handle but I’m tempted to step up to a CHF DD or BCM barrel and bolt for more $$$. I’m not even thinking about middy or carbine gas system just basic barrel durability and quality.

Thoughts?

ssgjason
11-14-11, 20:30
Those with a better understanding will help you out but I have a few things to offer and questions to ask.

Are you having problems?
What have you done to/with this rifle so far?

Honestly, I would shoot it. And as things wear and break, such as extractors, bolts, springs. I would replace them with high quality parts.
I may go for a heavier buffer, though.

Eurodriver
11-14-11, 20:50
It would be easier to sell the Bushmaster and buy a new rifle.

That's what I did, and I'm glad.

Col_Crocs
11-14-11, 22:07
IM with Eurodriver. If this route is feasible in your case, this is what I recommend doing as well. That way, you start fresh with a quality weapon through and through.

dpaqu
11-15-11, 10:59
Even if I go to a new rifle question remains. Colt or BCM/DD? Even though I know it matters little I can't help but wish colt made CHF barrels.

QuietShootr
11-15-11, 11:06
If you can get one of the Colt Canada made 6920s, I believe they do have HF Diemaco barrels.

Belmont31R
11-15-11, 11:11
Even if I go to a new rifle question remains. Colt or BCM/DD? Even though I know it matters little I can't help but wish colt made CHF barrels.

All are good brands. I would not put too much thought into CHF unless you are doing a lot of drills and expending a lot of ammunition. Regular 4150 barrels still work very well and you would have to work hard to wear one out.

That said if its in your budget why not?

I am partial to BCM just because they offer so many factory options its kinda hard not to find a setup to your liking that they offer. Or you can always have someone put something together for you.

JackFanToM
11-15-11, 12:06
Go here, look at all three, play with options, look at cost, and make a decision. All 3 are quality, so you will be pretty hard pressed to make a bad decision...unless you have no clue what you plan to do with the rifle...

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home

dpaqu
11-15-11, 14:09
If I replace the barrel and BCG and make sure everything is staked properly how much of a practical difference is left?
FWIW I don't mind piecing a rifle together. ARs are a lot easier than AKs in this regard.

crusader377
11-15-11, 14:35
I’m trying to upgrade my bushmaster HBAR 16” carbine (I know I know...) as inexpensively as possible. I’m eyeballing a online retailers $300 dollar deal on a slightly used (30 rounds is what they are saying) Colt barrel, BCG and charging handle but I’m tempted to step up to a CHF DD or BCM barrel and bolt for more $$$. I’m not even thinking about middy or carbine gas system just basic barrel durability and quality.

Thoughts?

I actually would just sell your bushmaster at a local gun show. I would imagine you should get $600-$700 easy. Maybe you can put a cheap Tapco scope and UTG rail and sell it for $900-1000:) just kidding. I would use that money along with your $300 and get a new Colt/DD/ or BCM of your choice.

fixit69
11-15-11, 16:04
Piecing one together is a good move if:
1. You know how
2. You have or have access to tools required to do so
3. Have parts available
4. ETC...

When you add it up,it's usually cheaper to sell current whatever brand and get what has got your attention.

ETA: you won't go wrong with the brands you named off.

C4IGrant
11-15-11, 16:31
If you can get one of the Colt Canada made 6920s, I believe they do have HF Diemaco barrels.

Interesting fact, Colt advised me that they tested their standard barrels against the Colt HF barrels and there was no difference in accuracy and longevity.

C4

dpaqu
11-15-11, 16:57
Thats is interesting.

m4brian
11-15-11, 17:05
Interesting fact, Colt advised me that they tested their standard barrels against the Colt HF barrels and there was no difference in accuracy and longevity.

C4

This IS interesting, but maybe not surprising. I have the "Filthy 14" article, and it is still a serviceable rifle shooting 2" groups at 50 yards with a dot, after over 31,000 rounds. It is a 4150 Mil-B-11595E. Maybe someone knew something when they finalized the spec. :cool: Especially if you are NOT shooting full auto.

I went through the same thought process recently in whether to try a DD CHF LW barrel on a reputable build - non DD, or just order the BCM LW upper which is 'ONLY' 4150 - went BCM along the same logic.

dpaqu
11-15-11, 18:06
Does the chrome negate the surface hardness advantages of the HF process? Has anyone had a negative experience with tier 1 non HF barrel?

Who makes good 4150 barrels other than colt, BCM and DD?

Terlingueno
11-15-11, 18:40
I bought "the deal" from that retailer a week ago. The Colt 14.5 M4 barrel and the Colt FA BCG were in basically unfired condition. I put 300 rounds through that barrel today. No issues. I am satisfied with a Colt barrel and BCG for $299

steelonsteel
11-15-11, 18:56
A whole new upper from bravo company would only be like $500, and you'd have new everything, and EVERYTHING would be in spec. That would be my path, were it me.

samuse
11-15-11, 19:03
Does the chrome negate the surface hardness advantages of the HF process? Has anyone had a negative experience with tier 1 non HF barrel?

Man I've researched hammer forged vs standard AR barrels all the way to the end of the internet. I came to the conclusion that its a different process [to make the same barrels] that ends up costing more.

I would just scour the classifieds until you find a barrel you like.

I would really just sell the whole rifle and get something I liked more.

MarkG
11-15-11, 19:28

First off, BCM doesn't MAKE anything, especially barrels.

Second, hard chrome is HARDER than hammer forged steel. So no, it doesn't negate anything.

Magic_Salad0892
11-15-11, 19:31
I'd get a Colt barrel from SAW.

They seem to have decent prices.

IIRC I forget what site I saw it on, but I think Cheaper Than Dirt had unfired Colt SOCOM profile 14.5'', or 16.1'' CAR Gas barrels for like $380.

Iraqgunz
11-16-11, 01:28
I am 99% sure that your Bushy HBAR will also not have M4 feedramps which you need to factor into the equation. If I were you I would clean it up (I assume it's not new) and then sell the entire upper to include BCG.

Then buy a quality upper and BCG from someone else. Otherwise you are just chasing the unicorn.

Thoughts?

justin_247
11-16-11, 01:39
Colt SP6920 upper upgrade kit:
http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/tabid/62/ProdID/301/CatID/35/Default.aspx

Buy it and be done.

polydeuces
11-16-11, 16:58
I bought "the deal" from that retailer a week ago. The Colt 14.5 M4 barrel and the Colt FA BCG were in basically unfired condition. I put 300 rounds through that barrel today. No issues. I am satisfied with a Colt barrel and BCG for $299

Where on earth did you find that????

If that deal is still around I'd say that would pretty much end this discussion; you really could not do much better than that - would be my pick - any time.
Only other option would be to go all new.

Terlingueno
11-16-11, 17:03
Where on earth did you find that????

If that deal is still around I'd say that would pretty much end this discussion; you really could not do much better than that - would be my pick - any time.
Only other option would be to go all new.

Clyde Armory
http://clydearmory.com/accessories/ar-15-parts.html?SID=dv122nnd9s8a4vcsn43b0bpaq4

polydeuces
11-16-11, 18:05
Hmmm...Colt barrel assembly and BCG for less than $300...and not even a gas tube...what a rip off!

:happy:

Cameron
11-16-11, 19:57

C4

That has been my argument for a long time. In a semi auto AR15 a decent stainless steel barrel makes sense, or a standard chrome lined mil spec barrel for a high round count training rifle. I have two with SS barrels and two with standard chromed mil spec and see no real need for the extra expense of a hammer forged barrel.

Cameron

usmcvet
11-17-11, 20:03
Sell the complete upper and buy what you want. It is not worth polishing a turd. It can be done. It it is still a turd.

Dunderway
11-17-11, 22:56
Damn, you let that deal out! I need to buy one quick now.

Also, I got a little beat up in a thread here not to long ago, for suggesting that CHF might not make that big of a difference in longevity. This is an interesting drift from that.

dpaqu
11-18-11, 16:43
To late bro. I should have jumped on it myself. What they have left I'm not all that interested in.