PDA

View Full Version : 30 mm vs. One-Inch

Jwalker
11-14-11, 20:30
Is it worthwhile to buy a 30mm scope if I already have a good one-inch scope? I've used my Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x on other rifles, so I know it's good.

I don't plan to shoot 600 yards, so the additional windage and elevation in the 30mm isn't an issue, and I don't need hashmarks right now. I understand some 30mm scopes use one-inch internals, so would I see additional clarity, light transmission, or sturdiness in a low- or mid-priced lines like the Burris or Vortex, for instance?

Belmont31R
11-14-11, 20:37
The VXIII is a pretty decent scope with a proven track record. You don't need to sell it, likely taking a big loss, just to go from 1" to 30MM.

30MM comes from European scopes like Zeiss, SB, and Swarovski where they usually have better glass and higher quality internals (more precise adjustments), and since they are European 30MM is a more rounded number for them than matching 1" to MM. Some US companies have adopted it in certain scopes but its not a make or break type attribute when it comes to optics.

When it comes to travel adjustment with a scope designed to be zeroed, and then the scope caps put on its not near as much of an issue as an externally adjustable scope where you are dialing for each range. It takes a lot of adjustment to go from a 100 yard zero to shooting at 1k yards. For internally adjustable scopes they typically only need to be adjusted enough to zero at 100.

PlatoCATM
11-14-11, 20:37
Will you be using it for anything different than you've used your current setup? If not, then I question why you are even considering it. If you wanted to do more in the realm of long-distance or unknown distance then you may want to consider the multitude of options available such as reticle, tube size, zero stop, lume, and on and on, rather than simply 1 inch vs 30 mm. You can justify spending the money however you want, as I often do, but don't get rid of something that's been working well for you just because someone on the interweb says the new model is better.

Eurodriver
11-14-11, 20:38
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10216

Jwalker
11-14-11, 21:33
Thanks. I'd found some of the older arguments against, and had wondered if anything had changed.

ucrt
11-14-11, 22:09
...I understand some 30mm scopes use one-inch internals, so would I see additional clarity, light transmission, or sturdiness in a low- or mid-priced lines like the Burris or Vortex, for instance?

=======================================

That statement sounds like it came from some gun shop's bozo optic salesman trying to sell a Bushnell over a Swarovski or something. ;)

I've had a few 2.5-8x Leupolds and they have always been reliable but I don't think they really compare to the higher end 30mm's but the Leu's don't cost as much either.

But for a quality image, clarity, stoutness, etc. 30mm scope compared to a Leu's VX-III, if I could swing it, I'd get the 30mm.

But maybe it's just me...

nimdabew
11-14-11, 22:57
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10216

Yeah... It is even stickied at the top with pretty much the exact same thread title too.

Jwalker
11-15-11, 07:30
Thanks, yes, I did see the sticky and other old posts on the subject, as I mentioned.