PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon Copper Fouling Eraser powder. what kind of black magic is this?

fuse
11-14-11, 23:30
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2011/11/12/hodgdon-copper-fouling-eraser/

I have never heard of this, though apparently its been used in military powders.

seems like it would be the titties for the 3 gun crowd, considering how much they shoot and how hot they get their barrels, all while trying to maintain a level of accuracy generally much higher than any other AR shooters.

Raven Armament
11-14-11, 23:53
I've tested a few kegs. I'll continue to use what I'm currently using.

fuse
11-14-11, 23:54
care to elaborate?

Raven Armament
11-15-11, 00:27
It didn't do anything the other powders do and there was no noticeable difference in copper fouling with the bullets I use. It might be geared toward monolithic bullets, such as the Barnes, but Hodgdon didn't say. I don't load Barnes bullets.

When it's available to the public, try a pound or two in different cartridges and see how it does for your needs. My experience is not the gospel, just an anecdote.

Low Drag
04-30-12, 21:02
I just picked some of this up, it looks interesting. I've been loading with Accurate Arms 2230 & 2520 to meet my 55gr & 75gr needs. I like spherical shaped powder in my Dillon 550. I've had no luck with extruded powder.

Anyway, this powder looks like it'll meet the velocity I go for in both bullet weights. If it is at least as consistent/accurate as the AA powders I'm sold. I'll only need 1 powder to do what I like to do.

saddlerocker
04-30-12, 23:15
This powder was tested in a Guns and Ammo article I saw.

They used a bore scope and tested this powder against conventional powder and seemed to show that it left virtually zero copper in the bore and actually eliminated copper fouling left by the conventional loads.

Not something im interested in, but they seemed to show it worked as advertised.