PDA

View Full Version : Browning BLR - Awesome Gun!

Miami_JBT
11-15-11, 05:30
I just acquired a slightly used stainless finish Browning BLR Lightweight 81 in .308 Winchester with the straight grey laminated wood stock. Mine is the non take down model. Paid $650 for it....

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-single-upscale/photo/6/BLR_StainlessTakedown_lo.jpg

Pretty much an amazing lightweight rifle. Yeah, capacity isn't as high as my other lever actions but it is equal to my other bolt guns. Five rounds total (4+1) with a detachable box mag. The rack and pinion system is amazingly smooth and the iron sights are very useful. All in all Browning makes an impressive rifle to rival the modern bolt guns. Can't wait to take this puppy out and bag a pig or two with it.

J-Dub
12-01-11, 09:05
You stole that thing! Have you shot it yet?

I really wish browning would offer a take down model in .338 Federal.

maximus83
12-06-11, 10:28

The "have you shot it yet" would be my question as well. I came within a hair of buying one of these as a lightweight hunting rifle and a "poor man's semiauto" to fall back on should need arise. They look great, and sound great on paper.

Then I've had a neighbor, and a friend, tell me that these lightweight BLR's in .30 or higher give you some serious recoil. They're great for carrying, not so great for SHOOTING, is what I'm told. But I can't verify that.

It will be interesting to hear your range report, I hope it works great for you. Heck, maybe you'll convince me I should take another look at one of these.

Matt C.
12-22-11, 18:54
The "have you shot it yet" would be my question as well. I came within a hair of buying one of these as a lightweight hunting rifle and a "poor man's semiauto" to fall back on should need arise. They look great, and sound great on paper.

Then I've had a neighbor, and a friend, tell me that these lightweight BLR's in .30 or higher give you some serious recoil. They're great for carrying, not so great for SHOOTING, is what I'm told. But I can't verify that.

It will be interesting to hear your range report, I hope it works great for you. Heck, maybe you'll convince me I should take another look at one of these.

I have a lightweight in 358 Win.
Recoil is very tolerable.
Shooting off the bench is interesting but field positions are no problem.

blasternank
01-10-12, 21:26
I really want a BLR. They are such great rifles. accurate and fast handling. I'm looking for one in 7 mm 08! Congrats on the deal!

LHS
01-14-12, 12:19
What kind of accuracy can you reasonably expect out of one of these? I was thinking of one in either .308, 7mm08 or .30-'06 for a deer rifle.

Matt C.
01-14-12, 12:30
What kind of accuracy can you reasonably expect out of one of these? I was thinking of one in either .308, 7mm08 or .30-'06 for a deer rifle.

Less than 2 MOA.

jyo
04-23-12, 03:14
My BLR 308 dates from the mid-80s (steel receiver, non take-down) fitted with a Leupold 1.5-5X scope in Warne quick release lever rings as well as the standard open sights. I had zeroed it using Federal Premium 180 grain soft-points (for pig hunting years ago)---it would reliably put three rounds into 1 1/2" @ 100 yards from a rest---really did not try anything else. I've got to take that puppy out again!

DTHN2LGS
04-23-12, 14:07
One thing about BLR's is that you don't want to take it apart unless you have a slave pin for the gear to put it back together. I don't know if you can buy one, I made mine from drill rod.

hamour
04-30-12, 05:14
My .308 BLR is from the 80's and is steel framed, wears a 3x9 leupold scope and kills every thing that walks in front of it in the woods. Main complaint is the terrible trigger. Out of a deer stand or from behind a log it is a great East Texas rifle.

Here is just a couple of it's victims, there are many more.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Hunting/DSC06727.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Hunting/vboar18.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Hunting/054.jpg

Mac5.56
06-11-13, 22:05
Today was a great day. My father recently retired, and he retired into this bullshit political climate and he wanted to go shooting... The end result was a nice collection of new firearms... :p

One of these guns was a beautiful take down BLR in .270, and of all the guns I shot today it was a dream. The long action of the .270 had my a bit concerned at first as did the sights, but then I shot it.

I thought the trigger was smooth. The sights were dead on and I grouped using a semi prone position within 2.5 MOA on the first four shots I took. The thing that made me the happiest however was the action. Smoothest lever gun I have ever shot.

Our problem with the gun though is that he bought 5 after market magazines from a supplier (who later refunded the money and will remain nameless). All 5 of these mags failed to feed. Yes you read that right, all 5. When we looked at them they were from different manufacturers too. The supplier accepted the return, but the magazines were 50+$ a piece and failed to feed on every shot.

Anyone know of a reliable source for spare magazines for this gun?

Miami_JBT
06-12-13, 20:06

I really wish browning would offer a take down model in .338 Federal.

Love it!!!! Shoot great, very low recoil, and threw a Leupold VXIII on it. Accurate as son of a bitch!